Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

where was your best money spent for advertising?

I'm opening a web hosting company in my area. I just wanted to pick peoples brains and see what worked best for them. Ex: Facebook, twitter...

Quote Originally Posted by Buffcity View Post
    I'm opening a web hosting company in my area. I just wanted to pick peoples brains and see what worked best for them. Ex: Facebook, twitter...
    Unfortunately people won't tell you where they get the best ROI.

The best thing you can do at your stage is to work with your local markets because those clients will work with you, appreciate having someone to go to, and will be more likely to pay a little more.

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of figured no one would want to share their winning recipes.lol I was just looking for a little bit of guidance as to where to start.

Secrets have to be learned, studied...and some common sense. One rule...hosting business IS business. Once you have that concept covered, the answers you need will come much easier.

To get the ball rolling...since your local, take a day and go door to door to local businesses.

The answer to your question is... "it depends".

It depends on who is your target market and what kind of hosting you are trying to sell.

For example, trying to sell low-cost discount budget general web hosting to *everyone in the world* is going to require a much different type of advertising than selling to lawyers or cat-owners in your local business district.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Google adwards is best place for advertisement. Also FB.
    EyHost.Biz | More Hosting Disk Space - 24/7 Support Via Support Ticket
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Master Reseller | Cheap VPS | Backup Service [ USA, Netherland]
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud Servers [Chicago, Phoenix, Dallas - USA , Amsterdam]

Google Adwords, Facebook, Twitter and forums like this one!
    focus in your local market if your business is new
    Want cheap Facebook Likes or RDP(Remote Desktop 1Gbps)? PM
    or search for my threads in the Advertising Forums
    Demo available for both services

I would stay away from things like Facebook ads, but still use social networking. I would suggest the local community and forums like these. It will take time to get things rolling, but once you have it you will find it easier.
    HostClearly.com
    HostClearly Web Hosting
    #WeAreYourBussinessPartner
    Shared, Reseller, and VPS Hosting since 2010!

i've had good results on our local online classified ads website (much like craigslist but you can pay to get more ad exposure). i've tried adwords and fb but i didn't get anything back. I must be doing it wrong or something.

best to know your market well, ask around on what they use if they need anything and go advertise there
    Awesome signature

Facebook Ads are fairly useless unless your targeting a VERY specific target audience. FB will have no problem taking your money though.

Google adsense if your prepared to pay the high rates because its such a highly saturated keyword area.
    1 - Local Markets/Business.
    2 - Forums, such as here.
    3 - Social Media, FB, twitter etc...

Facebook ads have thier use. If you want to build up your FB page likes and want to build a following. Customers from FB may take awhile to cultivate, i.e. they like your FB page see some articles you post etc. at leaset you will always keep your name in front of people and thier friends.

Web hosting keywords are very expensive so you should target local businesses first and then make a fanpage on facebook, from there give special offers and so on. Just my 2 cents..

Quote Originally Posted by Alivedead View Post
    Spend your money here upgrade your membership and post in the adds column.
    I agree to this one! It's worth it!
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

It depends your target group.

Facebook ads , creating a poll or a contest should be a nice idea.
    LinkedIn is little bit expensive but there are ONLY businesses and professionals
    Google Ads, you can bring them to a newsletter page (in your website) and make a poll or a contest (just like Facebook)

Facebook - $$
    LinkedIn - $$$$
    Google - $ -> $$$$$ (be careful on the settings)

Honestly the best return I ever got for advertising was local. I went around town advertising and in 1 day picked up 30 long term customers. Their referrals have turned into 300 customers
    WebHosting should be easy, it should just work.
    Durb.co Web Hosting

Smile

I agree with rymn. Local advertising is great when you are new.
    While still growing, invest in building your brand, providing excellent customer service, and having a Search Engine Friendly (SEO-friendly) website.
    This would aid online advertising when you choose to pursue it a few months later.

The answer really is, "it depends."

If you're going local, I'd say do something on a college campus. Find something the kids there use to communicate and offer a discount there. The school might have a forum or something per se.
    █ █ █

Use Long-Tail Keywords for higher conversion rates in your advertising

The standard answers of where and what site/forums are the same . . . from Google adwords to WHT and many others, BUT how and what you advertise will determine the return on the dollar spent.

When you use the most popular keyword or two in your SEO strategy you cast a very broad net. Focusing a good portion of your SEO strategy on long-tail keywords tend to have less direct competition, which results in lower costs and a better click-through rate (CTR). In addition, the more specific and relevant your keywords are to the search query, the more likely your ad is to display.

Long-Tail Defined: long tail search refers to the more specific (and often more words) but less frequent keyword searches. Look at wikipedia under Long_tail.

For example: "Colocation Hosting" will give you ad the opportunity to come up in many many times more searches, but "Colocation South Tampa" if you were in South Tampa would be displayed for people specifically searching for co-lo in that particular area and have several higher CTR and conversions to sales.

Another Example if you are targeting a particular vertical like Veterinarian practices with hosting needs in Atlanta, your long-tail keywords might be “Hosting Veterinarian Atlanta” for something like that.

You get the idea . . . Good luck.

I want to thank everyone for their opinions.They are much appreciated. I think I will end up taking the local route at first then work my way up as the business grows.I might take everone's advice and also upgrade my membership here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzyBee-Kevin View Post
    It used to be great but with the rapidly declining viewership and increased posters in the advertising forum is really killing it.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Make your site convert first. Then worry about advertising.

Ususally bloging is the best place to advertise.
    you can slo get gust posting for free. meaning that you write a post on someone else blog and in return you put a link for your website.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzyBee-Kevin View Post
    It is a good use of money, mine is set to pay for itself soon

the sticky post on WHT ad forums did quite well for us

its too difficult to secure the good ones though, and they always seem to get scooped even after you do secure them

as an alternative solution, getting a corporate membership for someone in your company and getting them to post regularly in the ads forums also yields a really good ROI

other good marketing strategies include google/bing adwords (if you are strategic about it - focus on secondary keywords, etc - otherwise you can burn through a lot of money quickly and even if the ROI is there with the top keywords, you need a bigger budget to play)

lastly, we have found direct mail marketing to your local areas to be really effective. much more so then we would have thought. stick with specialized/regional types of messages and ensure you get good mailing lists and target the right contacts with the right message/offer

I know its really tough starting out - so, hopefully you find the above useful

Quote Originally Posted by rymn View Post
    Honestly the best return I ever got for advertising was local. I went around town advertising and in 1 day picked up 30 long term customers. Their referrals have turned into 300 customers
    what does "local" mean ? can you explain more ?

Believe it or not just around the city I live in. There are a couple community colleges in the area. I scheduled a lunch with the head of the web design department and explained that I'd like to offer free hosting to the students (extremely small plans). A lot end up upgrading. People happy with my services spread the word to others looking to purchase. Personal recommendation is the best way to get new customers
    WebHosting should be easy, it should just work.
    Durb.co Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    lastly, we have found direct mail marketing to your local areas to be really effective. much more so then we would have thought. stick with specialized/regional types of messages and ensure you get good mailing lists and target the right contacts with the right message/offer
    Andrew, as always, excellent and informative post

Would you mind shedding some more light on the direct mailing strategy? Where do you get the direct mailing list? Also what kind of promotional materials are you sending out?

To me, it doesn't sound like it would have a great ROI but I'd love to hear about your experiences, and anyone else's if they care to share.

Hello Alan,

I dont mind sharing

Quote Originally Posted by AcclaimedHost Alan View Post

Where do you get the direct mailing list?
    you can purchase them from various marketing agencies. I would look for those which specialize in your area and create and maintain the lists themselves (regular follow up calls to verify data, etc)

Also what kind of promotional materials are you sending out?
    it varies. when we started out doing this, we would send out post cards with some sort of offer and call to action to our website. at the time, we targetted technical companies in our local areas

now, we tend to send invites to make an appointment with our one of our account representatives. these days, we tend to focus more on C level executives in mid market companies with this type of marketing activity. Our focal point is more consultative these days - review how they do things in IT today and work with their organization and IT department on solutions to both reduce capital expenditures and helping them make the move "to the cloud". usually its a partial and strategic move of certain services, etc

I could also see this further evolving as time goes on

To me, it doesn't sound like it would have a great ROI
    best ROI we have ever seen in any marketing activity. plenty of reasons for this - but, mostly, direct mail is inexpensive and when regionally centric, from a local vendor - it seems to work really well. I do admit, in the early days, the ROI wasnt as high - but, as we got better with the marketing messages and calls to actions and more targetted with who we were contacting, the ROI really comes through

hope this helps

Personally I would stay away from adsense unless you have a large budget and willing to keep feeding it money.

when not spend a slice of that advertising pie on current customers and work on retentions?

Niche market advertising is usually the best for starting a web hosting company, and then localizing that to your area. Then you can afford to buy those niche keywords with PPC and SEO. Hope this helps! Good luck.
    WordPress Hosting Get a WordPress website you'll loveWordPress web design

Yes, I agree working your current customers (assuming you are not a start-up) and retention has and most likely will always be the most fertile ground for new business.

I think that the best thing to do is to grow your website content. So Google will index more and more pages and you will get a better place in the search results. Also your customer satisfaction is very important, if they are happy, they can refer your business to their friends. You could waste a lot of money with Adwords, without people paying for a account. My best idea is to hire a Indian (from India of course) from freelancer websites. Someone who can do a lot of marketing for you for a cheap price.

advertising money

I spent my best money on advertising doing the following:

1- I got some targeted Facebook ads.

2. I used Google Adwords and I tried to go after the long tail keywords

3. I started an affiliate program and used a software called OSI Affiliate Software to set it up.

4. I started an auto-responder series and use Mailchimp software to setup an autoresponder.

I collected emails by offering my users a free guide to web hosting on Linux and then I took those emails and started to send my users helpful info.

5. I purchased a few ads with buysellads.com in my niche.

6. I wrote a bunch of how-to articles that I thought could help users, so I paid a writer.

7. I purchased a software called Raven Tools to try to start to help me to do better SEO and improve in the SERPS.

all of the things above is where I spent a lot of my advertising money and I am seeing better good success.

Google adwords is superb but they will suck your pocket quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by irfan-EyHost View Post
    Google adwards is best place for advertisement. Also FB.

that is unbelievable. well done! should i give local business' a try?

Online Advertisement

use google adwords and facebook ads for online advertising

You'll see a trend in the replies in this thread: master your local area first. AdSense and other advertising networks are luxury and cash sinks for small and medium-sized businesses.

Hmm, I guess it all depends on your company goals and target audience. LinkedIn would be a great place to start since there are more business minded folk on there. You should also focus on beginning a new SEO strategy in order to enjoy first page rankings on Google. I have a company called GROW deploying all of this for me. Speak to Laura on 04 456 0220 or take a browse on their website: grow.ae

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast