* Switching to my own nameservers

Hello,
    I will soon be in the process of switching my hosting from GoDaddy to an unmanaged, VPS host. I will be running a nameserver on that host for my website as well as a few others that I will soon be hosting. Currently, I am using GoDaddy's name servers for my domain/hosting with them. I see several DNS records on GoDaddy (2 A records, several CNAME, a few MX as well as a text record). From what I understand, once I change the nameservers on that domain to MY nameservers, the records that exist on GoDaddy will be meaningless. Is that correct?

I understand that these records live on the nameserver however I have read that GoDaddy uses DDNS and I do not fully understand that so I am not sure if there are any differences between that and the traditional DNS system.

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by nexus210
    From what I understand, once I change the nameservers on that domain to MY nameservers, the records that exist on GoDaddy will be meaningless. Is that correct?
    Correct.

Are you sure you want to go for unmanaged vps?
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Yes, You are correct.
    Those nameservers would be existing with godaddy. I think you can request them to remove that. Not sure whether they would help on that.

If you change the nameservers to "ns1/ns2.somethingelse.com", then the DNS for your domain will be hosted by "ns1/ns2.somethinglese.com".

So if you are going to be managing the "ns1/ns2.somethingelse.com" and you are asking this kind of question... then you might want to rethink things and maybe *not* host your own nameservers (and DNS).
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Unmanaged VPS? better keep the DNS with GoDaddy or else once the DNS server on your VPS is down, all your services will be affected. If it's a managed one, you can consider having your own DNS and you can change the nameservers to the ones you wish.
    "I thought my jokes were bad"

Quote Originally Posted by simondynaboot View Post
    Yes, You are correct.
    Those nameservers would be existing with godaddy. I think you can request them to remove that. Not sure whether they would help on that.
    One who owns the domain can change whatever they like :p
    "I thought my jokes were bad"