Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site5: How good are they?

It seems my hosting decision has gotten even harder. Between deciding between hosts like Big Scoots and Site 5 who both I am interested in but this past week, I've read some not so positive stuff on the forums here.

Are the complaints for site 5 solely for their Shared hosting or do clients on their VPS have issues with massive downtime and problems getting reliable answers to and from support?

Any words of advice for(or against) site 5?

There's been some shared dowtime (minimal), but never an issue with their Xen VPS
    . I use both. Excellent host!
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    Are the complaints for site 5 solely for their Shared hosting or do clients on their VPS have issues with massive downtime and problems getting reliable answers to and from support?
    I haven't read any major issues for their VPS services recently. There was one, but it was over a charge for setting up SSL i believe. If you don't need/want SSH access, as it's a fully managed service and they don't share that information, then they should meet your needs.

Funny you should mention site5.. as I am a annoyed site5 customer looking elsewhere!

if you want to know how good site5 is.... its offline as we speak....my website.. there main website.. everything! I am with site5 at the moment and want to move...

It down right now with no response... before it was being attacked with ddos and really slow.. no help from support.

Really dodgy emails.... so non of my customer or even me gets a alert that a sale has been made.

WORST EXPENSIVE HOSTING EVER!

...wait correction my ip was just blocked by site5.... dont know why though I only clicked my own website once.

ADELINAhost (Established 2012)
    Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers in more than 10 locations
    https://www.adelinahost.com

It seems my hosting decision has gotten even harder. Between deciding between hosts like Big Scoots and Site 5 who both I am interested in but this past week, I've read some not so positive stuff on the forums here.

Site5 are established. Ben and his team run a respectable operation and you've probably noticed him on here going above and beyond with customers.

Kudos.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

I don't think that we'd label any company that hosts thousands or ten thousands of accounts as "good", "bad", "best", "worst" just like that. We could discuss the way any web host provides support for example (How fast do the do they respond?; Do they do some client side scripting work for Shared customers for example, when there's anything to be fixed); What are their Terms of Service; Do they mislead customers by selling "unlimited"; etc.

Some of the Shared web host that are quite popular for example are nothing but resellers of Soflayer or any other larger IT hosting service provider. This is absolutely fine as long as their users don't speak about them like they have just got a Shared account with a greatest ever company one would find.

It has never been that hard to do stable Shared hosting services as long as: a) the physical servers have enough resources; b) are not oversold; are well-managed; customers aren't allowed to abuse the service. It is different when it comes to Virtualization and bare metal dedicated servers however. The quality of the network and they way the web host manages it is much more important then.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

site 5

Only had a reseller account with Site5 for a few months but in that time I have found support to be excellent and always available via live chat. The staff seem very polite and knowledgable and have answered many of my sales and support questions with great patience and speed. As far as downtime goes, this happens to the best of them from time to time, for various reasons and you can't judge a company on the occasional outage.

Their cpu usage point system however is something I am a little cautious about but haven't had any problems so far and it may be a good thing rather than a restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by coolronny View Post
    never checked personally but not better than hostgator
    Really? Have you seen hostgator reviews lately?

I'd really recommend looking at our 3rd party reviews hosted by Shopper Approved:
    http://www.shopperapproved.com/certi...www.site5.com/

We have 3,561 reviews, of those only 13 are 1 star, 2 are 2 star, and 18 3 star. That is an honest assessment.

One problem with WHT is people just complain about the negative here, they don't talk about the positive. WHT is also not our target demographic, as we charge more than most hosting companies and are not the budget hosts most readers here are looking for. We are after people who have been burned a few times and are looking to pay a few dollars more a month for quality hosting & support.

Thanks, Ben
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Quote Originally Posted by Jamson View Post
    I haven't read any major issues for their VPS services recently. There was one, but it was over a charge for setting up SSL i believe. If you don't need/want SSH access, as it's a fully managed service and they don't share that information, then they should meet your needs.
    Every service we sell comes with full SSH access. We don't charge any fees for that too like other hosts.

Do you mean root access maybe?

Thanks, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by dorky View Post
    Funny you should mention site5.. as I am a annoyed site5 customer looking elsewhere!

if you want to know how good site5 is.... its offline as we speak....my website.. there main website.. everything! I am with site5 at the moment and want to move...

It down right now with no response... before it was being attacked with ddos and really slow.. no help from support.

Really dodgy emails.... so non of my customer or even me gets a alert that a sale has been made.

WORST EXPENSIVE HOSTING EVER!

I'm really sorry to hear that, have you talked to our support team?

Any emergency issues are posted here:
    http://forums.site5.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Plus if any service is down for an hour or more our team sends a detailed report the next day. Certainly DDOS attacks are a big problem on the internet, and we have hardware mitigation at all our nodes, but if the attack is big enough no hosting provider can stop those.

You can also view the real time status of all our shared servers here:
    http://www.site5.com/support/current-status/

And in Backstage of course on your dashboard.

Mail is working just fine for our customers, I'd recommend you let support know so they can help you diagnose the issue . We are here 24/7,
    Thanks, Ben

...wait correction my ip was just blocked by site5.... dont know why though I only clicked my own website once.
    Our team is always happy to tell you specifically what mod sec rule you triggered and why , one visit would never do that though.

Thanks, Ben

In my experience site5 has been great. I had a small VPS with them and never had any major issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bwb View Post
    Do you mean root access maybe?
    Eek, yes, I do. My sincere apologies for causing confusion, it was not intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamson View Post
    Eek, yes, I do. My sincere apologies for causing confusion, it was not intentional.
    No worries

Yep our Managed VPS product doesn't come with root access since we manage those entirely.

Our unmanaged VPS product comes with root though,
    Thanks, Ben

I used to be a Site5 customer, I was thinking of returning to them recently, but then I remembered that the old version of their hosting Control Panel left a bad taste in my mouth. Once I cut ties with them, one website that I used to own stayed on their server even though I removed the nameserver from my domain control panel.

Otherwise, it's a nice host, it can only handle so much. I wouldn't recommend it to a site that does around 50,000 visitors per month, tho. Those kinds of sites would cause these long downtimes.
    Returns after a long haitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiesty View Post
    I used to be a Site5 customer, I was thinking of returning to them recently, but then I remembered that the old version of their hosting Control Panel left a bad taste in my mouth. Once I cut ties with them, one website that I used to own stayed on their server even though I removed the nameserver from my domain control panel.

Otherwise, it's a nice host, it can only handle so much. I wouldn't recommend it to a site that does around 50,000 visitors per month, tho. Those kinds of sites would cause these long downtimes.
    Hi Fiesty,

You should try our free trial, we use cPanel like most hosts. And always have

Yep 50,000 visitors a month to php/mysql driven site on shared hosting is most likely too much for us and any shared host. That wouldn't cause any downtime though, we would notify the customer and upgrade them for free to a VPS while they decided what to do or worked to optimize their site.
    Thanks, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bwb View Post
    I'm really sorry to hear that, have you talked to our support team?

Any emergency issues are posted here:

Plus if any service is down for an hour or more our team sends a detailed report the next day. Certainly DDOS attacks are a big problem on the internet, and we have hardware mitigation at all our nodes, but if the attack is big enough no hosting provider can stop those.

You can also view the real time status of all our shared servers here:

And in Backstage of course on your dashboard.

Mail is working just fine for our customers, I'd recommend you let support know so they can help you diagnose the issue . We are here 24/7,
    Thanks, Ben
    Sorry site5, I got it wrong site5 is great my problem was because of blocked ip nothing more... I would advise site5 too anyone actually as they are quite good... I just jumped in and started posting when I shouldn't have probably because I have been scammed by so many hosts that I was like "NOOOOO NOT AGAIN!"
    but I got it wrong... Great uptime and affordable... much better than most of the smaller guys who carnt speak English and promise 99.9% uptime but aren't. The only problem I do have is with emails but I dont know if that's my fault or not.

So I am sorry site5... it is one of the best on these forums... Me I just dont have any patience and start shouting about for no reason so sorry5 and thanks for the good hosting.

I just jumped in and started posting when I shouldn't have probably because I have been scammed by so many hosts that I was like "NOOOOO NOT AGAIN!"
    I completely understand this. We all do it at some point. It get s much worse when we're stressed out already, and have things to do. And then the host we rely -- to do the work that causes the stress! -- is suddenly not working properly.

It gets worse when a lowly L1 tech says something stupid.

But you have to have more patience, and think it through calmly and clearly.

At least you admit it. Very mature and respectable.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I actually came here because I'm a Site5 customer looking for new hosting.

I've been using Site5's shared hosting since 2005 (I've been on eos, moray, and s6-chicago servers, that I can remember). It's $10/month (which I consider reasonable for good service) and it's been more than enough to cover my simple webhosting and email needs. The cPanel and web-based configuration stuff can be limiting at times, but I've been able to do pretty much everything I need to with SSH access. I am using an outside DNS provider to be able to have the functionality I need, as it's simply not possible with Site5's shared hosting. In all those years, I've only noticed downtime a handful of times, and it was usually for a very short period.

My biggest general issue was the migration when they joined up with ThePlanet (invisibill.net/2009/01/01/server-migration-complete/). They sent me an email saying they were starting the migration and not to do anything until I got another email. I never got another email. I opened a ticket to see if the migration had been completed (as instructed in their forums). They never actually told me if my site had been migrated, but it eventually was up again, though it had Apache/PHP errors. After some messing around (and nothing useful from their support), I found that my site had apparently been copied bit for bit, and some of the webserver configuration files that were necessary on the old server were breaking the new server. I'm in IT and understand that migrations are a huge pain, but Site5's support blew it on this one - they were the stereotypical clueless helpdesk, suggesting things unrelated to the actual problem and not actually addressing my direct questions.

Site5 seems to be going downhill lately. It seems like every time they "upgrade" something, it breaks something else. I eventually get it fixed, just in time for them to muck with something else. Admittedly many people probably won't need all the little tweaks I like.

The latest change, the straw that broke the camel's back, is an upgrade to the email anti-spam system. They've added SpamAssassin tests that check the shared clearinghouses (which in my experience are great at telling you if an email is "bulk" but horrible at telling whether something is actually spam) and replaced the Bayesian filtering with CRM114 (which means my years of training are now useless and CRM114 doesn't seem to be too accurate yet - Support says I should be able to re-enable Bayes, but it's not actually working so the ticket's been escalated). It's getting better as I retrain it and remove the new test plugins, but there's a lot of incorrect filtering going on right now (a friend also has Site5 hosting, and is having even worse luck with SA). They've also implemented an outgoing spam filter. In theory, this is a nice feature (stopping spam before it even gets sent), but it completely blocks attached .eml files (i.e. "forwarding as attachment"). This means I can't report spam to SpamCop (spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/166.html) or any other legitimate actions that require forwarding an email intact. Support says that this can't be changed on the shared hosts ($10/mo) and that I'd need to get a VPS ($65+/mo) if I want to do that.

Overall, I've been happy with my Site5 shared hosting, but they just keep causing me little problems. As time goes on, the problems seem to be getting bigger and more frequent. If they're going to go so far as to block me from forwarding emails, I really need to find a new host.

I would think it depends on your needs and wants. No host is the best host unless you say so for yourself which means of course they are best because they are able to serve you with quality hosts as compared to someone with a more intensive site may not say they are the best because their site doesn't preform smooth on their server / services.

Looks like the site5 guys got you a whole heap of info, if you need anything from us, please feel free to ask.
    BigScoots.com - 98% of Clients Stay With Us Forever
    Offering Fully Managed Shared & Reseller Hosting
    Specializing in Managed WordPress, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    Opened 2010 & 100% Positively Reviewed Since | 100% Network Uptime

I heard both them are very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast