How important is a popular control panel?

How important, exactly, is a popular control panel? I was thinking of making my own (not just for the control panel, to also learn more about the *nix system and hosting tools in general), but if customers are afraid to sign up because of it, what's the point?

Still, I would rather not depend on other companies for such a vital part of my business (see ensim's huge upgrade costs and Cpanel's "surprises").

Providing that I set up a nice demo, and that my CP has pretty much the same features and interface as Cpanel (as well as the security found in ensim), would that be enough for customers, or would they want one of the popular Control Panels instead?

Popularity has nothing to do with it. If the CP is easy to use, people will signup. End of story.

Thanks for the reply, that's good news. I remember someone said that one of the keys to a good hosting company is a popular control panel (so that users would know that they could always move to another host with ease )

Originally posted by dimva
    . . . . .I remember someone said that one of the keys to a good hosting company is a popular control panel (so that users would know that they could always move to another host with ease )
    Well, that would be a reason 'to' use a "popular" control panel.

But, if you have a good cp with a demo, I don't see where it would matter to a lot of hostees. However, if they're looking for a particular panel, that's what they're doing.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Hey I would drop cpanel is a second for another cp that was as feature rich and cheaper .
    I offer multiple domains per an account and this is the business model I have chosen, to be able to use that business model I need to be able to offer "add-on" domains and cpanel is the only CP that does it this way, so cpanel was chosen as the CP.

Some people go for the big names, others don't. Personaly, it's my goal to get a variety of servers running as many as possible. If the panel works well, it will be used.

If it works really well, you could sell it =)

Originally posted by SpiritAu
    Hey I would drop cpanel is a second for another cp that was as feature rich and cheaper .
    I offer multiple domains per an account and this is the business model I have chosen, to be able to use that business model I need to be able to offer "add-on" domains and cpanel is the only CP that does it this way, so cpanel was chosen as the CP.
    42go can do that as well, which is one of the reasons we use it
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

I wish I could see a demo of 42go without having to download and install it....

There's a demo on the developer's site
    Blacknight

Theres 2 different angles to the control panel.

1) Server admin/you - you want the most popular control panel because there are a lot more people that have it and would know how to fix problems that might occur. If theres a bug, the company (the CP provider) will also have a lot more people complaining about it (in turn, getting it fixed faster). The control panel provider will also have more funds available to them to get something added or fixed to their product. There are many other reasons but the above are the biggest ones (I think so anyway).

2) Customers - probably don't care. If it works and its easy, its all good. They don't need to worry about it working or not (thats your job) so if its there and does what they need, they should be fine with anything.

Hope that helps.
    "Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's proprietary technology simply by scribbling around the edges of the disc with a Magic Marker pen, thus enabling playback on any device." - news.com

2 very good points.

One thing that you should be aware of is security. If the CP is very tightly integrated with the server you won't be able to update and upgrade stuff until the developers release patches, as which stage it might be too late. Just bear that in mind.
    Blacknight

For many customers, your hosting business IS your control panel. If you don't have a good one, you suck, in the customer's eyes.

a good cp is mucho importante

Many of my customers dont even use our Cpanel and just go for the FTP. It really varies customer to customer. It is also to have many differenct servers running with different cpanels so that way your customers can pick and choose what they want.

Regards,
    landon[at]worldnethosters.com
    worldnethosters.com - "Your Gateway to the Net"