Thread: opinions please

opinions please

hello all,
    got a question for you all as to what your opinions on the actions of a company is, i will not state the company at this time.

i did recently get a dedicated server from a company (approx 2 weeks ago) and they have today terminated my server with NO warning or notice as apprenrtly it has caught hotmails spam traps multiple times. now i will admit i am aware this may of happened as i did mess up a cron job so it was sending error emails a lot so i understand totally that side of the arguement but what i am annoyed about is the fact that my server has been terminated without any form of notice from the company about the issue which if i had notice of i could of easily resolved but instead they just cancel the server. im just looking for peoples thoughts as to this as no company i have previously been with has done this without some form of warning

Quote Originally Posted by NWSTech View Post
    hello all,
    got a question for you all as to what your opinions on the actions of a company is, i will not state the company at this time.

i did recently get a dedicated server from a company (approx 2 weeks ago) and they have today terminated my server with NO warning or notice as apprenrtly it has caught hotmails spam traps multiple times. now i will admit i am aware this may of happened as i did mess up a cron job so it was sending error emails a lot so i understand totally that side of the arguement but what i am annoyed about is the fact that my server has been terminated without any form of notice from the company about the issue which if i had notice of i could of easily resolved but instead they just cancel the server. im just looking for peoples thoughts as to this as no company i have previously been with has done this without some form of warning
    I will assume that their terms of service prohibits the sending unsolicited commercial e-mails.

If your server was pumping out high volumes of spam very soon after your activation, then it's certainly within their right to disconnect your service.

For some hosts, it's not worth risking a 'second chance'. If you continue to spam and you manage to get all of your IPs severely blacklisted then your host will have to spend considerable time de-listing them. Cleaning up after spammers is *not* good for business.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

i understand that totally but my point is i would of happily looked into the problem if i was told about it, but all i get is terminated service which im not particually happy about, i would understand server being disconnected etc while host waits of a reply from me, but not terminated

There is a big difference between SPAM/mass-mailing and admin error. Usually you can distinguish in a second whether a message is a spam or not. If you was just sending "error e-mails" just call them and explain in details with a sample of the mail.

Main difference between spammer and normal client that spammers usually do not complain a lot when you shut them down.
    Alnitech.com - dedicated servers for your business
    Dedicated Servers, Disaster Recovery, IaaS & More.
    ✓ 24x7 h/w Support & Server Monitoring
    ✓ 21-day Money-back Guarantee

Maybe you have an abuse issue before and you didn't reply that is why they terminated your server?
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by NWSTech View Post
    as apprenrtly it has caught hotmails spam traps multiple times. now i will admit i am aware this may of happened as i did mess up a cron job so it was sending error emails a lot so i understand totally that side of the arguement
    Spamtraps/honeypots are usually known emails setup by the ISPs or email service providers and posted on the web, once spammers crawl the web and then send email these addresses the ISP now knows that the sending IP is a spammer. Its near impossible for your "cron jobs" to send an email to one of these honeypots.

So did you send email to one of these honeypots, or did you just send mass email to a hotmail address which triggered something?

Most providers would typically alert you to the problem, block email on your ports, and ask you to clean up the mess and prevent it from happening again.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber