Xeon e3-1270 vs Dual xeon e5620?

Im looking to upgrade my dedicated server, this is what I currently have:
    Bandwidth: 5 TB Outbound Bandwidth
    Port Speed: 100M Uplink Port
    x6Special: Webmaster Plan 2 special
    Primary hard drive: SAS Drive (15,000 rpm)
    Hard Disk Size: 147 GB 15,000 RPM
    Backup Hard Drive: SATA Backup Drive
    Backup Disk Options: 250 GB SATA (7,200 rpm)
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X6-1055T HEXA Core
    Operating System: Linux OS
    Linux OS: CentOs 5 - 64Bit
    PCI Compliance Certification: No PCI Compliance Certification
    Memory: 8GB DDR2 SDRAM

And it's mainly for Wordpress sites and a forum. I'm thinking of upgrading to one of these two setups, the main thing I'm unsure of for my uses, is if I'll notice performance difference between the E3 and the Dual xeon e5620 for my usage? Also not sure of which litespeed license Im going to go with either, but thats not as big of a deal. Figured I would go with the fusion io SSD instead of a kingston hyper x for cheaper or intel s3700 for a little more.
    Thanks for your help

Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1270 V2 3.5GHZ, Quad Core
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
    HD1: 2 x SATA Software RAID 1 (7,200 rpm) (+1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive)
    SSD: Single SSD Drive (+Fusion IO Drive - 80GB Capacity) (+MySQL Drive (Linux Only))
    HD2: SATA Backup Drive (+1 TB SATA (7,200 rpm))
    HD3: No Additional Storage Array
    GUARD: No Remote Backup Needed
    SERVERCHASSIS: Standard - Single PSU - No Hot Swap Bays
    OS: Linux OS (+CentOs 6 - 64Bit) (+LiteSpeed 2 CPU CORE License)
    Bandwidth: 5 TB Outbound Bandwidth (+100M Uplink Port)
    ControlPanel: cPanel/ Web Host Manager - Fully Managed (+Softaculous) (+Server Secure)
    ExtraIp: Public IP Addresses (+1 Public IP Address)
    SetupFee: $350 setup fee
    Monthly Fee: $274.00 /mon
    Or
    Processor: Intel Dual Xeon E5620 Quad Core (Westmere)
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
    HD1: 2 x SATA Software RAID 1 (7,200 rpm) (+1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive)
    SSD: Single SSD Drive (+Fusion IO Drive - 80GB Capacity) (+MySQL Drive (Linux Only))
    HD2: SATA Backup Drive (+1 TB SATA (7,200 rpm))
    OS: Linux OS (+CentOs 6 - 64Bit) (+LiteSpeed 2 CPU CORE License)
    GUARD: No Remote Backup Needed
    ControlPanel: cPanel/ Web Host Manager - Fully Managed (+Softaculous) (+Server Secure)
    ExtraIp: Public IP Addresses (+1 Public IP Address)
    Bandwidth: 5 TB Outbound Bandwidth (+100M Uplink Port)
    SetupFee: $350 setup fee
    Monthly Fee: $384.00 /mon

for me both upgrades looks good. ssd drive for databases.

If you need more than 32 GB RAM, the logical choice would be to go for the E5620.
    Otherwise the E3 would be good enough, depending on what you need to do with the server.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

While both setups are alright, if you need a lot of ram but want a modern CPU you may want to look at the INTEL Xeon E5-16xxv2 and INTEL Xeon E5-26xxv2 series as well.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

I'd go with the E3-1270v2. E3v2 CPU's are newer and probably better if you don't need more than 32GB ram.

if you don't mind can you tell what provider are you going with? the prices are quite high.

As others mentioned, if you are going to need more than 32GB of RAM go with the 5620.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by reldegart View Post
    I'd go with the E3-1270v2. E3v2 CPU's are newer and probably better if you don't need more than 32GB ram.

if you don't mind can you tell what provider are you going with? the prices are quite high.
    liquidweb, I kind of want to stay with them because I'm fairly clueless when it comes to managing this server and theyve generally been pretty solid with helping me.
    Those are the 2 deals they have posted on here, and they're actually cheaper than the current server I have, especially when you factor in the cost of litespeeed.

I cant tell if the ram limitations would matter, I honestly dont know how much ram I really need. I have 8 right now. like I said, the server is mainly for a small group of wordpress sites and a forum(which isnt super active)

I've also upgraded with liquidweb before and its quite painless. Switching companies probably isnt a huge deal, but the less headaches the better

Personally I would definitely go with the E3-1270 v2, its a very powerful processor and you will benefit more from faster cores, not more cores. I would scrap the SATA's though and go with SSD drives instead. Your provider should be able to substitute at no charge depending on the size of the SSD.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
    Personally I would definitely go with the E3-1270 v2, its a very powerful processor and you will benefit more from faster cores, not more cores. I would scrap the SATA's though and go with SSD drives instead. Your provider should be able to substitute at no charge depending on the size of the SSD.
    Yeah I definitely wish I could run all SSD drives, I'm kind of bumping up on capacity with my 147gb SAS drive though, but I guess moving my mysql to the 80gb SSD drive will relieve that a bit.

I would at least get a 128gb SSD the 80's most times are twice as slow.
    ⚡️ PUREVOLTAGE.COM ⚡️Custom Dedicated Servers, Colocation, VPS Contact us: sales@purevoltage.com Skype: Mobile.Jake
    AMD EPYC 7443P RYZEN 7950X3D ⚡️ NVME 10G - 100Gbps We do it all!

New York City ★ Seattle ★ Los Angeles ★ Chicago ★ Dallas

I thought the fusion IO drives are quite a bit faster in general? My options are kind of limited if I stick with liquid web

If you need more RAM in the future than the e5620 would be the better option.

I would personally go with any as they are both similar in specs.
    More than decade with webhosting!

Will I notice any difference between 100m uplink and gigabit?

Quote Originally Posted by igneousc View Post
    Will I notice any difference between 100m uplink and gigabit?
    Only if you actually push beyond 100mbps. How does your bandwidth graph look like?

Oh and like other said, the e3-1270v2 should be better performance and price. Unless you need 32g+ of ram. E3v2 is also 2 years newer than e5620.
    I have no sig to spam.

Quote Originally Posted by igneousc View Post
    I thought the fusion IO drives are quite a bit faster in general? My options are kind of limited if I stick with liquid web
    Yes, Fusion IO are usually incredibly fast, even the older ones should be faster than a SATA SSD today. I'm surprised they offer a Fusion IO cheaper than the Intel S3700 but I would assume their 80GB drives already have a lot of miles on them since that is an older model.

I agree that those prices seem a bit high, especially considering the setup fee, but if you're satisfied with their service then stick with them, it looks like the E3-1270 would be your best option in my opinion. It doesn't look like you're going to need more than 32GB of RAM.

Lastly, with only 5TB outbound, you probably won't ever need to hit over 100M, so the only thing gigabit speeds would help with is those short bursts, downloading files here and there.