Question A Few Questions From a New Kid on the Block...

Hello. I'm new to the domain industry, and have a few questions for the more experienced, knowledgeable domaineers.

1. Is there worthwhile value in the .net/.org versions of high-priced .com domains? For example, say Website.com sold for $10,000. Does that logically entail that Website.net is a worthwhile purchase? If it varies case-by-case, as I suspect it does, then how do we determine when it's worthwhile and when it's not?

2. What's the typical going rate for .net/.org relative to .com? Is one (.net or .org) more valued than the other?

3. Is there money to be made in registering hand-registering new domains? Basically, I don't have a lot of cash, so my current method is to search for potentially valuable domains which have somehow slipped through the cracks, and then resell them for profit. The good news is, using GoDaddy codes, this is very cost-effective way of building a portfolio of domains. The bad news is, I'm still unsure if it's even worth it. So... is it?

4. This is more of a personal question: How many domains do you have for sale, and how often do you sell one?

5. Will adding a site to a domain, even if that site is traffic-less, typically increase a domain's value?

6. If you were to give a beginner one piece of advice to help him succeed, what would it be?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any of these questions. It's very much appreciated.

6. If you were to give a beginner one piece of advice to help him succeed, what would it be?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting

Don't do it. Don't buy a domain name speculating that you can sell it for more. The odds are against you. You are better off developing a revenue generating website (unique content with ads or affiliate links) and then keeping it or selling it.

To give you an idea of the relative value of a net or org compared to a dot com:
    http://www.3character.com/priceguide.html
    Current Observed Minimum Wholesale Price (regardless of letter combo) as of November 1, 2013:
    3-Letter .com - $5,250 (+ $350 since Last Report)
    3-Letter .net - $500 (Unchanged)
    3-Letter .org - $265 (+$25 since Last Report)

Don't try to make money in your pocket by buying and flipping domains it ain't all that good at all. It can be very frustrating and hard at times. You will be much better off building a site for each domain then sell then piece by piece for a pretty decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedJ View Post
    Hello. I'm new to the domain industry, and have a few questions for the more experienced, knowledgeable domaineers.

1. Is there worthwhile value in the .net/.org versions of high-priced .com domains? For example, say Website.com sold for $10,000. Does that logically entail that Website.net is a worthwhile purchase? If it varies case-by-case, as I suspect it does, then how do we determine when it's worthwhile and when it's not?

2. What's the typical going rate for .net/.org relative to .com? Is one (.net or .org) more valued than the other?

3. Is there money to be made in registering hand-registering new domains? Basically, I don't have a lot of cash, so my current method is to search for potentially valuable domains which have somehow slipped through the cracks, and then resell them for profit. The good news is, using GoDaddy codes, this is very cost-effective way of building a portfolio of domains. The bad news is, I'm still unsure if it's even worth it. So... is it?

4. This is more of a personal question: How many domains do you have for sale, and how often do you sell one?

5. Will adding a site to a domain, even if that site is traffic-less, typically increase a domain's value?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any of these questions. It's very much appreciated.
    1. I like having the .com, .net. and .org of my MAIN business domains or potential business domains. I'm not sure how much it is really needed if trying to sell. Unless you have the .com and someone has already built a business on the .net... that might be an issue.

2. Easy to look but the price goes .com $$$, .net $$, and .org $... in most cases. Sometimes the .net or .org can be more, if the site is built out and/or has traffic.

3. For me it was not... it takes a lot of hard work to be a domainer... I did it for a while and bailed. Well to do it right. There is tons of research and getting to know people, sites, staying fresh on laws now, etc, etc. It is not easy. But if you enjoy it and want to do it, go for it. I don't think it is worth it, but you might make a billion dollars. Unlikely, but you might. You might see something different, meet people I have not and then make it big.

4. A couple technically for sale... but not really. If someone ask about them, I normally ask for some crazy price (75k to 200K) simply because I want to eventually build them out.

5. Could, if you get a sucker.

6. Go with your gut.

7. Here are some sites to help if you end up building domains out:

Look at the old Podcast (they basically explain how to start and run an online business... take a while to go through): http://www.therisetothetop.com/

Website that shows the how to make money online and in other ventures (this guy even puts up his monthly income each month): http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Very helpful advice, hekwu. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedJ View Post
    .com domains are of $12.99
    .net domains costs $9.99
    .org $8.99
    means .com domains are costly as compared to .net or .org domains