* Looking for dreamhost alternative

Been with Dreamhost almost 7 years now - been very happy with them but during the past year I've been experiencing extremely slowwwwww loading times and they keep resetting whatever it is on apache that is making it "stuck". This works for a few days then it gets stuck again.

I am going to launch a new blog soon and I don't want to deal with these problems anymore so I am looking at alternatives. It will be run on wordpress. Right now, I can't even USE wordpress to work on it because the site will not load (takes minutes and then times out, or loads extremely slowly).

Right now I am paying 10.95 a month at dreamhost. So I don't want to pay more than that, and hopefully less than that for a small plan somewhere. I'm only using 3-5 GB of disk space, and an average of 1 gb of bandwidth per month. So very small personal sites.

I am looking for some suggestions on hosts that have good customer service, good hosting, of course good uptime/loading time and price less than 10 dollars a month.

Since I haven't searched for hosting in a LONG time, I need help because there are so many hosting companies now I don't even know where to begin and I don't want to choose a bad company by randomly searching through google. Please help!

The good news is that you can get on a shared SSD for that budget. I would make sure to add that to your criteria when you select your host, especially since speed is a concern of yours. I know that's not a specific host, but should certainly help you narrow things down quite a bit.

If you want performance and total control of your Wordpress environment, you should consider an SSD VPS. This will help you substantial speed up your I/O operations mainly with the databases. You can find a several providers from the offers section.

Quote Originally Posted by rogriverac View Post
    If you want performance and total control of your Wordpress environment, you should consider an SSD VPS. This will help you substantial speed up your I/O operations mainly with the databases. You can find a several providers from the offers section.
    Given they want under $10 a month, and they've not indicated that they have any experience of managing their own server, that's not good advice.

Any solid shared hosting provider, that doesn't promise oodles of space for less than a cup of coffee, is probably fine. Shortlist a few, and search on here for genuine customer reviews. That will weed out the bad ones.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Thanks for the responses so far.

I don't have the knowledge or experience to manage the server on my own nor can I afford to . I don't know much about that stuff, just know how to use cpanel or ftp and upload my code.

I looked at some of the offers in the hosting offers forum but have some questions. What's the difference between ones that say they have SSD or SAS?

I am looking at GeekStorange.com and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by greentrees View Post
    Been with Dreamhost almost 7 years now - been very happy with them but during the past year I've been experiencing extremely slowwwwww loading times and they keep resetting whatever it is on apache that is making it "stuck". This works for a few days then it gets stuck again.

I am going to launch a new blog soon and I don't want to deal with these problems anymore so I am looking at alternatives. It will be run on wordpress. Right now, I can't even USE wordpress to work on it because the site will not load (takes minutes and then times out, or loads extremely slowly).

Right now I am paying 10.95 a month at dreamhost. So I don't want to pay more than that, and hopefully less than that for a small plan somewhere. I'm only using 3-5 GB of disk space, and an average of 1 gb of bandwidth per month. So very small personal sites.

I am looking for some suggestions on hosts that have good customer service, good hosting, of course good uptime/loading time and price less than 10 dollars a month.

Since I haven't searched for hosting in a LONG time, I need help because there are so many hosting companies now I don't even know where to begin and I don't want to choose a bad company by randomly searching through google. Please help!
    Did they explain specifically what is getting "stuck"?

It's possible you just have a script/app that is hanging that needs to be addressed, because it's very possible you may move this to another provider and see the exact same issue.
    SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup

Thanks for your advice. Here is my message from them, a short snippet of it anyway:

I 'd be glad to assist you with this issue. It seems the main cause was
    that there were some issues with the apache service that your site was on
    (usually a heavy user or a group of processes that've gotten stuck), We
    just needed to clear them out and restart the service, which we did.

This has happened 4 times now, each time they "reset" it. The last time they said they will offer to move me to a new machine - however this solution is mentioned in their forums and it did not solve the problem for others. You're probably not that interested but there's also lots of complaints on their service forum , one of the longer threads here https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-136673.html

They did advise me about plugins and scripts on wordpress that might be the problem. But I followed all their suggested tweaks for wordpress and it still happened. I went back to the basic default wordpress theme, no plugins or widgets or anything - still happening. Can't even work on the wordpress anymore because the site does not load so I can't get on to log into the wordpress cms.

I've been with them for a long time and have never had this issue before whether with php sites, wordpress blog sites, or html until a little over a year ago.

Thanks for your advice. Here is my message from them, a short snippet of it anyway:

This has happened 4 times now, each time they "reset" it. The last time they said they will offer to move me to a new machine - however this solution is mentioned in their forums and it did not solve the problem for others. You're probably not that interested but there's also lots of complaints on their service forum , one of the longer threads here https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-136673.html

They did advise me about plugins and scripts on wordpress that might be the problem. But I followed all their suggested tweaks for wordpress and it still happened. I went back to the basic default wordpress theme, no plugins or widgets or anything - still happening. Can't even work on the wordpress anymore because the site does not load so I can't get on to log into the wordpress cms.

I've been with them for a long time and have never had this issue before whether with php sites, wordpress blog sites, or html until a little over a year ago.
    How many daily visitors is your site receiving?

It's possible your site is just too much for a shared hosting environment in general.
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup

Quote Originally Posted by HostMantis View Post
    How many daily visitors is your site receiving?

It's possible your site is just too much for a shared hosting environment in general.
    i wish that was my problem. My blog is a personal blog, gets about 5-10 visits a day, max. normally 1-2 of those visits is myself.

i wish that was my problem. My blog is a personal blog, gets about 5-10 visits a day, max. normally 1-2 of those visits is myself.
    Ok, definitely not traffic related then!