Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Site5 - 24 hours downtime in my first 2 weeks. Why?

Hi Everyone,

I signed up for a Site5 reseller account 2 weeks ago as my Hostgator service completely failed since being acquired by EIG.

So, I signed up with a Site5 reseller package with a 30-day trial. I am only 2 weeks into this free trial.

I have 30 websites at Site5 now (migrated from HG).

Anyway, last week all my websites went down and when I checked my Site5 dashboard I noticed that my server (R9-dallas) was undergoing maintenance. I understand that this is often required but was a little concerned when they were down for quite a few hours.

This morning I woke up to find that my 30 websites is all down completely. Again due to maintenance. Maintenance that so far has been ongoing for the entire day and is still not finished.

My question is why would this server require 12-14 hours downtime and why can Site5 not provide some sort of solution to their clients on this server. I have never had such a lengthy downtime in 12 years of hosting with various companies?

Also, why would they put trial users on their worst server instead of their best. Not the best strategy for retaining new clients beyond their 30 day trial.

So in the 2 weeks I've been trying Site5 I have had about 24 hours of downtime (combined). So based on these numbers I am looking at 2 days downtime per month for all 30 of the sites I currently have with them.

I tried to get real answers from their support but I keep getting one-liner responses and never actually get my actual questions answered. This type of support might as well be non-existent. It seems they simply copy & paste their responses instead of actually reading my ticket and responding to the actual question/s.

Now I am again on the hunt for the next reliable hosting company but it seems more and more to be a thing of the past. If I can find a company that offers real 99.9% uptime and decent support responses I'll be a very happy camper indeed. Any recommendations?

Looks like a bad patch you had. Were you trying to escalate your ticket(s) for a more detailed response?

Unless someone here has inside knowledge, then i guess no one could realy answer, ive had it before where i have had a days downtime with maintenance, somethings go wrong and there's not much we can do at the end of the line.

Its a free trial, the old cliche, you dont get anything for free springs to mind! Theres tons in the reseller offers here, have a look around!

All I can say is if you want to be treated as a valuable customer you have to be a valuable customer. Don't go for the company where you are a drop in the sea. Typically big companies dont personalize their support as all that matters is their bottom line..
    Winged Hosting LLC | Reliable Web Hosting! | Personal Support!| Inexpensive quality alternatives
    █Personalized 24/7 Support! | Up to 30 Day Money Back
    █Learn More About Us!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience but I'm sure @bwb will be here shortly to shed some more light.

There could be a couple reasons for such long downtime, from datacenter issues that they might not have control over, to hardware issues that could range from driver degradation/failure to a RAID rebuild. Without knowing hardware/network/backup policies it is hard for a 3rd party to accurately comment on what could be the problem. I would recommend contacting them, I see they have a phone number and LiveChat, they might be able to assist you more as I am sure if a whole server is down their support staff has been handling issues with other clients on the server and should know what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedHosting View Post
    All I can say is if you want to be treated as a valuable customer you have to be a valuable customer. Don't go for the company where you are a drop in the sea. Typically big companies dont personalize their support as all that matters is their bottom line..
    This ^ well put!

You'll never really be valued at those larger companies, because in most cases the payments are <$2 and it will not even slightly affect their business, where-as a smaller company will generally strive to keep you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrjnr View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I signed up for a Site5 reseller account 2 weeks ago as my Hostgator service completely failed since being acquired by EIG.

So, I signed up with a Site5 reseller package with a 30-day trial. I am only 2 weeks into this free trial.

Anyway, last week all my websites went down and when I checked my Site5 dashboard I noticed that my server (R9-dallas) was undergoing maintenance. I understand that this is often required but was a little concerned when they were down for quite a few hours.

This morning I woke up to find that my 30 websites is all down completely. Again due to maintenance. Maintenance that so far has been ongoing for the entire day and is still not finished.

My question is why would this server require 12-14 hours downtime and why can Site5 not provide some sort of solution to their clients on this server. I have never had such a lengthy downtime in 12 years of hosting with various companies?

Also, why would they put trial users on their worst server instead of their best. Not the best strategy for retaining new clients beyond their 30 day trial.

So in the 2 weeks I've been trying Site5 I have had about 24 hours of downtime (combined). So based on these numbers I am looking at 2 days downtime per month for all 30 of the sites I currently have with them.

I tried to get real answers from their support but I keep getting one-liner responses and never actually get my actual questions answered. This type of support might as well be non-existent. It seems they simply copy & paste their responses instead of actually reading my ticket and responding to the actual question/s.

Now I am again on the hunt for the next reliable hosting company but it seems more and more to be a thing of the past. If I can find a company that offers real 99.9% uptime and decent support responses I'll be a very happy camper indeed. Any recommendations?
    Hi John,

I'm very sorry to hear that, I'm not aware of any problems like that and I'd be happy to check.

Can you tell me your domain so I can look up your server?

We post all emergencies in this forum area:
    http://forums.site5.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    *Along with updates every 10 to 20 minutes as we work on an issue.

Plus we send out a big email the day after any emergency if downtime lasted more than an hour that has the full breakdown of what happened.

And of course advance warning if it is actual scheduled maintenance.

Thanks, Ben
    Last edited by bwb; 01-27-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Quote Originally Posted by httpEasy View Post
    Looks like a bad patch you had. Were you trying to escalate your ticket(s) for a more detailed response?
    We send out a huge detailed post summary of any downtime lasting more than an hour too.

Plus if it is planned maintenance warning in advance too.

Thanks, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by DTN_VPS View Post
    Unless someone here has inside knowledge, then i guess no one could realy answer, ive had it before where i have had a days downtime with maintenance, somethings go wrong and there's not much we can do at the end of the line.

Its a free trial, the old cliche, you dont get anything for free springs to mind! Theres tons in the reseller offers here, have a look around!
    We work very hard to be a transparent company, and you can see any downtime as well as causes as we investigate in our emergency area:
    http://forums.site5.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

The great thing is you don't need "inside knowledge" with us

Thanks, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by WingedHosting View Post
    I guess it is a good thing Site5 isn't a huge company and we value all our customers then isn't it ?

Thanks, Ben

* Cancel your free trial now..!

Hi Everyone,

I also signed up with them in october, after one week I decided to cancel my free trial, they asked me to enter security pass phrases to delete my account, but as I never entered any pass phrases after registration so I opened a ticket saying I no longer remember my pass phrases so please delete my account, they didn't and asked me to enter security pass phrases to delete my account.

I left the account as it was, and after a month they send an email asking me to pay the dues or my account will be terminated, I never replied to it. Last month I got a mail from them stating that I have an over due amount of 86 or something dollars, I should pay it or my account will be terminated. Now that's scary I am no longer using their services and they are still charging me every month.

Any how I have changed my personal details on their site i-e email address, phone number and my residential address but one thing I can't change is my name Thank God I never gave them my credit card info

Quote Originally Posted by Wali Dahot View Post
    I also signed up with them in october, after one week I decided to cancel my free trial, they asked me to enter security pass phrases to delete my account, but as I never entered any pass phrases after registration so I opened a ticket saying I no longer remember my pass phrases so please delete my account, they didn't and asked me to enter security pass phrases to delete my account.

I left the account as it was, and after a month they send an email asking me to pay the dues or my account will be terminated, I never replied to it. Last month I got a mail from them stating that I have an over due amount of 86 or something dollars, I should pay it or my account will be terminated. Now that's scary I am no longer using their services and they are still charging me every month.

Any how I have changed my personal details on their site i-e email address, phone number and my residential address but one thing I can't change is my name Thank God I never gave them my credit card info
    Tad confused here, why would we cancel an account if you didn't follow the security guidelines to ensure it wasn't someone who broke into your account ? We don't hold our customer's hostage , but we do ensure their hosting accounts are kept secure and safe. Do you want us just cancelling accounts without any type of verification?

Our support team is available via email 24/7, via live chat 24/7, and via phone during business hours (and soon 24/7). Really easy to ask them for some help

Thanks, Ben

Also I checked your account and you did enter pass phrases after registrations

Thanks, Ben

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bwb View Post
    Our support team is available via email 24/7, via live chat 24/7, and via phone during business hours (and soon 24/7). Really easy to ask them for some help

Thanks, Ben
    Yes support was great on your side, good timely responses but I think I had forgotten those pass phrases. I have a short memory problem

Tad confused here, why would we cancel an account if you didn't follow the security guidelines to ensure it wasn't someone who broke into your account ? We don't hold our customer's hostage , but we do ensure their hosting accounts are kept secure and safe. Do you want us just cancelling accounts without any type of verification?
    what if some one forgets his pass phrases? I always give two same answers to security questions on every site, but those two were not working on your site

Yes support was great on your side, good timely responses but I think I had forgotten those pass phrases. I have a short memory problem

what if some one forgets his pass phrases? I always give two same answers to security questions on every site, but those two were not working on your site
    Great question

Just let our team know and they can help with alternative methods of verification, super easy, just email [email protected], or jump on live chat and they can make you a ticket .

Thanks, Ben

Question

That's what I told them in my tickets but they were saying that I should enter those pass phrases and I already told them that I have forgotten those. they never told me an alternative and with $$ charging on my account every month I just changed my details, username and password. So the bottom line is that I don't have access to that account any more

That's what I told them in my tickets but they were saying that I should enter those pass phrases and I already told them that I have forgotten those. they never told me an alternative and with $$ charging on my account every month I just changed my details, username and password. So the bottom line is that I don't have access to that account any more
    I'd be happy to check into that, what is the ticket ID? That would be the letter/number combo in the subject.

I looked under your account but didn't see any tickets.

We don't charge anyone who wants to cancel, ever! That would be a huge huge breach of trust, you definitely just need to tell our team that.

Yep but you can use email, [email protected] if you still want to cancel it. Otherwise it just goes through the normal lack of payment cancellation with lots of warnings to let the customer know it is being cancelled and we wait a while obviously,
    Thanks, Ben

I'd be happy to check into that, what is the ticket ID? That would be the letter/number combo in the subject.

I looked under your account but didn't see any tickets.
    I deleted those, only thing I remember is I gave the support person five stars for his or may be her quick reply's.

We don't charge anyone who wants to cancel, ever! That would be a huge huge breach of trust, you definitely just need to tell our team that.
    Yep but you can use email, [email protected] if you still want to cancel it. Otherwise it just goes through the normal lack of payment cancellation with lots of warnings to let the customer know it is being cancelled and we wait a while obviously,
    Thanks, Ben
    As I said I don't have access to that account, I changed my email to a newly made gmail ID and then I deactivated that gmail ID. What will happen if I never cancel my account as I will be unable to do so

I deleted those, only thing I remember is I gave the support person five stars for his or may be her quick reply's.
    Gotcha, can you tell me your email you used at the time? I'd be happy to look it up that way for you.

As I said I don't have access to that account, I changed my email to a newly made gmail ID and then I deactivated that gmail ID. What will happen if I never cancel my account as I will be unable to do so
    It eventually cancels, just like the emails have said that we send you warning it will be cancelled soon for lack of payment .

This isn't rocket science , all it takes is hitting the cancellation button to cancel. If you forgot your very important security questions you just have to email us for help. We try to make this as simple as possible.
    Thanks, Ben

I always give two same answers to security questions on every site, but those two were not working on your site
    You should be extremely cautious with this approach. If any of the sites you use that has security questions gets hacked whoever hacks them will have the 'keys to your kingdom' since you use the same security questions/answers everywhere. It's also likely that you use the same email address/password [maybe not, but many do] which makes things even worse from a security perspective.

Personally I make up the answers and save them in my password manager. This way - even if somebody knows me extremely well - they won't be able to guess my security answers.

A quality password manager like 1Password is not expensive especially for the piece of mind it provides.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    You should be extremely cautious with this approach. If any of the sites you use that has security questions gets hacked whoever hacks them will have the 'keys to your kingdom' since you use the same security questions/answers everywhere. It's also likely that you use the same email address/password [maybe not, but many do] which makes things even worse from a security perspective.

Personally I make up the answers and save them in my password manager. This way - even if somebody knows me extremely well - they won't be able to guess my security answers.

A quality password manager like 1Password is not expensive especially for the piece of mind it provides.
    Never thought about that. I did that due to my short memory problem, any way I will definitely work on it. Thanks For your advice.

Never thought about that. I did that due to my short memory problem, any way I will definitely work on it. Thanks For your advice.
    My memory is terrible as well - hence using a password manager .
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

It eventually cancels, just like the emails have said that we send you warning it will be cancelled soon for lack of payment .

This isn't rocket science , all it takes is hitting the cancellation button to cancel. If you forgot your very important security questions you just have to email us for help. We try to make this as simple as possible.
    Thanks, Ben
    That's a bit relieving. As I was new to this kind of things, I thought I might face some legal problems, that's why I changed my details.

Hi John,

I'm very sorry to hear that, I'm not aware of any problems like that and I'd be happy to check.

Can you tell me your domain so I can look up your server?
    Hi Ben,

Firstly, thanks for the response. I don't think my domain is required in this case. I would simply like to know why R9-dallas has been down for so long today. It is still down according to this link - site5 . com / support / current-status / r9-dallas / (sorry, can't post links yet).

Secondly, I would like to know if this lengthy downtime is likely to occur again soon for R9-dallas? If it is, would you suggest I make use of your Location Migration option to move to a more reliable server?

I did ask all these questions to support already but did not receive any kind of response I was able to consider an answer.

Regards,

John

Hi Ben,

Firstly, thanks for the response. I don't think my domain is required in this case. I would simply like to know why R9-dallas has been down for so long today. It is still down according to this link - site5 . com / support / current-status / r9-dallas / (sorry, can't post links yet).

Secondly, I would like to know if this lengthy downtime is likely to occur again soon for R9-dallas? If it is, would you suggest I make use of your Location Migration option to move to a more reliable server?

I did ask all these questions to support already but did not receive any kind of response I was able to consider an answer.

Regards,

John
    No problem John!

Sure all the details for today here:
    http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=40050

This is scheduled maintenance too so we sent out a big warning and email letting all the customers know as well.

Did you receive that email as it had a full report on the problem with disk space which is why this was required?

We don't anticipate any further downtime being needed to reorganize the file system. There isn't anything wrong with the server though. If you want to migrate you just need to use the migration form in Backstage of course though.

Can you tell me your ticket ID with support as they should have said the same thing ?

You can also ask for a manager on any ticket of course,
    Thanks, Ben

Bwb seems very happy and positive, if this is the sort of responses you get in tickets ect I am very impressed!
    Unhappy with your current host? Take at look at The Pro Host
    Daily Backups|Guaranteed 99% uptime|Friendly support
    What else do you need?

Over 2 days of downtime to restore a backup? Uhhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by wswd View Post
    Details on forum, the rebuild of the file system failed and a 2TB restore is going to take 48 hours even over GB backend.

Thanks, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by wswd View Post
    Apparently you've never restored a huge partition in R1Soft before...

No problem John!

We don't anticipate any further downtime being needed to reorganize the file system. There isn't anything wrong with the server though.

Thanks, Ben
    Hi Ben,

Your r9-dallas server is still down after more than 24 hours?

Also, can you please let me know what someone in my position is supposed to tell my clients. So far 3 of my clients are leaving.

I cannot believe this is the situation I find myself in.

How many more hours will this take?

This is no longer a funny little incident. Migrating anywhere at this point will only cause further delays for my clients and for myself.

Again, how many more hours will this take?

http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=40050&page=2

Looks like 1 day, 14 hours to go. It's common for large server restores to take time. Thankfully it's not very common for entire raids to go corrupt.

Hi Ben,

Your r9-dallas server is still down after more than 24 hours?

Also, can you please let me know what someone in my position is supposed to tell my clients. So far 3 of my clients are leaving.

I cannot believe this is the situation I find myself in.

How many more hours will this take?

This is no longer a funny little incident. Migrating anywhere at this point will only cause further delays for my clients and for myself.

Hi John,

Full details in the forum post as we are always 100% transparent.

The rebuild failed and corrupted the partition, we are having to do a full restore of 2TB of data and this will likely take 48 hours from the start time posted as our CTO explained. This was the worst possibility and a very remote one, I'm very sorry as this is not want anyone wanted as you can imagine .

Thanks, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    Apparently you've never restored a huge partition in R1Soft before...
    Nope...don't use R1Soft for internal backups, and this is obviously yet another reason not to.

Just using the most basic math and dumbing things down, even at 50MB/sec. (which is very slow for a gbit connection), you're only talking 11 hours or so to transfer the 2TB. How does that ever become 2+ days? Realistically, you're at 6 or so hours for the transfer. So the remaining 42 hours is left to accomplish what exactly?

Is R1Soft seriously that slow?

If you want to migrate you just need to use the migration form in Backstage of course though.
    Is that still possible while you're restoring the filesystem? If so, how long would it take?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Is that still possible while you're restoring the file system? If so, how long would it take?
    100% of details on forum and updated as the restore progresses.

100% of details on forum and updated as the restore progresses.
    All I see there is a time estimate on the server restore (which looks to be extending, as these things often seem to do). My question related to your statement that the OP could migrate his account from within Backstage. Is that option currently available to him or not?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    All I see there is a time estimate on the server restore (which looks to be extending, as these things often seem to do). My question related to your statement that the OP could migrate his account from within Backstage. Is that option currently available to him or not?
    Gotcha, yep that wouldn't be possible given the data isn't restored to the server and is not accessible for a migration (And the R1 snapshot is not available as it is in use restoring).

thanks, Ben

And there is the problem with 2 TB drives, with TB drives in general...rebuild times on them are insanely high.

Gotcha, yep that wouldn't be possible given the data isn't restored to the server and is not accessible for a migration (And the R1 snapshot is not available as it is in use restoring).

thanks, Ben
    I have a question about this as I was planning to become a customer of Site5 but this topic freaked me out a bit. The reason I was planning to move to Site5 is because at the moment I'm with a small host and we had a lot of downtime and never get informed about this. Site5 shows to support transparency but in this case even transparency wouldn't cut it.

Let's detail my situation. I live in Europe and would have chosen to be located in Amsterdam. I have backups of all my sites. If this situation would ever happen in Amsterdam would I not be able to be migrated even if I can have my sites back online without needing your backup? And if it is possible how long would it take to be migrated?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast