Opteron 6212 beats E5-2609?

At least according to http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php, there's a significant difference between the two, with the Opteron coming out noticeably on top. I understand the Opteron has increased power draw / heat output, but we can live with that for now.

Opteron 6212 - 5776 Passmark, ranked #194
    Xeon E5-2609 - 4605 Passmark, ranked #278

At this point we'd like to step up rack density a bit, so these CPUs look like the best price-competitive alternative to our current use of 1230s (which have a 32 GB limitation). With a corresponding upgrade to the I/O, the 6212 or 2609 drive down the per-VPS cost a bit while doubling rack density. I realize neither CPU is cutting edge, but they both seem to offer excellent bang for the buck, especially in a VPS environment.

Any thoughts or experience?
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

I don't have any direct experience with this specific comparison, however I'd say take the Intel all the way. AMD Bulldozer cores are very weak in comparison to Intel, very few tasks will take full advantage of every core simultaneously (the only time that AMD chips can shine).

In the desktop space a modern Pentium processor can outperform an FX8350 in most situations (despite the huge margin of victory for the FX cpu on cpubenchmark), with the few exceptions being programs that are heavily multi-threaded.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

I have to admit, it won't take much to convince me to stick with Intel. My biggest concern is the ease (or lackthereof?) of migrating existing Xen VMs under SolusVM from our existing Intel platform to the AMD platform in the event of a node failure.
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."

I would also recommend considering the Xeon E5-2620 over the 2609, there's only about $100 price gap between the two but the performance gains would be substantial. The 2620 is a fairly even trade with the 1230s you're currently using, which will be very useful since you're looking to put more VMs on the box.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

Yes, the E5-260x series are the entry level low performance models on the Xeon side. (Also, the Opteron is 8 core while the Intel is 4 core) I would definitely go with at least the E5-2620v2 or better, depending on what I'm using the server for.
    This is an old article, but still somewhat relevant: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6508/t...finally-tested

Note that this is focusing on the 6300 series instead of the 6200 series, but the E5v2 series has been out for some time now as well, which improves on the original E5s. Intel is definitely the way to go.

As DWS2006 said spend the little extra and get at least a E5-2620!
    Being an old AMD fan for most of my life, I remember a few years back at an event for Windows/AMD the guys at AMD even stated that their server line at the time forget the exact one was a huge failure. Thankfully I knew that before sinking a bunch of money into more equipment.
    Sales/Support - sales @ purevoltage.com / 1-855-787-8658
    PureVoltage.com Premium Colocation, Dedicated & VPS Hosting, along with Remote Hands NY
    Enterprise Hardware with 6 Global Locations - Seattle | Dallas | Chicago | Los Angeles | New York | Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    I would also recommend considering the Xeon E5-2620 over the 2609
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghan_04 View Post
    I would definitely go with at least the E5-2620v2 or better
    Quote Originally Posted by Purevoltage View Post
    As DWS2006 said spend the little extra and get at least a E5-2620!
    The 2620 slipped off my radar for some reason. I see it gives a substantial boost over both the 2609 and the 6212. You're right - for about a $100 difference, it looks like a major improvement over both.

<nostalgia>
    I remember 15 years ago when the Athlon XP was mopping up the floor while Intel repeatedly embarrassed itself with the relatively abysmal performance of the NetBurst P4 series. Now it seems like except for the occasional fluke like I mentioned in the OP, AMD isn't even a strong competitor on price.
    </nostalgia>

For what it's worth, you can find other Xeons with similar benchmark results that use almost have the amount of power (L5520, L542).
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

This all started when we looked at the new Atom server-grade CPUs and saw how affordable they were -- at the cost of a bit of performance. Then we started thinking about how if those Atoms are acceptable, why not an Opteron? Surely an Opteron would beat the Atom (if not AMD is in MAJOR trouble), and it looks like it would only be slightly more.

Now we're at the point where after stepping back and looking at the whole picture, the price differences are so low that it just makes the most sense to stick with the performance option and choose the hex core Xeon.