Westcoast-based Shared Hosting Solution?

Hi Everyone!

I'm currently hosting my site on Hawkhost, using their CA-based datacenter. The location is something to think about since my market (and my clients') are mostly based in SEA (the Philippines and Singapore).

However, my plan is up for renewal, and I'm always open to exploring other options... especially since I've been getting some FTP connectivity issues lately (but I'm 60% sure that's not the host's fault, might be my internet connection)—but it has got me started thinking.

So can anyone give me their good, honest opinions on the following (or suggest some more?)
    • Hawkhost
    • InMotion
    • Siteground
    • Arvixe
    • Site5

I'm looking at the middle-tier SHARED hosting plan on all of them, and the price differences aren't really that big. I might one day opt to get a VPS or Dedicated for one of my projects, and of course I'd go with my own host if the opportunity arises.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Katylar; 01-26-2014 at 11:12 PM.

What types of sites do you require hosting for, and how is the resource usage like?

You can request HawkHost to move your account to Seattle server.
    I think they have Seattle location.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

For now, mostly simple corporate websites or SME brochure sites. Moderate traffic. I use both a custom Laraval-based engine or Wordpress.

Whenever I think that I need more power in terms processing or bandwidth, I'll use a VPS or dedicated.

YagHost-Ravi, may I ask why you're suggesting that I move to a Seattle server? I apologize, SEA means South East Asia.

If it's not broken don't fix it.

I've never used any of the 5 hosts on your shortlist, but your best bet on this forum is not to ask for users to share their experience but to use Advanced Search to search the main forum section by the name of the host. It's rare that real users spot a request like yours and come forwards. There are lots of reviews of all 5.

I say "if it's not broken". This is not scientific, but my impression is that, of your 5, Hawkhost has the most consistently positive reviews on here. That's not to say the others are bad. But if you've basically had a good experience with them, apart from FTP issues that are probably not their fault, then why move? You risk taking the FTP issues with you, and changing to another host who may be just as good - even a little better - but equally may not be as good.

Unless you're having real problems, stay with what's working.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Katylar View Post
    YagHost-Ravi, may I ask why you're suggesting that I move to a Seattle server? I apologize, SEA means South East Asia.
    Seattle is located in US, West Cost.
    Your title says "Westcoast-based Shared Hosting Solution?"
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

So's San Jose, where they are at the moment.

Is it your experience that Seattle has better transit to SE Asia than California? I'd guess that's very dependent on the exact peering arrangements at the two data centres in question - and there's probably not much in it.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

While the west coast may be a good idea, have you considered looking into Singapore hosting?
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Why don't you ask Hawkhost to move your account to Singapore server?
    << Please review the Forum Guidelines regarding signatures >>