Small design business in need of scalable Wordpress hosting

Hello! We are a small design business who develops, designs, maintains, and hosts a number of sites most of which are Wordpress based. We have some very simple sites but also completely customized sites with many plugins running. We are looking for a reliable hosting solution that can grow as we continue to add sites. I will explain are past experiences for a better understanding.

When I came to the company they were using IX Web Hostings Shared offering we soon overran its capabilities and ran into throttles and complete halts to our service when sites put an extra load on system resources. IX convinced us to move to a cloud server which i believe was 2 cores, 2gb, and maybe 50gb HDD @ $150. This was indeed a great step up in performance but we still had a site bring it to a halt fairly easily (site since fixed!) but we did not like having to manage the server as far as updates, security, DNS configurations via WHM, etc.

THEN we moved to Rackspace cloud sites after a suggestion from a close partner. We really like cloud sites as far as easy to manage and deploy new sites, its ridiculously easy and reliable. Problem is its just not powerful enough and time to first bit leaves A LOT to be desired. But we have roughly 25 sites and the price is always $150 unless you exceed bandwidth, storage, or compute cycles so its tough to beat in that regard.

We do have one site on web synthesis and we are impressed with the speed and that it is tailor made for WP. Problem is for many sites it gets expensive and it doesn't have many backed capabilities such as adding ftp users, additional DBs, etc. But that site does have the most basic plan so that may be why we get so little to work with.

So we are looking for something quick and powerful that requires minimal maintenance, we are designers not network admins! But we would also like to stay in the $150-$200 range if at all possible. Sorry for writing a book but this has been a nagging problem for about a year and the first time posting in WHT. Any help and or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

25 websites, are they all running on Wordpress? maybe look into application focused hosting from medialayer.com or semi-dedicated package from fused.com or hawkhost.com - you can also check the offers in the cloud hosting section if that's what you are looking for.

You could also consider a vps from site5.com which comes managed without root access so you don't have to do any server administration at all.

What is your traffic and other stats (cpu, memory,etc) like on those sites?
    Last edited by 1Ali; 01-25-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Well my suggestion is to make your budget a little bigger.

Solution A:
    -Wiredtree dedicated server, it includes proactive service monitoring and proactive security updates. It also comes with Full Management: https://www.wiredtree.com/supportservices/ (please see limitations at their website).

-I have used many times WT, they are top notch. In case that you need some tasks that are out of their full management, you can always ask them a quote for the specific jobs or task that need to be done per your instructions. They are very flexible.

Solution B:
    -Get a server from a well known DC service provider like PhoenixNap and HiVelocity.

-Contact Rack911 (Steven/Patrick) for fully proactive server management.

Both solutions will bring you the performance and reliability that you want.
    --

Your budget is fair enough for a pretty good loaded VPS with plenty of CPU, 8-10 GB of RAM and SSDs for the high I/O load on the databases or even a small dedicated server.

Full Server Administration will be easy to get with the VPS/Dedi package on the offer section.

Also make sure to get a hosting solution close to your target audience to minimize connectivity latency.

I would suggest a dedicated server too. You can get a very nice server with 16GB of RAM fully managed for your budget. You could probably get 24-32GB of Ram for the higher end if your budget.
    Energized Web Hosting
    VPS Hosting | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Domain Names

You may need a dedicated server or resource-heavy VPS (or cloud VPS), using CloudLinux.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    You may need a dedicated server or resource-heavy VPS (or cloud VPS), using CloudLinux.
    CloudLinux has no added benefits in a dedicated environment

Quote Originally Posted by WireNine View Post
    Is not wise to say that. In his particular case CAGEFS is a huge advantage. If one site get hacked, all the other will not be affected technically.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by WireNine View Post
    Huh... ???
    Fusioned - http://www.fusioned.net
    Enterprise & Semi-Dedicated Hosting | CloudLinux, cPanel, LiteSpeed, Acronis | PHP 5.6, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 & 8.0
    Fully Managed SSD KVM VPS & Dedicated Servers | CloudFlare & Acronis Partner | RIPE LIR

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post

Solution A:
    -Wiredtree dedicated server, it includes proactive service monitoring and proactive security updates. It also comes with Full Management: https://www.wiredtree.com/supportservices/ (please see limitations at their website).

-I have used many times WT, they are top notch. In case that you need some tasks that are out of their full management, you can always ask them a quote for the specific jobs or task that need to be done per your instructions. They are very flexible.

Solution B:
    -Get a server from a well known DC service provider like PhoenixNap and HiVelocity.

-Contact Rack911 (Steven/Patrick) for fully proactive server management.

Both solutions will bring you the performance and reliability that you want.
    Thanks for the mention!
    SingleHop | Chicago - New York - Phoenix - Amsterdam | People Empowered by Automation
    TJ Waldorf | VP, Inside Sales & Marketing | @tj_waldorf | twaldorf @ singlehop.com | poweredby.ai

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post
    Solution A:

Thank you for thinking of us HRR1963!

Regarding the OP's original request, I think their price range of around $200 is perfect if they are looking for a powerful but managed dedicated server somewhere.

Gatorglaze24, make sure you choose a dedicated server with SSD for MySQL when you are looking around at your options. It's worth the sacrifice in space! If you have space needs that exceed SSD for your budget, consider using a SATA drive for your primary OS and /home. A smaller SSD drive could then be mounted as /var/lib/mysql in order to utilize the speed where you need it most.

Also, consider using a 1-2 punch in Wordpress by taking advantage of advanced caching plugins. There are many choices out there but one of my favorite would be W3TC + Memcache. This way you are minimizing dynamic content generation while highly accelerating any required MySQL disk io. I have seen people go with these type of setups time and time again with great success.
    James Webb
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | New: Pure SSD RAID-10 Fully Managed VPS
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    james@wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510