Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Cloud Platform

I've been tasked with finding an appropriate Cloud platform that's both stable and affordable.

May I know what your general thoughts are on what cloud platform to choose?

Cloud Needs: Self healing is always nice. KVM, and XEN Virtulization. Needs to support stand alone Cloud servers and virtual servers. Public and private Cloud, etc.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

I was looking at onapp

we are little behind because of cost of SAN
    Comcities.com| provide hosting solutions – Since 2002
    Icecast Hosting | Shoutcast Hosting | Mobile Streaming | Live TV Streaming | Live Radio Streaming
    CPanel Hosting Solutions | Dedicated Servers | Wowza Media Dedicated Servers | CDN Solutions

With onAPP SAN is not necessary. The starting price of onAPP is just so expensive compared to Plesk.

Plesk = Parallels Cloud . Just in case so that no one is confused to what I'm referring to.

+ 1 for OpenStack is open source.

Each platform has advantages and disadvantages, all depends on what you want. and do not believe there the best.
    Cybernes Hosting: Hosting Cusco

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuardian View Post
    I've been tasked with finding an appropriate Cloud platform that's both stable and affordable.

Cloud Needs: Self healing is always nice. KVM, and XEN Virtulization. Needs to support stand alone Cloud servers and virtual servers. Public and private Cloud, etc.

in the EU: iwstack.com, they are the best in Cloud hosting in EU.
    Un the US and EU: DigtialCoean.com - really good prices, lots of features (less then iwStack, but still).

See my guides about DigitalOcean and IwStack.com
    20 day review of Digital Ocean
    Entering cloud hosting – with iwStack.com (Prometeus)
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (56+ months), KnownHost.com (56+ months)

I think the question was more about software management platform?

My vote would go with onapp

Cloud Hosting

There are a lot of things to think about when choosing a cloud provider. One thing to keep in mind, not all clouds are the same and not all clouds are for everyone. Sure, people are going to have their favorites as well and will chime-in.

What I have noticed is, Scalability, Business Agility, go to market, service delivery, High Availability, are all key factors in choosing a provider. Moving to a Cloud model is not just a buzz word or Cool Tech, its a business decision.

It also does depend on what you are looking for in a Cloud Provider. Pay-as-you-go Public Cloud is often a great choice for the DIY guy who wants to prevision a ready-to-run environment.. Where as a SaaS company may need extra hands and technical abilities/resources to meet the goals of the company.

Choosing a provider can sometimes be a quick trigger pull but I would suggest looking at this from a business standpoint. What are you trying to accomplish in choosing a provider?

There's hypervisors like XEN, VMware, Openstack, there's SAN's, there networking (1G of 10G), there's monitoring, management, billing, security, backup/recovery -- lots to consider.

The best solution for you depends on:

- Is this a new venture or are you migrating existing critical systems to cloud
    - Is this for internal use or are you reselling to the public
    - How much resources do you plan to use now, in 6 months, 12 months
    - What is your expected uptime; do you need HA

There are many solutions out there, can you provide a little more detail on your needs?
    Secure Hosting | Premium Cloud & Dedicated hosting solutions since 2001
    email: sales(at)securehost(dot)com • +1-242-502-8700 • 24/7 support by phone/helpdesk
    Located in The Bahamas & Bermuda: Redundant Cooling, Power & Network, PCI DSS compliant, 7ms from USA

I join the opinion of JPowersDD and SecureHostRichard, it depends on your need, you've to ask the good questions...

+1 hypervisor :CloudStack that you could try, opensource too
    (we run it with Xen, and offer a free trial period, if any one would give it a try)

Quote Originally Posted by SecureHostRichard View Post
    There's hypervisors like XEN, VMware, Openstack, there's SAN's, there networking (1G of 10G), there's monitoring, management, billing, security, backup/recovery -- lots to consider.

The best solution for you depends on:

There are many solutions out there, can you provide a little more detail on your needs?

>>> New Venture.

>>> Reselling to the public

>>> I have the servers and equipment and I was hoping for a long time venture.

>> Since this is supposed to be a cloud infrastructure,I was hoping for a 100% SLA. I mean I could do with 99.9%

The best platform is what fits your needs. If you are looking more turnkey, I would consider OnAPP. If you want to build from scratch up and add your own tweaks, shoot for Openstack. The best cloud is the one that fits your needs and works best for you.

I tested CloudStack by Apache and its really amazing and to my surprise it was stable ... ( I had that feeling xD )

We're currently testing OnApp and designing hardware for it to use in production which gets really costly. 10Gb switches, NICs, SSD SAN, servers, etc. Just to start it gets into $250k+ range with everything included. OnApp is minimum $500/month as well.

... just saw your response and that this will be public. In that case if you choose OnApp pay for it for the support and integrated storage.

For 100% you need HA with everything, that means internet drops in the DC, routers, switches, NICs in the hosts, hosts themselves, SAN, etc. Your costs go significantly up.

Leaving this in here for others to reference.
    But if your cloud can live with 16 cores, they do offer a free version. You can have as many hosts as you'd like aas long as they don;'t go over 16 CPU cores combined, so say 4 hosts with quad core CPU's and maybe 64GB RAM each. You can build your own SAN using various open source software, the free version of Starwind, or even Windows storage services. If this is something to use internally and you're not selling it as a service I think it's a great option.

The advantages of OnApp is that it's popular so there is decent community support for it. It's turn key and you can get it up and running in less than a day.
    Mike Kauspedas - GearHost
    PaaS Cloud for .NET and PHP Developers
    Publish using Git, Visual Studio 2013 or FTP. Signup - No credit card required
    Personal blog www.mikesaysmeh.com

Quote Originally Posted by ghMike View Post
    We're currently testing OnApp and designing hardware for it to use in production which gets really costly. 10Gb switches, NICs, SSD SAN, servers, etc. Just to start it gets into $250k+ range with everything included. OnApp is minimum $500/month as well.

... just saw your response and that this will be public. In that case if you choose OnApp pay for it for the support and integrated storage.

For 100% you need HA with everything, that means internet drops in the DC, routers, switches, NICs in the hosts, hosts themselves, SAN, etc. Your costs go significantly up.

Leaving this in here for others to reference.
    But if your cloud can live with 16 cores, they do offer a free version. You can have as many hosts as you'd like aas long as they don;'t go over 16 CPU cores combined, so say 4 hosts with quad core CPU's and maybe 64GB RAM each. You can build your own SAN using various open source software, the free version of Starwind, or even Windows storage services. If this is something to use internally and you're not selling it as a service I think it's a great option.

The advantages of OnApp is that it's popular so there is decent community support for it. It's turn key and you can get it up and running in less than a day.

Thank you. I can start up the free version, run it in a test environment and see how everything works out. I've been a freelancer for too long... I was thinking it's time to start my own business aside from freelancing. onAPP free svcs would work to start, then as my business grows I can grown with it.

I've almost found the perfect domain for the job..and with your advice I could really get started without spending much.
    Of course I would still need to buy the servers because I'm definitely going to collocate instead of renting servers.

Thanks again. onAPP it is.

Sounds good, if you have any questions I'm watching this thread.
    Mike Kauspedas - GearHost
    PaaS Cloud for .NET and PHP Developers
    Publish using Git, Visual Studio 2013 or FTP. Signup - No credit card required
    Personal blog www.mikesaysmeh.com

We have been using cloudstack on XenServer for quite some time. It is not trivial to setup initially (not terribly hard either). There were some bugs at the start, but once everything was ironed out it has been rock solid in production.

Quote Originally Posted by dediserve View Post
    I think the question was more about software management platform?

My vote would go with onapp
    Even my vote goes for onapp as I think it one of the most flexible and affordable options for taking businesses into cloud environments.

+1 for onapp. Their pricing model is fair given the support that comes with the package.

As we know onapp need many config like network config and more than 3 vlan needed as said by onapp support, so i assume its hard for small hosting business who don't have vlan option, mostly colocation users have own switch and vlan's, is there any other option for cloud, simple & powerful?

Onapp is indeed a little work to get running, but there are several providers of 'turnkey' onapp solutions. Dell sell onapp 'clouds' that you just install in a colo, and private onapp clouds are also provided by many providers.

Onapp is indeed a little work to get running, but there are several providers of 'turnkey' onapp solutions. Dell sell onapp 'clouds' that you just install in a colo, and private onapp clouds are also provided by many providers.
    Yep - we actually just announced our CloudPOD partnership with Peer1 today as well that should make it even easier for clients wanting to run OnApp based clouds to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by IGobyTerry View Post
    Yep - we actually just announced our CloudPOD partnership with Peer1 today as well that should make it even easier for clients wanting to run OnApp based clouds to get started.
    And we just received email from onapp about CloudPOD, let see what's next, sounds looks good, let's see.

The pod idea is the existing dell solution with colo from peer 1? Is the pricing available?

The pod idea is the existing dell solution with colo from peer 1? Is the pricing available?
    Just got the email newsletter. Yes, it's Dell hardware with colo from Peer1.

They promise a turnkey solution and getting into production in 72 hours. No pricing though, you have to contact OnApp for that.
    ZerOne Hosting
    The experts on Windows VPS Services

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast