Need a new website and host

Hi all! I run a 400= kid little league in my town. We are using a host that Little League tells us to use but it sucks. We want to get our own website. We already have and pay for a domain. We do not lots to spend per month on a site but do have have money for it. I am not sure where to start. Help!

I spoke with Web.com this evening and they seemed to have what would work great for us but it is a little pricey, $114.95 per month or $850 per year (discounted). Here is what it includes:
    -free website setup
    -advertise and market it for us for better search results
    -free 1-800 3 to link to a league representative
    -Internet score card
    -Domain transfer and yearly renewal included
    -Hosting
    -Mobile website
    -Google maps (apparently they are a Google partner that give them access to everything Google
    -24 hour tech support, customs website that they can have have completed and running in seven day
    -ease of use for my board members to update as necessary

So i know this seems like a lot and I like for our league but its pretty pricey for kids baseball. I have looked at Go Daddy and I see its much cheaper but I don't think we would get any of the options that Web.com can offer.

I am looking for alternatives that might be less money and provide the same services that Web.com can.

I would appreciate any help, guidance and direction that you may have to help out. I figure there must be other alternatives I just don't know where to look.

Thanks for your help!

Have a look in the offers section you should be able to find a host there. Looking at web.com all it is a site builder engine. As mentioned already hire a developer to build a nice Wordpress site plenty of them around.

Good luck in your quest.
    The Friendly,Personal Service Hosting Company
    Offering Pure SSD Hosting Services, Infrastructure built for Reliability and Speed
    https://www.packet3hosting.com

You're looking for three distinct services really, so you should be seeking them separately:

1. Website design and CMS integration so you can manage the content (one-off cost, probably best to go with WordPress; could cost hundreds if it has to be completely bespoke rather than modifications to an existing/free theme)
    2. Hosting (shouldn't be more than $20/month for such a site)
    3. Online marketing (not necessarily that important if you're not targeting randoms of the internet)

Start seeing these as individual things and it should get easier to figure it all out. For your particular project, my recommendation would be to get economical WordPress hosting and then go buy yourself a premium theme from WooThemes or similar. If you need bespoke work on top of that, get a contractor from somewhere like PeoplePerHour to do it. And as for the marketing, unless you need someone to actually spread the word and get other sites to exchange links with you it's not really something you need to spend money on — WordPress is already optimised for SEO performance.

Yeah I agree with the above, a Webhost is there to host your website, not to provide everything like a site, you can get a site builder on some hosts, some charge a fee (Breezi), some a free (RVSiteBuilder).

You can buy a theme from Themeforest for HTML / Wordpress. http://themeforest.net

Google is easy if you can get a XML sitemap, and join the Google WebmastersTool website https://www.google.com/webmasters/

SEO plugins will help if you need them, but only a few are recommended as some are power hungry and could end up using up resources that can get your site suspended or unresponsive due to hitting site limits.

If you don't know how to install Wordpress you can install it if the host has Softaculous, you can go on that, click on Blogs then click Wordpress and click install. After that just follow the wizard.

I recommend FreshRoastedHosting and CrocWeb and good luck with your website.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Should you really still be recommending CrocWeb when you haven't used them for a year now and they've recently suffered some fairly significant issues that've led to customers dropping like flies?

Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    Should you really still be recommending CrocWeb when you haven't used them for a year now and they've recently suffered some fairly significant issues that've led to customers dropping like flies?

Just saying...
    Customers are not dropping like flies. We had some issues just like other hosts could.
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

I think every host has issues when it comes to DDoS attack.

Just saying...

imo $100+/month is a complete rip off, since you can get some of those "add-ons" they offer for less, and some even for free. not to mention you're most probably going to be put on a shared server which would cost you less than $20/month.

as others have said, you should get those things done separately. get someone to build your website for you then search for a good web host.

i would go with cloud computing so you know what you are paying for and can scale up should you have the need

Just saying...
    Well I've had two services with them and I would use them again if I needed shared hosting again because I trust them, and I enjoyed their services like many more like me.

Every host has downtime due to DDos Attacks or power cuts, they are un-expected and happen at every host. Not going to hide this but we also was effected by a ddos before them on the network we use. We was down for a day and a bit, however our customers supported us whilst it was being sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by ModServ View Post
    Think about the benefits you are really need .. I think you only need a stable web hosting service & domain .. Maybe some Facebook page marketing.

Good Luck.
    Quite right. Look for someone that is DDoS protected as well. Once someone on a shared structure gets atacked, the rest on that structure are likely to suffer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
    Quite right. Look for someone that is DDoS protected as well. Once someone on a shared structure gets atacked, the rest on that structure are likely to suffer as well.
    If you want to get a DDOS attack protection .. I think you will pay a lot .. as the protection software is expensive.

If you want to get a DDOS attack protection .. I think you will pay a lot .. as the protection software is expensive.
    Free with OVH.

Those threads were both posted before OVH launched its 480Gbps DDoS protection in mid-2013.

I know for a fact that kiddies have thrown attacks over 100Gbps at OVH and it hasn't stuttered. The only thing OVH is truly vulnerable to is application/software attacks (i.e. layer 7), where flaws in the configuration of the web servers and/or site are exploited. However, no amount of automated protection can thoroughly defend against those. That's where you need to make sure your server has been properly configured to protect against Apache connections being kept open for ages, etc.
    Last edited by Ryan Williams; 01-26-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Those threads were both posted before OVH launched its 480Gbps DDoS protection in mid-2013.

I know for a fact that kiddies have thrown attacks over 100Gbps at OVH and it hasn't stuttered. The only thing OVH is truly vulnerable to is application/software attacks (i.e. layer 7), where flaws in the configuration of the web servers and/or site are exploited. However, no amount of automated protection can thoroughly defend against those. That's where you need to make sure your server has been properly configured to protect against Apache connections being kept open for ages, etc.
    Thanks for your feedback .. As this issue is bothering a lot of websites owners.

Most protection vendors will hold adequately under L4 or volumetric attacks, where they can use automated techniques, disctibuted structures and large channel capacities. L7 is what can require human intervention and knowing what you're doing in order to at least minimize the effect of the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by reto View Post
    Most protection vendors will hold adequately under L4 or volumetric attacks, where they can use automated techniques, disctibuted structures and large channel capacities. L7 is what can require human intervention and knowing what you're doing in order to at least minimize the effect of the attack.
    Agreed; high volume simply network layer floods are pretty easy for any provider to mitigate if they have the available bandwidth. For instance, the recent NTP DrDoS attacks have a tendency to reach around 100 Gbps but are easily mitigated with a policer on the router.

The more complex service layer and application layer attacks require special (expensive) gear and know-how.

Hey Steve, I'd advise you not to use web.com, as you mentioned the price, and them not really offering the quality you are paying for. Lets go through those options you mentioned real quick.

1)free website setup
    This is nice, however you could be better off finding a web designer that could make a much nicer website, or try asking a few hosting companies (they usually have someone with web design skills)
    -advertise and market it for us for better search results
    In a local little league this isn't really important. As if you type (insert town name here) Little League there will usually only be one relevant top result.
    -free 1-800 3 to link to a league representative
    Once again, is this really necessary? People may be more inclined to use a local number if they need to get in touch with a representative and a 1-800 corporate number may put them off.
    -Internet score card
    Nothing you can't find the info of yourself
    -Domain transfer and yearly renewal included
    Remember this is about 15 dollars a year...
    -Hosting
    Shouldn't be more than 10-20 a month MAX
    -Mobile website
    Most smartphones can handle full websites, as well as mobile websites easy to make.
    -Google maps (apparently they are a Google partner that give them access to everything Google
    Just requires a google business page, once again simple and nothing you can't do yourself.
    -24 hour tech support, customs website that they can have have completed and running in seven day
    Most of all hosting companies offer 24/7 support, even better than web.com as they are focused in hosting, and not all of the above..
    -ease of use for my board members to update as necessary
    Wordpress, or any other generator will make it simple.
    Winged Hosting LLC | Reliable Web Hosting! | Personal Support!| Inexpensive quality alternatives
    █Personalized 24/7 Support! | Up to 30 Day Money Back
    █Learn More About Us!