shopping for chat support

Yes i know another thread on this lol... i have searched and have not really found what i wanted which is why i am doing this post.

Most of what i found in search maybe has a name or site address but no real review type feedback. So i thought i would let you know where we have been and what we are looking for and maybe get some feedback that way. I do have WHMCS but we cant fit that in our budget right now.

Awhile back we bought crafty syntax, and this year we decided to go ahead and really begin to use all the features. Well the fact of the matter is that i think the developer has given up on it, no real support from the forum, the only time we here anything from them is when they need donations.

When we decided to try to bring it up to code (getting off the mysql library and going with mysqli or pdo) we found that although the script appears to function in most cases, in reality alot of stuff does not work, and behind the scene is slapped together as if they were putting out fires along the way and very sloppy unprofessional style of coding IMO.

We spent a week working on the auto invite and other items and got so much of it rewritten where it was working correctly only to find some real issues with the table structures and the way those tables are used, which caused us to take a step back.

What started out is wanting to get in ankle deep and fix a few things quickly became a neck deep issue and a project time pit. Plus the fact we would still need to upgrade it to mysqli or pdo after all this.

We decided to give up on it and just uninstalled it. So now we are shopping again and have found this.

livehelperchat.com/
    I dont know if it is any good or not, but it is on PDO right now, it does seem to have current support on the forum. But honestly i dont like installing stuff from lithuania.

Why, i am not saying anything bad about these people i dont know anything about them and i am reading up on them now, and i want to give them a chance. But i am a firm believer that we in the US are suckers for free stuff and bad people of the world know it and that is where our next attack is going to come from.

Not to say anything about this script or company, but it is so hard to tell now days, i just feel better taking that option out of the possibility as much as a can. Sorry lithuania i dont mean to put you on the fire but we have to take precautions as a company and removing a third world country option is a start.

So the script seems fine but i am just unsure about it.

So i guess you can tell what i want is:

1. something written in the USA (im willing to compromise worst case)
    2. open source
    3. must be on Mysqli or PDO
    4. must have positive reviews
    5. must be linux friendly
    6. easy to install
    7. current forum support
    8. budget sensitive
    9. PHP based
    10. Basic functions work out of the box

Thanks..
    Last edited by durangod; 01-24-2014 at 01:30 PM.

in order to give them a fair shake here i have read a bit and found these links.

profile link

lt.linkedin.com/in/remigijuskiminas
    He claims to have worked here

olava.lt/Olava-Internet-Solutions/Olava-Internet-Solutions-an-open-source-solutions-integrator
    and here

coral.lt/
    and i think this is where he is currently its all i could find for *zats

zkoss.org/product/zats
    Last edited by durangod; 01-24-2014 at 02:04 PM.

ok so i have had livehelper chat for a day, not completely set up but it seems ok, it looks nice and it works, some features still in the planning but you cant beat the price. I would like to be able to create my own invite images and map the two buttons "chat" and "no thanks" and be able to use those as invites rather than just the message box but i guess that might come later. Right now with the limited exposure i have had from 1 to 10 i will give it a 7+ because its open source, looks nice, up to date, and works.

One thing i should mention is that IE does not have a notifier they said we can thank microsoft for that. So what that means is that you (or your operators) will need to run the script in firefox and there is a chrome addon as well. When you do your set up there is a button you can push for request notification and if your in IE you will get a message that says something about no support, if your in firefox you will just need to accept the settings and your done.

This means that if you (or your operators) running the script in IE you will not get the notifications from visitors of your site for help, but with FF or chrome you should be fine.
    Last edited by durangod; 01-25-2014 at 12:32 AM.

well last update here unless something goes way wrong lol.. I must eat some crow here, i am pleasantly pleased with my choice here and happy i gave them a chance, support is pretty fast and well informed and very helpfull.

There is a very slight lang barrier at times with the text in the script and the dicussion but nothing that is more than trivial at best.

There was some challenge in getting this to work in the billing section of WHMCS and especially behind the https protocol but i posted what i did here and its working..

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.ph...to-my-template

Thanks for listening, this seems to be a good option. I will def be donating as soon as i can. Times are so hard now days for us all.

livehelperchat seems an interesting project. thanks for posting all that info