Securing my new VPS

Hi!!!

First let me introduce myself im Rodrigo from mexico, and today i bought a VPS in BurstNet and i am very happy but since it is my first VPS server that i bought i have some doubts:

1.- The server came without RPMS of MySQL and developmment tools like compilers, nothing to afraid, im now installing (is this correct? i mean i needto imagine that this server it is on my home?)

2.- My idea to buy this server is to run my websites there (because the shared webhosters are expensive for me for the number of files that have my websites) (next question you will know why i am telling this)

3.- As i can see the server it is without so much security, could be good idea to put "portsentry" and some of my securing scripts that i put for my customers? (actually i sell to my customers asterisk based pbx then i need to secure them) or VPS is different in that way?

As for now are all my doubts, i hope soon i can tell how happy i am with my VPS

Best Regards

Rodrigo

Welcome to WHT

Let me ask you this first, will you be running any control panel on the server such as cPanel? I would highly recommend it if you will be hosting several websites.

cPanel itself offers quite a few security features in their control panel, but you can definitely take extra steps to secure your server. For instance disabling unnecessary services, installing CSF (ConfigServer Firewall) and ConfigServer Exploit Scanner, using mod_security, keeping your OS up to date, etc...
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

Since this is your first VPS, I will also suggest you to start with any control panel. cPanel is recommended with a free 15-days trail.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

Please note also that cPanel will just make your life easier with creating accounts and compiling needed basic software but you need to go into deep setup and understand how to secure your VPS properly.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Rodrigo,

The best for you would be to use some control panel like: Cpanel/Directadmin/Plesk to have things configured properly. Later you can check some better security tips for those solutions.
    Marcin Krupinski
    HOSTINEURO
    Fast,reliable VPS and Dedicated Servers in Europe (Germany / Netherlands)
    Red Hat Certified Engineer(RHCE)

Hello Rodrigo and welcome! What experience do you have with Linux? If you know how to manage things on Linux, you can immagine that you are on "localhost". You should keep in mind that blocking ports or securing your VPS could drop your connection and you will loose the contact with the VPS (you are not directly on the console). If you have poor experience with Linux, my recommandation too would be to use a control panel (Kloxo or Virtualmin are free). You can install a control panel with few easy steps described on their homepage.
    == 1Gbps Unmetered SSD VPS and Large Storage cloud servers ==
    == Virtual Servers hosted on XEN platform with dedicated resources ==
    == Stability, Instant Activation and Instant Support ==
    == Install Kloxo - The best control panel ==

Your best option would be to use a paid control panel which goes by the name cPanel or a free solution like webmin or kloxo I think was the name. There are a lot of easy tutorials and control panels you can install. There are many free control panels if you take that route if free just be sure to choose the right panel for yourself. Also there is a lot when it comes to managing a server all I can suggest to you is read all about Linux and don't give up. Also be sure that none of your scripts you use on your site that they are fully updated and patched if not then you'll have a huge mess.

On here WHT look for dedicated or vps tutorials forum there are a **** load of tutorials and guides very detailed explaing everything.

Also install rootkithunter