Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Server Information

Hello,

I am planning to purchase Dedicated server i am writting configuration below please suggest how many maximum normal and corporate users i can host in this configuration?

Dual Xeon 5650
    2.66Ghz - 3.06Ghz 2 Processors
    12 Cores / 24 Threads
    8GB or 16GB DDR3
    2TB SATA
    100mbit unmetered

Please suggest me more better configuration if you have idea.

What are you planing on using the server for? More info will help us to offer better suggestions.

Not many providers carry the 5650 anymore, they are quite powerful processors. what is your budget?

Again, what are you planning to use the server for exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_M View Post
    What are you planing on using the server for? More info will help us to offer better suggestions.
    Hello,

There i will host customers, no heavy sites and no media related heavy sites just normal corporate customers and some customer uses wordpress etc and many uses email acounts...

So I am just going to assume you will be running cPanel and offering just regular hosting? Well you will definitely have disk IO bottlenecks before you come close to using the max CPU or memory and let alone that is very unsafe to use just a single HDD. Atleast go with 2 x 2TB drives in Raid-1 for redundancy purposes. Preferably I would suggest 4 x 1TB drives in Raid-10 for the best performance and the capability to take advantage of a server like that without having bottlenecks.

Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
    So I am just going to assume you will be running cPanel and offering just regular hosting? Well you will definitely have disk IO bottlenecks before you come close to using the max CPU or memory and let alone that is very unsafe to use just a single HDD. Atleast go with 2 x 2TB drives in Raid-1 for redundancy purposes. Preferably I would suggest 4 x 1TB drives in Raid-10 for the best performance and the capability to take advantage of a server like that without having bottlenecks.
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply, yes i will use cpanel as a regular hosting, lets assume i have 1TB x 2 hard drives with this high configuration, what about bottlenecks? who will provide this or how do i have to manage it?

please also confirm me what should be the price for same server config with cpanel from better provider..

Config:
    Dual Xeon 5650
    2.66Ghz - 3.06Ghz 2 Processors
    12 Cores / 24 Threads
    8GB or 16GB DDR3
    1TB x 2 SATA
    100mbit unmetered
    Cpanel

Another one is:

Xeon E3 1230 v2
    8GB or 16GB DDR3
    1TB x 2 SATA
    100mbit unmetered
    Cpanel included

Well you should give us the price so we can tell you if it is a good deal. You really need to increase your IO and I have gone over that in my last post. You do that by adding additional drives into your raid array. The most balanced config is your last one with the E3.

As suggested already, you should definitely use at least a RAID 1 setup to improve performance.

Pricing depends where you buy from, what is the pricing of those machines?

My budget for this kind of config with cpanel is around $100-$110, without cpanel i have seen 79$ 2TB 8GB Dual Xeon 5650.

For $79/month you're getting a ton of server on the Dual 5650. I'd say go with that and be happy. However, for such a low price you may find problems down the road with service (Uptime, support responses, hardware replacements, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by 4alltech View Post
    My budget for this kind of config with cpanel is around $100-$110, without cpanel i have seen 79$ 2TB 8GB Dual Xeon 5650.
    Makes absolutely no sense to me. The 5650's are very power hungry and fast, however with 8GB memory they will do little to nothing. Such a setup needs multiple disks, a lot of ram (64GB+) and a good raid controller to really shine.
    Frankly speaking, any good carrier neutral datacenter's power charge would surpass $79,- / month just for the powerusage of before mentioned server. I am very curious what datacenter or provider would offer that setup at that price (i am sure many Altcoin miners will be curious as well) can you mention the provider that offers Dual 5650s @ $79,- ? do not confuse them with 55xx or even the currently popular in budget markets L54xx servers, as they pack quite a lot more punch then either of these.

That said.
    Do not stare blind at hardware specs!, dare to ask about specifications that really matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    For $79/month you're getting a ton of server on the Dual 5650. I'd say go with that and be happy. However, for such a low price you may find problems down the road with service (Uptime, support responses, hardware replacements, etc).
    He "may"?

If he won't suffer all the problems you mentioned, he should start a religion that worships the host that provided him with that deal.

I think at $79 you are getting an absolute bargain, as others have stated that is a powerful CPU but it is incredibly power hungry. I run two machines with the X5670 and the X5680 and the bottleneck is never the CPU. You are going to want more than 8GB RAM and you are going to want more than 2 x 1TB HDD. I would suggest a good RAID controller with 4 disks in RAID 10 minimum if you are going to want to utilise this servers performance.

The machine is going to be power hungry and I struggle to see how the datacenter can make any money on that leasing you that machine. The CPU power consumption and everything else it just doesnt seem cost effective for them.

For running a cPanel server for some websites, it seems a little "overkill" to me. I think you'd be better off with the E3 setup, you'd have a more balanced system which you could utilise. If it is similarly priced and at a different provider you are likely to get a better support service. The other one seems too cheap to be true to me, but maybe I am skeptical and pessimistic.

Good luck with your decision!

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Makes absolutely no sense to me. The 5650's are very power hungry and fast, however with 8GB memory they will do little to nothing. Such a setup needs multiple disks, a lot of ram (64GB+) and a good raid controller to really shine.
    Frankly speaking, any good carrier neutral datacenter's power charge would surpass $79,- / month just for the powerusage of before mentioned server.
    100% agree. The machine will be consuming around 300 Watts what comes close to $50-60 for electricity bill only. Add internet, support, amortization, collocation and you will be near $100-120 / monthly with 0 profit margin.

Well, I know Datashack sells it at that price (though it appears OOS). One can have whatever opinion toward them but they seem to have been around for a while.

I guess electricity is cheap in their DC.

You will definitely need more RAM so go with the 16GB option instead.

There is no hard and fast rule on the amount of servers you can host, however, I believe that you can host a good number of users on the above machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple-Hosting View Post
    He "may"?

If he won't suffer all the problems you mentioned, he should start a religion that worships the host that provided him with that deal.
    Hello,

I am not crazy i have seen prices thats why i have written:

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

check there yourself man

Quote Originally Posted by 4alltech View Post
    Hello,

I am not crazy i have seen prices thats why i have written:

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

check there yourself man
    They are out of stock though.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyslaw4267 View Post
    They are out of stock though.
    It was in stock when i posted here,

Quote Originally Posted by efuzone View Post
    It was in stock when i posted here,
    We're limiting the number of servers we have for sale to 100 per day so we can keep within our deployment times and not kill our technicians. If it's out of stock today, put your name on the waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by alnitech View Post
    100% agree. The machine will be consuming around 300 Watts what comes close to $50-60 for electricity bill only. Add internet, support, amortization, collocation and you will be near $100-120 / monthly with 0 profit margin.
    300 watts comes out to $8.64 per month in electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    300 watts comes out to $8.64 per month in electricity.
    Well... well... well... Overselling of a power ? New business model or just arithmetical mistake ? In both cases you are totally wrong.

$$$ = powerInConsumption * t * Price

where:

powerInConsumption = I * U

What gives:

$ = I*U*t*price , where I in amps, U in volts, t - in same time units as in price (hors), price W/h

I'll do your homework and calculate it for your facility:
    http://www.electricchoice.com/electr...s-by-state.php
    Missouri, 2013: 7.37 KW/h what gives 0.00737 W/h

$=3A*110V*24h*30days*0.00737 = 1751.112 cents per month or $17.52

Non-stabilized, no cooling, single source, no generators, no distribution or any other kind of electrical equipment amortization.

Like some people getting internet out-of-nowhere are you getting you power from your own secret nuclear plant? Please share your secret.

Quote Originally Posted by alnitech View Post
    Well... well... well... Overselling of a power ? New business model or just arithmetical mistake ? In both cases you are totally wrong.

Like some people getting internet out-of-nowhere are you getting you power from your own secret nuclear plant? Please share your secret.
    I always find it odd how people who have no clue tell me I'm wrong.

I have a power bill. When I divide out the check I sent the power company by the number of kWh used I come up with a net per kWh. That includes facility fees, delivery fees, taxes, economic development credits, etc. My net per kWh cost comes out to about $0.03 per kWh.

When I came up with the number above I padded it high because I figured some know-it-all would tell me I was wrong.

Even without my econ development credits I'm still at about $0.06 per kWH. 300 watts * 720 hours /1000 * $0.06 = $12.96

That's my secret. Using my actual power bill that contains my real world numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast