Is it needed userid and password for testing vulnerabilities in a website?

We are a company that has many web application developed in ASP.NET. Our Internet Service Provider (Telefonica) wants to test our web sites looking for vulnerabilities. For that, they are asking us to provide them userid and password (read-only access) for each web site.

It's the first time that I heard that for testing vulnerabilities in websites you need to inform userid and password to an IPS. Is it not supposed that for testing vulnerabilities you should try to break or hack websites without knowing that precious info? Maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeteta View Post
    We are a company that has many web application developed in ASP.NET. Our Internet Service Provider (Telefonica) wants to test our web sites looking for vulnerabilities. For that, they are asking us to provide them userid and password (read-only access) for each web site.
    1. If your application is like this, offering username and password to access limited area (for non subscribers, testing trying, demos etc) yes is OK.

It's the first time that I heard that for testing vulnerabilities in websites you need to inform userid and password to an IPS. Is it not supposed that for testing vulnerabilities you should try to break or hack websites without knowing that precious info? Maybe I'm wrong.
    Yes, it is not OK if my "1" is not the case. Any test for vulnerabilities should be done without a username or password, If I have the username and password what is the purpose of the test?

Regards
    ROWEBCA
    Server Services

Thanks for your response.

Now given a second thought, could be that the difference between Vulnerability Testing and Penetration Testing?

I'm guessing they're going to look at your code and scan for malware or hacked software.

Thanks for your response.

Now given a second thought, could be that the difference between Vulnerability Testing and Penetration Testing?
    Look here:

https://security.berkeley.edu/conten...ation=node/195

Just an example of how others are doing this.

Regards
    ROWEBCA
    Server Services

Ya that sounds fishy, pen testing is supposed to be done without the username or password, did you try asking for a detailed explanation as to why they need those credentials?

Our Internet Service Provider (Telefonica) wants to test our web sites looking for vulnerabilities.
    Are you absolutely sure about that? My first thought would be a phish from someone pretending to be your ISP.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Finally, I know what kind of vulnerabilities testing are they going to perform. They are going to use Qualys Guard Scan and perform "authenticated scans". First time I've heard about that. According to Qualys company, they are very helpful to find security vulnerabilities:

https://community.qualys.com/thread/11562

Any experience with that kind of scans?

Well,
    If you have user dynamic content, a username/password can be useful to test features that are not wide open.
    In the end if you want your site tested for vulns, you don't need a automated scan. You need guys who perform input validation manually.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance