Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Be aware of Burst.NET dedicated servers

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this review so you can avoid any Burst.NET dedicated servers.

On friday 13th I ordered a dedicated server from it's Dunmore facilities, since it was weekend I supposed it will take a few days to provision... and I was right, my pain just started.

Wednesday, Sept 18 - I asked about my server at 12:30 PM (noon), it has been 5 days including the weekend and it supposedly will take 24-72 hours (I ordered Win, so I thought it will take 72)

Sept 19, 3:00 AM - I got a response from a technician asking for my order number... don't they have my data as I provided hostname, email, service pin.

Sept 19, 10:00 AM - I replied with my order number

Sept 19, 11 PM - Someone replied telling me that he will forward my issue to the "correct" department

Sept 20, 4 PM - Some replied that my server will be soon and they will move my billing date a week

Sept 22, 1 AM - I asked again about my server, I got billed for a VPS I ordered 5 days ago and the auto paid the invoice and this for a new month (November paid u.u)

Sept 23, 11 AM - I asked again about my server

Sept 23, 12 PM - Someone finally replied because I spent 2 hours on the phone telling me that my server will be provided "soon"

Sept 24, 6:30 PM - I requested a full refund.

Have special mention that I called 3 times and they took up to 2 hours to answer the phone... the 4th time I spent 2 hours on the phone, and, 5 PM, no more AM available

I know they are cheap, I know I ordered a promo dedicated server, I know they are unmanaged, but c'mon, 11 days and still no server?

That is my sad story

Can I get an order number so I can check on this for you?
    That wait does seem excessive for us.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Hi Burts.NET

My order is 10000150364, but my customer is really annoyed at this time =(, he wants a refund

I responded to your ticket to help you with this.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!

Lots of prior threads on this issue: http://tinyurl.com/mnql4xo
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

At least they are promptly looking into it to get it resolved
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

I have 2 dedicated servers with BurstNet and have been with them for 5 years. I have had problems, but they always had decent customer support - could actually talk to someone on the phone to help you. Just recently they made a transition to another data center and since that time their customer service has gone from about an 8 to a big ZERO! I am going to write a separate post with more detail about how bad their service (horrible downtime) and customer service now is (absolutely horrible support: before when one of my servers would go down, I'd be able to make a call and have it back up in minutes. This morning I find my server is down again, I call. The person I spoke with - after being on hold with 1 person in queue for 30 minutes - refused to even check into my server being down and said I would need to submit a ticket. I explained to him that I cannot even get setup in their ticketing system - they changed over that system and did not migrate my account - funny thing is they made sure that I can still pay invoices - he said he would not be able to help me. I asked him to reboot the server asap since that is an emergency and then to fix my issue with the ticketing system. He said he wouldn't do anything with my server until I submitted a ticket. He said if I wanted to speak to someone who could reboot my server it would cost me $65!!! I couldn't believe it. This is not the same company that I have been with for the past 5 years. I hung up. I sent an email to support this morning, but my server is still down (Been down for over 12 hours now) and no response from support@burst.net either other than a link to be able to view my ticket status - which does not work because I cannot log into their new system.

Take it from someone that has experience with this company, if you are considering BurstNet, look elsewhere.

@webprosmo

Our support desk system was updated several months ago from the old perldesk system we were using to a new Kayako ticketing system. Accounts were not migrated between the two and a newly created account is needed to log in. The support desk and the billing system and two completely different log ins and always have been.

In order to obtain support you would simply need to either create an account at support.burst.net in your browser OR mail to support@burst.net which should send you an auto-response with a ticket number which you could provide here for me to look into for you. Even without creating an account, when the ticket created by your email is responded to, it will return to the email you sent it from.

While reboot requests are accepted via phone, further support beyond that must be done via a ticket unless you are a fully managed client with phone support. There are also several other reasons that the technician would have required the matter being handled via a ticket such as the server being suspended for abuse or billing issues, even for a reboot request. I am not stating that is the case, just noting possible reasons.

If you did receive an auto-response with the ticket number, please provide it here so I can follow up on the issue for you.

Guy, here is the ticket # (btw, I have no billing or abuse issues with you) :
    #SFS-445-10136

I still have not received a response (in the ticket I asked to be set up in the ticketing system).

If you are the Guy (not a pun) who I've talked to via phone many times in the past, you have always been very helpful - so if you're still there that is a big plus for BurstNet.

I did call BurstNet again today a few hours later and spoke with Al who immediately went and rebooted the server. It does state on your website that reboots and emergencies can be handled with a phone call, which is to be expected. That is why I was so flabbergasted at the response I had this morning. I asked Al if he could tell me the name of the person who I spoke with this morning - he could not. You may want to find out who it was I spoke with this morning as he does not belong in customer service.

Of course the situation today doesn't rectify the issue last month with one of my servers being down for 2 1/2 days during the migration and no compensation or apology, only a defensive reply explaining how overworked and stressed your technicians have been in the migration process - which is understandable by the way. What is not understandable is telling your clients the migration will be a 6 hour process and then when it turns into over 60 hours, there is no compensation after a request to do so

it took a week for my server to be provisioned but the only time i have needed a reboot, it took like 20 minutes and the guy loaded the default kernal so i could fix my broken setup.

My apologies if there was a misunderstanding in your first conversation this morning webprosmo... we are training some new technicians and they are supposed to adhere to the ticket system and only provide phone support when applicable. I'll see if I can review the call and speak with the person in question tomorrow. By my understanding your issue was resolved when Al restarted the servers for you? If not, please let me know and I'll have someone look into the ticket immediately.

To answer your other question, yes I am the same 'Guy' who has been with Burst for years now... I've moved from support over into sales about 6 months ago but I still dabble and assist as needed.

In regards to the migration, that is no secret that it did not turn out as planned and caused some unanticipated issues. Please send a mail to sales@burst.net and I will address that matter with you directly tomorrow morning. I can guarantee we will make that matter right with you. If you have any other concerns please address those in your mail to sales as well. We value all of our customers and our long terms relationships.

Once again, my apologies for any misunderstanding earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by saschoen View Post
    it took a week for my server to be provisioned but the only time i have needed a reboot, it took like 20 minutes and the guy loaded the default kernal so i could fix my broken setup.
    We are still addressing issues with delays in server provisioning and new builds and apologies for the delay you faced. Large scale promotions and sales such as the ones that are currently running can cause higher than average build queues which then lead to delays.

Please open a ticket with the sales department in relation to the delay and we can request that your billing date be adjusted to reflect any delay beyond the normal 72 hour window.

We appreciate your patience.

it was a while ago, not worried about it. i got everything resolved.

Oh good old BurstNET. Only terrible memories about them. My servers were down often because of their poor network, but more often than because of the network, my servers were down because of ignorant staff or miscommunication between departments. Their communication with customers is a mess.

Once someone decided to "troll" me while I was on vacation. Someone introduced himself as ex-FBI (or national security agent, I don't remember now). He sent BurstNET a bogus complaint about a page that included a domain name which "was tied to criminal organisation". It was a review of a website, no offending content - just a few positive remarks and traffic stats (it was a pretty famous website, over 2 million visitors, and very clean - definitely not tied with any criminal organisations, it was also funded by well known investors). Nevermind that email was sent form @yahoo.com and that it was written so poorly anyone with half a brain would have understood it's worth nothing, BurstNET took all of my 6 servers down. I responded to ticket next day, they charged $50 to restore access to my servers and still took forever to restore the access, never mind that the fault was completely on their side.

Well maybe not completely on their side, I have to admit that. Yes, I should have reacted the the abuse report from the provider within 24 hours as per their TOS (I was not used to receiving these, I think it was the first and the last one I received during last few years). I was still very angry that they handled it without even reading the abuse report ("I'm ex-FBI and I don't like this page even though it does not violate any law in any country of the world or infringe any copyright" - is it all it takes to take down a cluster of servers at BurstNET?).

They closed down my business for a few days without even looking at the complaint (which was probably written by some kid). True story. I guess even that kid who pulled this off did not expect it will work.

Another story. Traveling again. Sent a PayPal payment before going on vacation. While on vacation, I get a call from co-founder and he says PayPal did a chargeback and limited our account because I've used mobile internet and they suspect my account was accessed by unauthorized party. Very unexpected. It was Friday morning and my BurstNET invoice was due that day. They did receive the payment a few days ago, but it was charged back and my PayPal was locked. I've provided all evidence to PayPal that it was me sending the payment and they said they will unlock the account in a few days.
    I call BurstNET, explain the situation - I'm in a remote rural area, I've been with BurstNET for a year, I have this PayPal issue and I need to work out a different Payment method. We agreed that I will make a payment on Monday and the guy on the phone assured me that my servers will not be suspended - he has marked it on my account. He wished me a nice weekend and I was relieved! Glad to know they care about my business.
    Saturday. Pingdom SMS messages - node 1 down... node 2 down... node 3 down... node 4 down... node 5 down...
    All servers suspended.
    I call them, only technical support is available. The guy on the phone says he understands the situation but is not authorized to help. Canceling vacation, driving to the city.
    Result: 2 Days of downtime.

Again - my fault for late payment (or rather paypal's - BurstNET was able to see the payment, so I was not kidding them). However, being given a false sense of "everything is alright" made me very disappointing to say the least. They simply lied.

Just a couple of horror stories. The network was horrible (perhaps it's fixed now, it was long time ago to be honest). I don't always write negative reviews. Actually, I think it's the only negative review I've ever written. I just needed to let this out.
    Last edited by NuPagady; 10-02-2013 at 09:55 AM.

FYI Guy, I still have not received a response from my support ticket about getting setup in the new ticketing system nor have I received a response from my email sent to sales@burst.net (only auto responses).

@webspromo - I responded to your ticket 02 October 2013 06:13 PM EDT, about 7 hours after it was opened. Would have been sooner but I was actually out of the office Wednesday. I have not seen the ticket updated since my response. #CNB-993-90304 is the number in the system.

Follow up

I wanted to be sure to give BurstNet plenty of time before I came back here to share publicly the results of the posts discussed in this thread.

As you can see from the above posts, Guy asked me to send an email to support and explain the problems I've had with BurstNet and that he would make sure I was taken care of.

After explaining the situation in writing as I was asked to do.. He then said I need to fill out an online SLA complaint form and explain it again. Which I did. I received no response for a few days and then received a message that my ticket was closed. I asked Guy why my message was closed. Here is the last response I received from Guy (Oct 8):

David,

The ticket system has an autoclose feature that applies to any ticket responded to by our staff after 48 hours of no response from the user. I don't personally handle the SLA but as soon as I have word back I would have just replied here and updated the ticket, reopening it. I will be following up with the powers that be this morning.

Guy Hopkins
    Sales Executive
    I have sent multiple replies and have been ignored! It's been over two weeks and I have heard nothing!

I am updating this thread so that others may be aware of the very poor customer service that exists with BurstNet. I have been a customer (with multiple dedicated servers) approaching 5 years and this is the kind of treatment I get. This is on top of what I already mentioned in a post toward the beginning of this thread.

You can see how poorly Guy has handled this and yet Guy is the best they have (shows you how poor the rest of the staff is). It is possible that Guy is no longer there (fired?), but to have my ticket fall through the cracks like that?!

You're probably wondering why I'm still there. Unfortunately, I have hundreds of accounts and migration to another host is not an easy task and at this point I simply do not have the time to do so. But yes, I will migrating to another host soon.

I only am taking the time for this post to help others who may be considering BurstNet. You've heard it from a long-term customer... The customer service is REALLY BAD!

Btw, here is what Guy originally told me:
    In regards to the migration, that is no secret that it did not turn out as planned and caused some unanticipated issues. Please send a mail to sales@burst.net and I will address that matter with you directly tomorrow morning. I can guarantee we will make that matter right with you. If you have any other concerns please address those in your mail to sales as well. We value all of our customers and our long terms relationships.
    Some guarantee! Do you really value your long term relationships with customers??

My apologies for the delay.
    Guy has been on unexpected leave for some time now due to a family emergency, and some things got dropped to the wayside due to that.
    Other staff members have picked up much of the slack from him, but some has been missed.
    I see the ticket # CNB-993-90304 mentioned above, and I will have someone attend to that ASAP for you.

why would they have the ticket automatically close? if that happens good luck with it ever getting noticed and done.

Quote Originally Posted by saschoen View Post
    why would they have the ticket automatically close? if that happens good luck with it ever getting noticed and done.

Kayako support system we currently utilize does not have a hold function unfortunately..which we are working on getting them to address...

To be fair I do need to update this post... I did receive a response today as you can see above. I was credited for a month of service. So the issue was finally addressed with compensation. . I understand that people in companies are people and things happen (Guy - family emergency), but this could have and should have been addressed before he left, no reason for it to drag on like it did. Nevertheless, I appreciate the courtesy compensation. Thank you.
    Last edited by webprosmo; 10-23-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: add

BurstGuyH: please reply my ticket now!!!!!. MY SITE DOWN OVER 10 HOURS and no reply from supporter!!!
    MY Ticket ID: USC-226-19595

Quote Originally Posted by ff1013 View Post
    BurstGuyH: please reply my ticket now!!!!!. MY SITE DOWN OVER 10 HOURS and no reply from supporter!!!
    MY Ticket ID: USC-226-19595
    10 hours? Did you call them instead? That is a long wait and you should call now.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    10 hours? Did you call them instead? That is a long wait and you should call now.
    I don't live in US, so can't call them

They replied me, but they still not active my server.
    They reply very slow, 1 hours 1 reply.
    I can't imagine on the world have a bad support this service

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast