Cool Glasses for computer use?

Anyone uses a special glasses for long period of computer use?

I am going to have my eyes rechecked in a couple of days and would like to get a recommendation of a specific brand or lens types for working 10 hrs/day on computer.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Last edited by jrianto; 01-22-2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typo
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

Quote Originally Posted by jrianto View Post

I am going to have my eyes rechecked in a couple of days and would like to get a recommendation of a specific brand or lens types for working 10 hrs/day on computer.

Not really, do your eyes bother you or something? Perhaps switch off between contacts and glasses, that's what I do.

Also adequate room lighting to balance the monitors brightness.

What about Gunnars glasses, do they work?
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)

Get glasses for computer distance not reading

Eye doctors usually make reading glasses corrections for focus about 18" from your eyes. Typical distance to monitor is usually double that. Measure it yourself sitting comfortably at your desk. Ask doctor to prescribe intermediate distance (computer glasses) for you. A diopter of correction is 1 meter focal point change. So if your 20" farther from the screen than your regular reading prescription your computer glasses would have about .50 diopter less plus (add) then regular reading glasses. Anti-reflective coating good for office type lighting.

I used to wear glasses while on pc, but f.lux "fixed" that "issue".

I also use f.lux, I used to suffer terribly with glare strain and tried glasses to make things "a bit" sharper but it didn't really help with long periods of computer use, particularly if I was burning the candle on project deadlines...

I have f.lux enabled and on the same setting for day and night, it does alter colours slightly, mostly white, but I'm red/green colour blind anyway so I don't really notice what else it changes, I do know a few people who've tried it and couldn't get used to it, but for me it works wonders...
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

Thanks for the f.lux tips guys. I've installed it and the eye strain seems better now.

Still thinking of getting a Gunnar glasses, the prescription one cost $300+. Not sure if it is well worth it. The reviews seems good on YouTube and the web.

Any of you guys use Gunnar glasses before?

My only issue with Gunnars was the unlisted magnification that some of them come with. They really messed with me. Yellow lenses do help a bit, though. Since you're going perscription, if you do go with them, then that isn't a problem.

I also use f.lux and love it.

Chris Hill - Limestone Networks - Account Manager
    Cloud & Dedicated Server Hosting, Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available - 24/7/365 Support
    Resell Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - Limestone View Post
    My only issue with Gunnars was the unlisted magnification that some of them come with. They really messed with me. Yellow lenses do help a bit, though. Since you're going perscription, if you do go with them, then that isn't a problem.

I also use f.lux and love it.

Hey thanks for the feedback Chris. I really appreciate it!

Yes, the yellowness is kinda what f.lux does I suppose, reducing the blue light spectrum that get our eyes tired faster.

Quote Originally Posted by jrianto View Post

If you have no problem with your eyes don't try to make one using lens. I used to work 16h / day in a front of a computer for years in old non LCD monitors and still have no problem (always I used a monitor screen protection). On LCD monitors is not a big issue working like 10h/day. Or you can use a protection for your monitor you can check this:

http://www.nushield.com/anti_glare_technology.php

Regards
    ROWEBCA
    Server Services

I father has had Gunnar prescription glasses for about 30 days now and LOVES them. He uses them all day every day and raves about them
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    some day I will put something here
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have one of the $70-ish Gunnar gaming glasses, I have barely worn them though and had them for around a year. Makes me feel dizzy when I wear them. I have a program called "Desktop Lighter" which lets me turn the brightness down much farther than Windows allows you to (basically puts a tint over your screen) and it has helped a lot with strain on my eyes, but the program is kinda buggy sometimes.
    ExtraVM - 100Gbit+ DDoS Protected OpenVZ & KVM VPS, Minecraft, Dedicated, Web Hosting
    99.9%+ Up-time | 15 Minute Ticket Response | 24/7 U.S. Support | SSD-Only Services
    ≡ Dallas, TX | Montreal, CA | Gravelines, FR | Sydney, AU | Singapore

I dim my monitors as ridiculously dark as possible and it seems to help me use the computer for long hours.

Yes, the software dimmer works great for my eyes. I am now using f.lux and dimmer than dim for Mac OSX.

I bought gunnar glasses and they didn't help my eyes at all! Taking a 5 minute break every hour or so did

Hi, I used to work 15h / day in a front of a computer, do not wear glasses, more than 10 years working in the computer world.

Use software to enlarge the screen.

in all the pages that I navigate I press the Keys, control + +

With the windows system I can take out the magnifying glass.

Key windows key + +. ( windows 7 and 8 ) windows xp is:
    Key windows + U

I Working with 2 monitors, one without brightness and the other normal.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitoX View Post
    Hi, I used to work 15h / day in a front of a computer, do not wear glasses, more than 10 years working in the computer world.

Use software to enlarge the screen.

in all the pages that I navigate I press the Keys, control + +

With the windows system I can take out the magnifying glass.

Key windows key + +. ( windows 7 and 8 ) windows xp is:
    Key windows + U

I Working with 2 monitors, one without brightness and the other normal.
    Nice tips there! Thanks for sharing these!

One more thing: If you are actually considering Gunnar glasses, then you can often find them on clearance at Woot.com. They might be US only. Alternatively, you can sometimes find a promo code that you can plug in directly on their (Gunnar's) website.

Again, f.lux helped me more than the glasses.
    Chris Hill - Limestone Networks - Account Manager
    Cloud & Dedicated Server Hosting, Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available - 24/7/365 Support
    Resell Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555