Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

What do you think about GoDaddy Managed Wordpress hosting?

Hey

I was using GoDaddy linux hosting and I didn't really like it because of it's slowness so I moved to BlueHost and now I am thinking of going back but do you think the new GoDaddy Managed WordPress hosting is better than BlueHost and Linux hosting and what do you thinking about it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isa Al View Post
    Hey

I was using GoDaddy linux hosting and I didn't really like it because of it's slowness so I moved to BlueHost and now I am thinking of going back but do you think the new GoDaddy Managed WordPress hosting is better than BlueHost and Linux hosting and what do you thinking about it?

Thanks
    I'd stay away from companies like BlueHost. It's owned by EIG. The article linked is about HostGator but the same applies with BlueHost since they're owned by the same parent company.

GoDaddy looks like they're making a solid attempt at having good WordPress hosting. However, I haven't used them for over 5 years, and back then they were complete crap. It is clear that they are making changes, so I don't feel qualified to comment on their service levels today.

You might want to look at some other providers too. I recently ordered a BigScoots account and was thrilled with the quality of their support.

It's not really managed WP hosting. In name only. Just normal shared.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I would contact them and ask if they optimize their managed servers any differently than their shared servers, if at all. Otherwise I would start looking for a host who specializes in fast, WordPress hosting specifically.

GoDaddy Managed WordPress

@kpmedia I'm the Development Manager for GoDaddy Managed WordPress and I want to assure you that it is truly a distinct product from our shared hosting infrastructure. It is tailored to WordPress hosting from our caching layers, down to our webservers, database servers, and networked file systems along with a custom integration plugin shipped with every WordPress install on the platform.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by AcclaimedHost Alan View Post
    I'd stay away from companies like BlueHost. It's owned by EIG. The article linked is about HostGator but the same applies with BlueHost since they're owned by the same parent company.

GoDaddy looks like they're making a solid attempt at having good WordPress hosting. However, I haven't used them for over 5 years, and back then they were complete crap. It is clear that they are making changes, so I don't feel qualified to comment on their service levels today.

You might want to look at some other providers too. I recently ordered a BigScoots account and was thrilled with the quality of their support.
    Happy to have you with us Alan
    BigScoots.com - 98% of Clients Stay With Us Forever
    Offering Fully Managed Shared & Reseller Hosting
    Specializing in Managed WordPress, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    Opened 2010 & 100% Positively Reviewed Since | 100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by fgorodishter View Post
    @kpmedia I'm the Development Manager for GoDaddy Managed WordPress and I want to assure you that it is truly a distinct product from our shared hosting infrastructure. It is tailored to WordPress hosting from our caching layers, down to our webservers, database servers, and networked file systems along with a custom integration plugin shipped with every WordPress install on the platform.

What's managed about the new WordPress hosting? Will you be proactively updating WordPress & plugin installations, cleaning up hacked wordpress installations? Curious to see if this is to match what WPEngine offers at lower rates

@WireNine For sites on the Managed WordPress platform, we will be updating WordPress core, performing regular security scans, actively monitoring performance of the platform, optimizing the database tier, cache WordPress aggressively both in front end cache and object cache, and more. We also do our best to prevent dangerous and negatively impact-full plugins from making it on the platform.

If sites do get hacked we will do our best to ensure they are cleaned out.

The platform itself is also chock full of performant hardware with everything running off of SSDs for cache, database, webserver, and filesystem tiers.

We evaluated updating plugins and themes for people and received a lot of customer feedback that this would be a bad idea due to how frequently users modify the themes and plugins and updates would break those customizations.

I think it's the same darn thing as their shared hosting all they did was put a name over it and try to promote a different service that they say is different but it's the same thing as shared hosting. I would trust it after your site gets decent sized they most likely will as you to upgrade wouldn't trust it at all.

You can find a lot more better solutions on WHT and even elsewhere. You may want to check the hosting offers out and be sure to check out the companies before you sign up with one . By doing this you can eliminate any hosts that seems like they won't be reliable. Just search on WHT and good for reviews on each and every company then make a list and come up with a decision.

I would really appreciate if you compare for us the normal GD hosting to the GD WP managed hosting in terms of performance and technical improvements

and about the plugins, are we allowed to use cache up like W3 and total cache or you offer another plugins?

and in the features on the website you didn't mention how many emails, database, domains can we host and other features of the normal shared hosting

Thanks!

@WireNine For sites on the Managed WordPress platform, we will be updating WordPress core, performing regular security scans, actively monitoring performance of the platform, optimizing the database tier, cache WordPress aggressively both in front end cache and object cache, and more. We also do our best to prevent dangerous and negatively impact-full plugins from making it on the platform.
    If you're performing regular (daily or at the very least, weekly) scans that can effectively detect most hacks and mischief such as SQL injections and then provide methods for efficient removal.. then that is a shared hosting product worthy of a little extra recognition. It's also something worth paying a little more for on a monthly or annual basis. Of course, the problem is many shared hosting users probably wouldn't appreciate something like this until they were first hacked.

@WireNine For sites on the Managed WordPress platform, we will be updating WordPress core,
    Since version 3.7, WP updates itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BradAtA2Hosting View Post
    I would contact them and ask if they optimize their managed servers any differently than their shared servers, if at all. Otherwise I would start looking for a host who specializes in fast, WordPress hosting specifically.
    That is exactly what I would do. I guess we all are curious to know whats special about their wordpress hosting environment.
    || Tecsys Solutions LLC | Outperforming the Performers!! ||
    || Outsourced Server Management and Technical Support Solutions ||
    || Now Offering Secure Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers specially setup for Hosting Providers ||
    || https://www.24x7TechnicalSupport.net || https://www.mxv.net ||

What they meant by manage is "managing there hosting infrastructure"
    ⓐ➒AlphaNine
    Shared hosting | cPanel/WHM reseller | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | SSL | VoIP | Management |
    99.9% uptime | 24/7 Support | Easy Control Panels | Operating Since 2000 |

I am testing Godaddy Managed Wordpress since it got announced at WordCamp Phoenix a week ago.

I moved a WP site from a Rackspace Performance Server (1GB + nginx) to Godaddy Managed Wordpress and it is a lot faster now.

Google speed test before: 81, after the move 88. Yesterday I updated the template to a newer version and now I get 92.

It comes with a Flush Cache button. So I guess they are caching something..

However, I don't know about security yet, its just a week. I've Wordfence installed and changed the wp-login.php url to something else.

I will keep testing.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryServers View Post
    I think it's the same darn thing as their shared hosting all they did was put a name over it and try to promote a different service that they say is different but it's the same thing as shared hosting. I would trust it after your site gets decent sized they most likely will as you to upgrade wouldn't trust it at all.

You can find a lot more better solutions on WHT and even elsewhere. You may want to check the hosting offers out and be sure to check out the companies before you sign up with one . By doing this you can eliminate any hosts that seems like they won't be reliable. Just search on WHT and good for reviews on each and every company then make a list and come up with a decision.
    As Felix has pointed out our Managed Wordpress offering is 110% different from our cPanel hosting solution. I can assure you this is not just a marketing ploy for SEO or anything else.

"The platform itself is also chock full of performant hardware with everything running off of SSDs for cache, database, webserver, and filesystem tiers."

As you can see it's tailored just for Wordpress as an application. Our teams spent months working on a solution that could serve your wordpress site as fast as possible. Traditional shared hosting is tailored to work for everything, where as this solution is a platform built solely for Wordpress.

As for your mention on Better Solutions, I would challenge anyone on this forum to stand their product up against our current hosting product set
    Ben Gabler
    Chairman & CEO, Rocket.net
    Web Hosting Industry Veteran (HostNine, Hostgator, GoDaddy, StackPath)

@Isa Al The Managed WordPress product has been designed from the ground up to focus on WordPress hosting rather than optimizing for general LAMP stack.

Aside from the faster hardware and SSDs for all of the tiers, we are using Varnish for front-end caching. We have also built a system integration plugin that is installed with every WordPress install on the Managed WordPress platform that works directly with our Varnish tier as well as our APC setup on the web servers. We proactively detect situations where cache should be flushed for specific objects such as new posts, pages, comments, etc and make it seamless for most users to never have to worry about pressing the Flush Cache button.

We do limit plugins from installing that duplicate core functionality of our platform as we feel it should be up to us to optimize for that kind of performance. We also restrict those that cause either security or performance related problems.

These plans do not offer additional databases like shared hosting plans do, as this is intended to run WordPress and only WordPress and its themes and plugins. You can check out our plans that outline the number of sites you can run with each plan type.

@Isa Al The Managed WordPress product has been designed from the ground up to focus on WordPress hosting rather than optimizing for general LAMP stack.

Aside from the faster hardware and SSDs for all of the tiers, we are using Varnish for front-end caching. We have also built a system integration plugin that is installed with every WordPress install on the Managed WordPress platform that works directly with our Varnish tier as well as our APC setup on the web servers. We proactively detect situations where cache should be flushed for specific objects such as new posts, pages, comments, etc and make it seamless for most users to never have to worry about pressing the Flush Cache button.

We do limit plugins from installing that duplicate core functionality of our platform as we feel it should be up to us to optimize for that kind of performance. We also restrict those that cause either security or performance related problems.

These plans do not offer additional databases like shared hosting plans do, as this is intended to run WordPress and only WordPress and its themes and plugins. You can check out our plans that outline the number of sites you can run with each plan type.

Thanks for ur reply!

please can you provide me with a link to check the details of the plans ( hosted domains, emails, etc...) and just one more question

can I use cloudflare or it's not allowed?

Thanks

@Isa Al We do not currently bundle email with these plans but you can use GoDaddy or other providers with it if you are comfortable doing so.

All plan details are available at www.godaddy.com/hosting/wordpress-hosting.aspx

Feel free to use any CDN provider you would like. We are evaluating CDN providers ourselves for partnerships, but that is not currently being offered directly by us.

Please let me know if you have any questions I can answer.

@Isa Al We do not currently bundle email with these plans but you can use GoDaddy or other providers with it if you are comfortable doing so.

All plan details are available at www.godaddy.com/hosting/wordpress-hosting.aspx

Feel free to use any CDN provider you would like. We are evaluating CDN providers ourselves for partnerships, but that is not currently being offered directly by us.

Please let me know if you have any questions I can answer.
    Thanks for ur reply again

but I just got confused with something if you don't offer emails with this plan so how can I use mail@mydomain.com? like what is missing in the WordPress hosting compared to the linux hosting?

Managed WordPress hosting is nothing more than a marketing scam, they know it we all know it also. $6.29 a month paid a year in advance and they will allow you 25,000 visitors a month. Wow, really. How much bandwidth is actually allowed in that figure? That is something you may wish to look at.

It take little effort to maintain a WordPress site. Auto-install scripts will take the guess work out and you can install a WordPress site in 30 seconds. It takes less time to maintain your site. It is all point and click. The biggest problem for clients is the fact they are not consistent when it comes to updating their third party software. If they did they would have little or no issues.

These companies are going to tell you in their features they'll set up your data base (that can be scary for some) and they'll act like some tech is doing it for you. Not true, it's all auto-installed. The first time you might get tech to look at your WordPress install is if you need to open a support ticket.

WordPress was originally designed so the average person could publish a blog with out having to know how to code and design and as it has become the most popular website/blog out there some companies use that popularity to exploit clients with a little less knowledge. Do yourself a favor, do some research on hosting companies, find one with a good reputation for service, you'll get a better deal for hosting and you can maintain the site yourself.

This is information that you can find doing a Google search.
    "Last May, there were around 65 million websites on WordPress.com, and at least 120 million more websites using WordPress as CMS, WordPress is no doubt the most powerful and popular content management system in the world."

So you can understand with the above information why some hosting companies are trying to make money on this.

Even WordPress tells you how to maintain your site and that information is free.

http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Site_Maintenance

Managed WordPress Sites equals the biggest scam since unlimited hosting. IMHO
    WebzPro.com Hosting Solutions Since 2004
    Shared/Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated
    24/7 Support Help Desk
    - LiteSpeed Powered Servers CPanel/WHM

@Isa Al We are working to offer email with these plans but currently those are addons and not bundled with Managed WordPress. You can use any number of free email providers with your domain to get mail@mydomain.com or GoDaddy's own services.
    We will work to make that process more intuitive very soon.

@WebzPro I respect your opinion, but have to disagree that there is no difference other than marketing.

When running a general shared hosting platform there are few optimizations you can make to the actual application / software being run on the platform. Managed providers such as our new GoDaddy Managed WordPress offering focus on application specific optimizations throughout the stack to make the application run faster and more efficiently.

For example, we have added a Varnish caching layer into this product and created and designed our Varnish configuration specifically for WordPress - its core functionality, popular plugins, popular themes and optimizations we have baked into WordPress itself.

It is true that with time users can certainly update their own WordPress sites, but that is maintenance that most people don't want to worry about, and we take care of that completely. It is not as simple as letting WordPress update itself because that would leave a chance that our customer would be negatively impacted by someone elses doing and WordPress doesn't automatically update major releases - we will. We thoroughly test each update package and ensure that your site will continue running after it is applied. Anyone that has been burned by a WordPress core update will appreciate that.

Your statistics that WordPress is the most popular CMS platform in the world is accurate, and it is because of that market share that we can put a team of a dozen dedicated engineers to focus on making our WordPress hosting so performant, reliable, and easy to use. We optimize every path of a user's workflow around WordPress that shared hosting providers typically just don't think about. For example, how do hosts typically go about changing a primary domain for a WordPress site? We spent a week designing that process and getting it to work just right so customers can continue using their sites throughout the process, are not impacted by any downtime, and have their links throughout WordPress properly updated to the new domain, among other things.

I talk more about the platform and what we are working on in our Google Hangout that we held when we launched the product: https://plus.google.com/events/c7114...t2iku7dj4f6928

fgorodishter - Well thank you for respecting my opinion. I got through about 8 minutes of that video and I have to say I was surprised that your tech know can say they know where all a clients WordPress files are now that they are not all mixed up with all those other installs like Drupal, Coopermine and what ever else they mentioned. Yes I am being sarcastic.

Look the bottom line it is just a niche in the market that you are taking the most popular blog software to to make money off a certain group of people who have heard the name WordPress but have very little to no experience developing their web sites. The GoDaddy owner is brilliant when it come to marketing. Still the truth is that any one can educate themselves to to what you are basically offer them in managed WordPress. Some people need this type of service but most don't.

The WordPress Managed really what ever. But I will say as a registrar GoDaddy one of the best. Could never knock the registrar service. Love the commercials, hell they makes me want to sign up for a web site with you.
    24/7 Support Help Desk

Quote Originally Posted by WebzPro View Post

It take little effort to maintain a WordPress site. Auto-install scripts will take the guess work out and you can install a WordPress site in 30 seconds. It takes less time to maintain your site. It is all point and click. The biggest problem for clients is the fact they are not consistent when it comes to updating their third party software. If they did they would have little or no issues.
    This is exactly why WP managed hosts exist. If you had a fleet of WP sites, you would be surprised how many people ignore update notices.

It could be an email, big bold letters on the dashboard, they will still log in and ignore it for months and months on end.

Yes it's not difficult to create a secured WP environment....for someone with knowledge. The average person...turn on the computer....check outlook emails....publish a post....check facebook.....that IS their technical knowledge. Ask about anything technical and they will tell you they have no idea. You can also break-down a percentage of those people who wait until the last day to renew a domain....after getting notices 90,45,30,15 days in advance. Then wonder why they don't update anything, get exploited, blame the host, and move the exploit to another low quality host.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    This is exactly why WP managed hosts exist. If you had a fleet of WP sites, you would be surprised how many people ignore update notices.
    Surprised, hardly, we are always sweeping for out date installs and reminding customers that they need to update. It is a constant battle, suspending sites when they get exploited so we can clean them up, sending notices, cleaning them up, scanning for malware, changing passwords an on. We do have things in place that protect other clients, limit the amount of email that can be sent in an hour, huge help we can usually get a site locked down in a hour if they are getting hit with an exploit that is sending spam which makes damage control a lot easier. It 's all part of the business.
    24/7 Support Help Desk

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast