Question How much do you think is the Wordpress software worth?

This question is for professional programmers who makes software for others for a living. If you were to build a software similar to Wordpress with exactly the same features (i.e., ability to use themes, plugins, etc), how much would you charge for it?

Quote Originally Posted by mbr View Post
    This question is for professional programmers who makes software for others for a living. If you were to build a software similar to Wordpress with exactly the same features (i.e., ability to use themes, plugins, etc), how much would you charge for it?
    To determine the price you first need to tell us how it differs from wordpress. If it is "similar with exactly the same features" why would someone choose to pay, when wordpress is free?
    Michael Vinocur
    Enterprise IT Solutions
    Helix Technologies LLC
    http://www.hlxtechnologies.com

Quote Originally Posted by helix247 View Post
    To determine the price you first need to tell us how it differs from wordpress. If it is "similar with exactly the same features" why would someone choose to pay, when wordpress is free?
    This is a theoretical question, I just want to know how much WP is worth in the point of view of programmers.

:-) on elance someone posted to do MS windows like system , and china programmers replied about 70 dollars . good luck . :-)

You need : clear idea , project managers , programmers , testers , e.q. TEAM. If your idea was success , and everyone was very professional then you will get product . and you may not get it at all . best programmers vs worsest one productivity is 25:1 . Many projects fail . So your idea to count "how much hours need to do world class product" is wrong . You need to think where I can hire people which can do it at all .
    << Please review signature guidelines >>

The code itself would cost in the xxx,xxx to x,xxx,xxx USD range due to the countless code-release-feedback-code cycles, besides actual coding hours.

Or just ~identical copy of features (without the release cycles and testing by huge crowds that leads to bug fixing, security issues fixing, performance tweaking, UI ergonomy optimization etc. etc. etc. ) x,xxx to xx,xxx USD.

The Wordpress brand and ecosystem - much more.

You realize that for a more precise answer we need to write the Y hundred page specifications (that's after requirements). And even so going over budget 100-500% is about the norm in software development.

And only a newbie will sign a contract based on "i want something like wordpress".

Not sure where the question is coming from, but if this is a real project: either start with a quick, simple and paid prototype and refine requirements in cycles or invest a few months and $$$$$ in analysis and produce specifications and some code artefacts.

Because based on superficial understanding of Wordpress (even though people don't even know they don't know **** about wordpress features & internals, or any other non-trivial product they try to copy) it's not far from asking in 1900 how much would you charge me to get me to the moon. ("Safe to the moon", "and back safe" are things that people discover at some point and it only makes the project go a "few times" over budget and deadline)
    Last edited by Adrian Andreias; 01-22-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Sorry for the off topic.

There is a better cms than wodpres, joomla and drupal. Is Datalife Engine, but it is not free

One can test and see what features have

I assure that this cms has very good features.

The whole development history of wordpress and the man-hours put into designing and coding all the practices for it would far exceed the cost of creating a clone once the wordpress system is already known. But this is a hard question to answer because it would be like asking how much the cost of producing a lightbulb is. One the tech is already there making copies will be much cheaper, but the first lightbulb is always more expensive due to the countless tries in making the first one (and failing to do so).

If you take in account the whole development history of WP, it could be anywhere in the order of thousands to millions.
    (The Linux kernel is rated at the order of dozens of millions of dollars - this is the only reference I can find out of my memory but you might be able to find closer comparisons in FOSS that can give you a pointer towards the answer.)

If you develop similar software, it's worth zero. I'm completely serious here. From site builder's point of view there's immense value in the WordPress community and the fact that someone else keeps developing the system. If you'd get similar CMS from somewhere and wanted to build proprietary solution around that, you'd need dedicated programmers, etc.

However, you can sell CMS licenses of course. Wether you're successful against the likes of WordPress, OpenCMS and ECM depends much on your ability to sell and partner with other companies. I know a company that asks €xxx for their PHP-based system, and I know another selling Java-based system that goes for €xxxx. Neither price includes any site building.

The cost of building a WordPress clone from scratch would likely range somewhere between $100,000 and $1,000,000, but I would never recommend trying to clone WordPress. If you wanted to make something of value, you would want to build something that you could administer similarly to WordPress but that operated completely differently under the hood. In it's current form, WordPress really needs a good caching plugin and a good security plugin to be useful. That is because of design decisions that were made early in the project.

If you spend the money to build a clone of WordPress, it would be smart to consider changing the paradigm of how it works under the hood instead of copying the existing WordPress design. Personally, I wish WordPress was simply a management app that outputted a static site. For example, when you add a post, page, or comment, the PHP pages could write out updated HTML pages in the main area of the site. That way, the entire admin portion of the app could be in a protected sub folder (with IP and user/pass restrictions), and all of the content users could access would be completely static (which would serve fastest and use the least server resources). The app could still be a PHP app that stored everything in a MySQL DB, but the entire site that end users could view would be static. The paradigm change would offer a level of performance and security that WordPress is incapable of matching, and something like that could possibly be worth the time and cost to develop it.
    Last edited by NoSupportLinuxHostin; 01-24-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Very difficult question to answer. I'd say you're looking in the region of one year for a four-man team working full time, maybe six months if they're exceptional, everything is planned to perfection, and everything goes as expected (it won't). Four guys on a £35,000 salary (minimum for the required quality I'd say) working for a year would be £140,000.

As I hope you're understanding by now, this is an incredibly difficult thing to consider properly with so little detail. And that's just for the production costs — in terms of what it's actually worth, well how much is a watch worth?

Anything you make, want to make, or think you'll make isn't comparable to wordpress. Wordpress has slowly evolved from a piece of **** to a polished piece of ****.. The reason why it's so useful and popular is the community, plugins, designers, developers devoted to it.

There's no other platform that I can create a good looking site with the basic necessities like forms, sliders, twitter/fb api, cache and general plugins in so little time... 8 hours from downloading it to deployment.

There are other platforms that claim wordpress functionality that are between free and $350 + module costs. None of them come close to it though..

If Wordpress had the same following but was created more recently using PHP 5.3+ it would be without a doubt unbeatable in almost every regard, but preventing breaking changes and maintaining it is what causes it to be such a piece of **** (developer wise).

So to answer your question, charge whatever you want... I would never embark on a project to compete with wordpress.
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android