Changing Domain Name

Hey guys, wanted to ask your opinion if it is worth it to change our domain name from the current one SiteAutoBackup to a new domain Backup7.

Both end in dot com.

The thing is the current domain's brand is already all over the internet.

Is it wort it to change it to this new short one Backup7 which is more memorable and short?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Last edited by jrianto; 01-22-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Typos
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

2. I would go for the short and memorable one. Less typing...

Yeah I agree with the above post, short is more memorable. Do you have significant brand awareness? If not, it should be too easy. Keep both and gradually move over to the new one. Post in your older that you have changed names, then auto redirect them to your new domain.

4. Remember to stay with the old domain name, however. When I did that last time, the ranking of my new domain was the same as the old domain within just a few days.

I think you've built a reputable brand already, don't go changing the name; I recall when you and team partnered with HostGator, I'm sure others do as well.

Keep things as is :-P

If we just look at the domain names in question, I would more likely advice you to keep the current one, just because of branding and keyword values. I always try to stay off domains with hyphens or numbers, as they are pretty hard for verbal explanation. A good domain is one that is memorable, as you mentioned, and if you have to explain that "the 7 is a number, not the word" and such additional stuff, there is a high chance that the average person would find it harder to remember. With that said, its quite a good domain as its a short and relevant one, but still you would have to build a completely new brand around it and that process will always lose you visitors, no matter how well you explain the new change.

Just my couple of cents
    www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
    Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.

First off, why would you want to change domain name? what for?

If you really want to do it, then you just have to still use the old domain and redirect it to the new one. You said the old one has established a good brand and therefore people would find it easily to type the old domain. If you redirect it to the old one, you won't be having a problem.

Check out what seomoz.org did when they change the domain to moz.com. They still own the seomoz.org but it only points to the new one when you type it in the address bar. You can do the same if your brand is well established.

I'd advice to keep current name.
    ImpressHost Premium Web Hosting| USA, Franch and UK Location
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | cPanel/WHM | LiteSpeed Server | RAID 10
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - Daily Backups

Quote Originally Posted by Rado_Ch View Post
    A good domain is one that is memorable, as you mentioned, and if you have to explain that "the 7 is a number, not the word" and such additional stuff, there is a high chance that the average person would find it harder to remember.
    ^^ This.
    Any domain that's a mix of numbers and letters is going to take a lot of work to tell people it's the number (sort of like names with hyphens; constant explanation) and not "seven". If making the switch, I'd strongly suggest registering the spelled out version also and point it to the numeric one.

The original name also has helpful keywords in it, and is probably the better of the two.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by jrianto View Post
    Hey guys, wanted to ask your opinion if it is worth it to change our domain name from the current one SiteAutoBackup to a new domain Backup7.

Both end in dot com.

The thing is the current domain's brand is already all over the internet.

Is it wort it to change it to this new short one Backup7 which is more memorable and short?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Since 97 I've went through a couple of domain name changes... most of the time they were not worth it. Just the other day someone emailed on my old email (I keep them forwarded) and that site changed maybe 7 years ago.

Site auto backup is easy to remember, even if I can't say I like the name (sorry, no disrespect meant). Backup7 is easy as well, but can't say it connects me with your product. Which is better?

I've always argued the name does not matter much, long as your product is great. Who in the hell would call their product a google?
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

i would change it to the short one