Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Iowa, U.S.
    Posts
    162

    Any Experience with Colo@?

    I'm looking at going with these guys for a Dedi, VPS, and Web Hosting business I'm going to be looking into starting late this year or early next year.

    I was wondering if anybody has experience with using their services before.

    I'm looking for factors like uptime, reliability, support/response times, and of course, good network connectivity.

    I look forward to your reply.

    I'm fully aware topics like this have been posted before with a similar format and even title, but a lot can change in a year.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tega Cay
    Posts
    763
    I have been using them for colo since Sept 2011 and have not experienced any downtime or network issues that I am aware of. I've heard nothing but good things about their support but as of yet have not needed any. Network has always been fast for me and my customers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    237
    I was with them for a while. Support was kind of slow at times, but the network and stability was good. I'd do it again.
    Warpline Hosting: LiteSpeed Powered SSD Web Hosting, Reseller hosting, VPS Hosting
    Bitcoin, PerfectMoney, Payza, and PayPal accepted.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Iowa, U.S.
    Posts
    162
    I certainly appreciate the insight, guys. Glad to hear all has been good.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,856
    Quote Originally Posted by OSTKCabal View Post
    I'm looking at going with these guys for a Dedi, VPS, and Web Hosting business I'm going to be looking into starting late this year or early next year.

    I was wondering if anybody has experience with using their services before.

    I'm looking for factors like uptime, reliability, support/response times, and of course, good network connectivity.

    I look forward to your reply.

    I'm fully aware topics like this have been posted before with a similar format and even title, but a lot can change in a year.
    We have a couple of cabinets in their main Atlanta location that has been solid. Ryan and Emerson are good guys. Watch out for Gary though
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

    www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,245
    We have a couple of racks as well. Solid network and a good overall value.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    Watch out for Gary though
    Oh Buuuuurn.
    ThePrimeHost LLC - Serving Websites Since 2001.
    Fully Managed VPS Hosting w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Reseller Hosting with End User Support

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    688
    What Colo@ location are you looking at?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Iowa, U.S.
    Posts
    162
    Clifton or Atlanta; Chicago; and Los Angeles or Phoenix.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,856
    Quote Originally Posted by OSTKCabal View Post
    Clifton or Atlanta; Chicago; and Los Angeles or Phoenix.
    What services?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

    www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,299
    I've used Colo@ in the past. Great group. 1 network issue, and 1 power issue over a period of 3 years in their Atlanta location. Support was always fast, without any issue.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Iowa, U.S.
    Posts
    162
    Not to bump per se, but anybody ekse?

    Also, a huge thanks to all of you who have already responded. You have been instrumental in our decision-making process, and between our own research as well as your reviews here, they sound more than good enough for our needs.

    I'm especially looking at their Chicago location, the reason being that it's powered by Steadfast, which has become a personal favorite over the past ~14 months being on multiple dedicated servers with a provider that operates out of their 725 S. Wells facility.

    Thanks again, everybody!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by OSTKCabal View Post
    Not to bump per se, but anybody ekse?

    Also, a huge thanks to all of you who have already responded. You have been instrumental in our decision-making process, and between our own research as well as your reviews here, they sound more than good enough for our needs.

    I'm especially looking at their Chicago location, the reason being that it's powered by Steadfast, which has become a personal favorite over the past ~14 months being on multiple dedicated servers with a provider that operates out of their 725 S. Wells facility.

    Thanks again, everybody!
    We started off with a half rack in LA back in 2011. Flew out to get our install done and we were met with a very hostile environment from the moment we walked through the door. To begin, the location was simply a colocation facility which Colo@ was colocating from. So we were a colo customer of a colo customer. Tried to call the main phone number, no answer through the sales extension. Dialed their “Technical Support” line and voila, we get a prerecorded “We only provide support through ticketing” message. Sent a ticket, Gary called us back, and we finally gained access to the data center after a good hour of sitting in the lobby. What can we say about the data center? Well… there was a massive heap of garbage sitting right in the middle of the data center. Random things such as hair clippers, and a dog chew toy were in this pile of odd objects.

    Anyhow, after about a month, Colo@ finally moved us out of that data center along with their other two racks to a private suite over at Quadranet. No credits for a complete move and downtime. Also, we had to fly out once again to get things back up. After about a year with them, we did move out. We had our port shut down several times due to what they had said were attacks from our servers in the 800meg range, even though we were paying for a burstable gig port. We had agreed to turn down the ports to a flat 100megs over the last two months of service. With that said, they did try to overcharge us on bandwidth in the last month even though we were capped at the 100megs.

    The folks over at Quadranet were actually some of the brightest and most helpful we’ve come across. We’ve done business with them afterwards and are a pleasure to work with.

    We also had a full rack with Colo@ in Dallas over at GIP Networks. We have no complaints about GIP. They too were very helpful. Their data center is very clean, the staff is top notch.

    In our case, Colo@’s support and for the most part, their customer service was disappointing. We constantly came in contact with Gary for all our issues even though there are multiple business partners in the company.

    If you can afford the higher commit, go directly with Steadfast. It’ll be a horrible mess when you’re two months into a year's contract and you get an experience like ours.
    DirectSpace Networks, LLC
    Virtual Private Servers [OpenVZ & KVM], Colocation, and Dedicated Servers
    Offering premium & scalable datacenter services for over 11 years

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    237
    I would personally go with Swiftway if you're looking for Chicago and Steadfast. I am fairly certain they're in the same datacenter and it's always been more than peaceful with them. Support is great, network is great, billing/sales are great, I've never had a single Swiftway experience. Either that or - yes, go with Steadfast directly. I've also had direct experience with them and they are another top notch provider IMO.
    Warpline Hosting: LiteSpeed Powered SSD Web Hosting, Reseller hosting, VPS Hosting
    Bitcoin, PerfectMoney, Payza, and PayPal accepted.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Iowa, U.S.
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by directspace View Post
    We started off with a half rack in LA back in 2011. Flew out to get our install done and we were met with a very hostile environment from the moment we walked through the door. To begin, the location was simply a colocation facility which Colo@ was colocating from. So we were a colo customer of a colo customer. Tried to call the main phone number, no answer through the sales extension. Dialed their “Technical Support” line and voila, we get a prerecorded “We only provide support through ticketing” message. Sent a ticket, Gary called us back, and we finally gained access to the data center after a good hour of sitting in the lobby. What can we say about the data center? Well… there was a massive heap of garbage sitting right in the middle of the data center. Random things such as hair clippers, and a dog chew toy were in this pile of odd objects.

    Anyhow, after about a month, Colo@ finally moved us out of that data center along with their other two racks to a private suite over at Quadranet. No credits for a complete move and downtime. Also, we had to fly out once again to get things back up. After about a year with them, we did move out. We had our port shut down several times due to what they had said were attacks from our servers in the 800meg range, even though we were paying for a burstable gig port. We had agreed to turn down the ports to a flat 100megs over the last two months of service. With that said, they did try to overcharge us on bandwidth in the last month even though we were capped at the 100megs.

    The folks over at Quadranet were actually some of the brightest and most helpful we’ve come across. We’ve done business with them afterwards and are a pleasure to work with.

    We also had a full rack with Colo@ in Dallas over at GIP Networks. We have no complaints about GIP. They too were very helpful. Their data center is very clean, the staff is top notch.

    In our case, Colo@’s support and for the most part, their customer service was disappointing. We constantly came in contact with Gary for all our issues even though there are multiple business partners in the company.

    If you can afford the higher commit, go directly with Steadfast. It’ll be a horrible mess when you’re two months into a year's contract and you get an experience like ours.
    If it's fair for me to say, not every company can be perfect for everybody. I do, however, appreciate your input!

    Quote Originally Posted by IQ-Breck View Post
    I would personally go with Swiftway if you're looking for Chicago and Steadfast. I am fairly certain they're in the same datacenter and it's always been more than peaceful with them. Support is great, network is great, billing/sales are great, I've never had a single Swiftway experience. Either that or - yes, go with Steadfast directly. I've also had direct experience with them and they are another top notch provider IMO.
    I agree, Steadfast is a great provider. I've been with multiple companies that colocate out of their 725 S. Wells facility over the past 12 months. However, Steadfast's quote for us was in the higher range of what we could afford for our planned hosting offerings.
    Last edited by OSTKCabal; 01-31-2014 at 08:23 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    688
    They have a new facility opening up in Dallas with a decent promo going on for it that I've been looking at signing up for. Id be interested in hearing more reviews/thoughts on Colo@ before pulling the trigger.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by IQ-Breck View Post
    I would personally go with Swiftway if you're looking for Chicago and Steadfast. I am fairly certain they're in the same datacenter and it's always been more than peaceful with them. Support is great, network is great, billing/sales are great, I've never had a single Swiftway experience. Either that or - yes, go with Steadfast directly. I've also had direct experience with them and they are another top notch provider IMO.
    +1 for this. We're currently hosting with Swiftway in NL and are starting up space in Chicago as well.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Iowa, U.S.
    Posts
    162
    I'm going to be ordering a dedicated server or two with Swiftway to get a feel for their network and services.

    So far, they've seemed very fair to me. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by OSTKCabal View Post
    I'm going to be ordering a dedicated server or two with Swiftway to get a feel for their network and services.

    So far, they've seemed very fair to me. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
    Good choice! Their support has been amazing, VERY quick and knowledgeable. Networking was also very fast to get a hold of when we needed them, on several occasions.

    Sales was superb, we worked with Raymond. Very fast responses and again, he knew what he was talking about and was friendly.

    Their network has also been great, they do have a good premium mix.

Similar Threads

  1. Experience with Colo@?
    By HostSentry in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 10:25 AM
  2. Experience with Colo@?
    By OcityHosting in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM
  3. Colo-UK: what's your experience?
    By artan in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2009, 07:33 AM
  4. Anyone have experience with co-op-colo.com?
    By mattr0 in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 06:41 PM
  5. United Colo experience.
    By MicroFX in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-13-2002, 10:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •