Choose the right RAM and vCPU

Hello,
    My project is a mobile application which just communicates through PHP scripts that I made. So my usage would be very very simple: a few disk space (let's say 20Gbs) and the ability to create many MySQL database. I don't really need anything else.

Stated this, theese are the statistics on my current shared hosting (daily average):
    Visits: 4,500
    Pages seen: 250k-300k
    Accesses: 300k-400k
    Bandwidht: 1,5 Gbs

I already know a trusted company in my country, but with this traffic, how should I choose the amouth of RAM and vCPU?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonPWR View Post
    Hello,
    My project is a mobile application which just communicates through PHP scripts that I made. So my usage would be very very simple: a few disk space (let's say 20Gbs) and the ability to create many MySQL database. I don't really need anything else.

Stated this, theese are the statistics on my current shared hosting (daily average):
    Visits: 4,500
    Pages seen: 250k-300k
    Accesses: 300k-400k
    Bandwidht: 1,5 Gbs

I already know a trusted company in my country, but with this traffic, how should I choose the amouth of RAM and vCPU?
    You're using all of that bandwidth? That's a lot of bandwidth, especially for such a small app.

Is this for a dedicated server? vCPU is a term used with cloud/VPS offerings. No one here can tell you how much RAM/cores you're going to need, because we don't know anything about what you're running. If you're on shared hosting and they're not complaining, 512 - 1024MB of RAM should be fine, however, that's only a guess. Wait, you're using 1.5 Gbps on shared hosting or is that just what you'll have access to? If this is a VPS, 1.5 Gbps is going to be shared, not guaranteed. FYI.
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support • Enterprise Grade Hardware • Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven F View Post
    You're using all of that bandwidth? That's a lot of bandwidth, especially for such a small app.

Is this for a dedicated server? vCPU is a term used with cloud/VPS offerings. No one here can tell you how much RAM/cores you're going to need, because we don't know anything about what you're running. If you're on shared hosting and they're not complaining, 512 - 1024MB of RAM should be fine, however, that's only a guess. Wait, you're using 1.5 Gbps on shared hosting or is that just what you'll have access to? If this is a VPS, 1.5 Gbps is going to be shared, not guaranteed. FYI.
    Well, that's not so small...Recently it got featured many times on the store and there are more than 1000 users active everyday.

I'm currently on a shared hosting which does not limit traffic (there are few customers so it's not overselling) and I had no problem with 2Gb/day.

Well, that's not so small...Recently it got featured many times on the store and there are more than 1000 users active everyday.

I'm currently on a shared hosting which does not limit traffic (there are few customers so it's not overselling) and I had no problem with 2Gb/day.
    2 GB of bandwidth a day, you mean? Oh, I thought you were getting 1.5 Gbps. Ha, my bad. 2 GB of bandwidth is nothing.

Is this for a VPS or a dedi.?
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support • Enterprise Grade Hardware • Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

2 GB of bandwidth a day, you mean? Oh, I thought you were getting 1.5 Gbps. Ha, my bad. 2 GB of bandwidth is nothing.

Is this for a VPS or a dedi.?
    Sure, is nothing: the most part of data is pure serialized text.
    This is for a dedicated, but if you think a VPS would fit, let me know

Sure, is nothing: the most part of data is pure serialized text.
    This is for a dedicated, but if you think a VPS would fit, let me know
    VPS would fit, which also permits scalability.
    256MB of RAM would suffice for your requirements (which is very low, by the way), provided you run nginx. 1 core of 1+Ghz would suffice.

You can easily get the above specs for very, very cheap (think anywhere from $15/yr to $5/mo) if you learn how to manage it yourself.
    I'd recommend checking http://lowendbox.com.

If, on the other hand, you have no interest in managing your own server, managed options will cost you a lot more but save your time. Refer to the VPS Hosting Offers for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj5j View Post
    VPS would fit, which also permits scalability.
    256MB of RAM would suffice for your requirements (which is very low, by the way), provided you run nginx. 1 core of 1+Ghz would suffice.

You can easily get the above specs for very, very cheap (think anywhere from $15/yr to $5/mo) if you learn how to manage it yourself.
    I'd recommend checking.

If, on the other hand, you have no interest in managing your own server, managed options will cost you a lot more but save your time. Refer to the VPS Hosting Offers for more information.
    My budget is about 400€/year, so I want a reliable hosting, not a low-cost. 1Gb of RAm should be enough?

My budget is about 400€/year, so I want a reliable hosting, not a low-cost. 1Gb of RAm should be enough?
    Yep. As I said, given a healthy budget (and yours' certainly is), you can opt to go managed for a better hosting experience - your provider will assist on request.

With a budget of 33.3€/mo or 45 USD/mo, check out these providers I've seen to get great reviews:
    - WiredTree
    - KnownHost
    - LiquidWeb
    - ServInt
    - Future Hosting

I'd recommend searching over at the VPS section for reviews.
    You might not want to sign up for the most expensive plan from the start. Part of the point of VPSes is the ease of upgrading from one plan to another: it's mostly instant with no effort required. Start conservatively and upgrade as required.

Yep. As I said, given a healthy budget (and yours' certainly is), you can opt to go managed for a better hosting experience - your provider will assist on request.

With a budget of 33.3€/mo or 45 USD/mo, check out these providers I've seen to get great reviews:
    - WiredTree
    - KnownHost
    - LiquidWeb
    - ServInt
    - Future Hosting

I'd recommend searching over at the VPS section for reviews.
    You might not want to sign up for the most expensive plan from the start. Part of the point of VPSes is the ease of upgrading from one plan to another: it's mostly instant with no effort required. Start conservatively and upgrade as required.
    Believe me or not, I found thoose site in the meantime...the most interesting is Future Hosting since prices are on sale forma lifetime. I'm going to look forma some reviews

Pretty sure he meant 1.5 Gb's. Not 1.5Gbps

Edit: Whoops, you already took notice to that mistake. Missed that post somehow.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

My budget is about 400€/year, so I want a reliable hosting
    Are you able (skill-wise) to manage a server, as well as have the time to do so ? If not, your budget is way too low to get a decent managed service, think closer to 135/month than 35/month

1Gb of RAM should be enough?
    Probably not, but to confirm...
    Fire up XAMP on your local machine and simulate an average day and measure/monitor what you need for apache, mysql, php, s, etc.
    Much better than having uniformed forum users guessing for you
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by astutiumRob View Post
    Are you able (skill-wise) to manage a server, as well as have the time to do so ? If not, your budget is way too low to get a decent managed service, think closer to 135/month than 35/month

Probably not, but to confirm...
    Fire up XAMP on your local machine and simulate an average day and measure/monitor what you need for apache, mysql, php, s, etc.
    Much better than having uniformed forum users guessing for you
    Future hosting offers for 33€/month a managed Virtual server. I don't know the difference between a good managed and a bad one. I just need them to set it up, ecentually keep updated, repair hardware failures.

Future hosting offers for 33€/month a managed Virtual server. I don't know the difference between a good managed and a bad one. I just need them to set it up, ecentually keep updated, repair hardware failures.
    Not to worry, astutiumRob didn't read the thread fully and didn't notice you were open to the idea of VPSes. 35/mo is certainly not sufficient for a non-budget dedicated server, less so a managed one. However, for VPSes, it's enough.

To address your management concerns:
    - "Repair hardware failures" - even unmanaged does this, so you're safe there.
    - "Keep updated" - most managed services will do updates, but read if this is on your request or done proactively on their part, and if so, how often.
    - "Set up" - read this part the most carefully. Managed will definitely setup and secure your server, but they may or may not include migration, and may only offer installation support for a limited number of software.

Since you still use shared hosting now, I would suggest you 1 GB ram vps and upgrade it when you need. Tmzvps n known host is come on my mind if u want to use managed hosting provider

Not to worry, astutiumRob didn't read the thread fully and didn't notice you were open to the idea of VPSes. 35/mo is certainly not sufficient for a non-budget dedicated server, less so a managed one. However, for VPSes, it's enough.

To address your management concerns:
    - "Repair hardware failures" - even unmanaged does this, so you're safe there.
    - "Keep updated" - most managed services will do updates, but read if this is on your request or done proactively on their part, and if so, how often.
    - "Set up" - read this part the most carefully. Managed will definitely setup and secure your server, but they may or may not include migration, and may only offer installation support for a limited number of software.
    Thank you for the explanation, but I want to know one more thing:
    Buying an unmanaged vps with offers for free the initial setup and includes a cPanel license...what should I do then? For my use, I just need cPanel, phpMyAdmin and nothing else. What should I "manage" in the future?

I'm talking about Hetzner VQ19, that a freind told me they are very professional since it hosts his server company.

Thank you for the explanation, but I want to know one more thing:
    Buying an unmanaged vps with offers for free the initial setup and includes a cPanel license...what should I do then? For my use, I just need cPanel, phpMyAdmin and nothing else. What should I "manage" in the future?

I'm talking about Hetzner VQ19, that a freind told me they are very professional since it hosts his server company.
    A variety of things actually, too many to count so I'd just highlight some commonly encountered ones:

1.) Apache, MySQL or something is becoming more sluggish. Be it because of log-buildup, poor optimization, etc. these are issues managed providers can resolve for you.
    2.) Updates, especially security. It's not uncommon for a new security exploit to have a fix within hours, but this fix is not propogated via the distro/cPanel later. It may be a patch you need to apply and compile. Managed hosts with proactive updates can do this for you.
    3.) Misc software that needs to be setup/fixed.

We like to think of linux boxes as configure-once, run-forever. That's not always the case, and problems may surface from time to time. So you should consider: is it okay for your site's performance to suffer/be down while you google or read manuals for solutions, or do you want to pay someone to fix it for you 24/7? That, I guess, is the value in management.

A variety of things actually, too many to count so I'd just highlight some commonly encountered ones:

1.) Apache, MySQL or something is becoming more sluggish. Be it because of log-buildup, poor optimization, etc. these are issues managed providers can resolve for you.
    2.) Updates, especially security. It's not uncommon for a new security exploit to have a fix within hours, but this fix is not propogated via the distro/cPanel later. It may be a patch you need to apply and compile. Managed hosts with proactive updates can do this for you.
    3.) Misc software that needs to be setup/fixed.

We like to think of linux boxes as configure-once, run-forever. That's not always the case, and problems may surface from time to time. So you should consider: is it okay for your site's performance to suffer/be down while you google or read manuals for solutions, or do you want to pay someone to fix it for you 24/7? That, I guess, is the value in management.
    I agree that a managed one would be fair for me.
    Reading from Future Hosting website:
    Future Engineer™ Standard is our reactive managed services option. Future Hosting offers management with Future Engineer on any server with a control panel (i.e. Plesk or cPanel.) With our basic managed services you have the ability to contact support 24/7 and we will offer assistance with anything installed on the server upon delivery. That includes PHP, MySQL, Apache, e-mail servers, etc. Without a managed services package, support is available 24/7 for network and hardware issues only. With this managed package, contact us when you need an update or have an issue and we will be happy to assist you.
    This includes point 1) and 2), isn't it?