Thread: Cluster DNS

Cluster DNS

Hi. If I bought a VPS for selling web hosting. Could I then buy 2-4 cheap VPS to setup DNS cluster?
    And would I be able to add multiple server into one cluster?

Letīs say i one day have 10 servers.
    Could I then use ns1 - ns4 on all of those servers? Instead of each for every server?
    And how does cPanel fix everything when an account is added?

And how hard is it to setup and maintenance later on?

Yes you can setup DNS cluster on separate vps servers.

Cpanel DNS - Free DNS Server Software + Cluster http://cpanel.net/cpanel-whm/the-cpa...tion/dns-only/

WHM/Server Config/Basic Cpanel & WHM Setup/ towards the bottom are your nameservers. Just update those to reflect NS1-NS4

CPanel will do everything as long as you have clustering setup. The link above has the documentation.

It requires no maintenance for the DNS part; You still have to do your normal security stuff as if it was your primary server.

I dont know if I would go as high as 10 different servers using the same same nameservers , maybe 5 servers to 2 nameservers?
    Michael Vinocur
    Enterprise IT Solutions
    Helix Technologies LLC
    http://www.hlxtechnologies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Saetrevik View Post
    Hi. If I bought a VPS for selling web hosting. Could I then buy 2-4 cheap VPS to setup DNS cluster?
    And would I be able to add multiple server into one cluster?

Letīs say i one day have 10 servers.
    Could I then use ns1 - ns4 on all of those servers? Instead of each for every server?
    And how does cPanel fix everything when an account is added?

And how hard is it to setup and maintenance later on?
    You can use Cpanel DNS only installation for cluster DNS setup which is free from cpanel. To enable clustering, login to whm
    Home >> Cluster/Remote Access >> Configure Cluster

Enable it and configure. While configuring it, it will ask remote server details and hash key. Once it is enabled, DNS role for the cluster should be set as synchronise changes, then only new account that is created in the cluster would be updated into other servers in the cluster. It is not that much hard to configure it. Will take maximum of 45 minutes to enabled it in all your 4 servers. There are cpanel docs which shows complete configurations.

The cpanel documentation is less than perfect. However, yes, to answer your question... you can get a few cheap VPS and install free cpanel DNS-Only version onto them, and then set things up so that you will have:

ns1.yourdomain.com
    ns2.yourdomain.com
    ns3.yourdomain.com
    ns4.yourdomain.com

Then you can use those nameservers for all your domains, regardless of what cpanel server they are located on.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

we have found that having the cPanel server + 3 other VPS servers works nicely.
    Of course it scales differently depending on how many cPanel servers you have, and where they are located.

Please it makes sense to have a nameserver per DNS server, i.e. no point in having ns1-ns4 if you only have 2 x Cpanel DNS Only servers.
    OSHS Ltd
    OSHS Services - DNS Clusters | R1Soft Licenses | Remote Backup Storage | R1Soft CDP Storage | Cheap Dedicated Servers
    EconDC.com - Enterprise UK Server Colo & Rack Space at Lowest Prices