Thumbs up possible upgrade? need opinions

Hey all Currently I am running a web server with these settings and I was curious if its worth doing the upgrade I would be losing on some CPU speed BUT I would gain 2x more ram would it worth the trade off of losing a little bit of CPU speed? I am thinking of the future and not having to upgrade as quickly

Also my site relies more so on updating/editing a MySQL database

Thanks!

Current Specs:
    CPU: Intel E3-1230V2Core(s)4 Speed: 3.3GHz
    RAM: 8GB

I am possible to grade to these settings

Upgrade Specs:
    Intel® Quad-Core 2 x E5506 2.13GHz
    RAM 24GB DDR3

Why not just contact your current provider and see whether they allow you to upgrade the 8GB RAM in the future?

MySQL would probably benefit from the better CPU.
    Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Web Hosting
    Cloud VPS Servers | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups | One Click Apps | Custom ISOs
    clouveo.com | Locations: [UK] London, [NL] Amsterdam, [US] Los Angeles

I think it is difficult to say whether that is a worth "upgrading" it really depends on your current system resource usage.

I think if you are utilising your 8GB of RAM and you need to increase then as Criot said speak to your provider see if they can upgrade this. I think upgrading for the sake of upgrading is a little pointless and I think it is a bit of a side step rather than an upgrade.

Is your system bottlenecking anywhere at the minute if so where and if not where do you predict you will need to invest in the near future?

I am hoping that I will have to upgrade because my site gets a huge amount of traffic every day!

Quote Originally Posted by ufhosting_Leon View Post
    I think it is difficult to say whether that is a worth "upgrading" it really depends on your current system resource usage.

I think if you are utilising your 8GB of RAM and you need to increase then as Criot said speak to your provider see if they can upgrade this. I think upgrading for the sake of upgrading is a little pointless and I think it is a bit of a side step rather than an upgrade.

Is your system bottlenecking anywhere at the minute if so where and if not where do you predict you will need to invest in the near future?

Not just ram but you need to consider the IO too especially since you will do update in mysql constantly.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Currently I have ~13,610,488 rows from 41 tables and it is increasing daily

Quote Originally Posted by icedpikachu View Post
    Currently I have ~13,610,488 rows from 41 tables and it is increasing daily
    If your site is mainly MySQL based it would benefit from the better processor. You should contact your current provider to see if they will allow an increase in RAM.
    Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Web Hosting
    Cloud VPS Servers | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups | One Click Apps | Custom ISOs
    clouveo.com | Locations: [UK] London, [NL] Amsterdam, [US] Los Angeles

You didn't answer where your system is bottlenecking. My guess is as @net said you are going to be looking at Disk IO performance issues at some point. I'd be interested to see what your iostat looks like.

Just so you know, you're not losing just "little bit" CPU speed. The dual E5506 is about 60% slower than the E3 by passmark. Not the best kind of benchmark for real life scenario, but you can somehow get the idea how much behind that 2009 CPU is.

Find a way to keep your CPU's horsepower, and get more ram and I/O.

Hello
    Maybe you can give us some graphes of CPU usage from Munin or something like this ? The same for IO usage / memory usage ?

Olivier

If your website is SQL intensive, more RAM + SSD for your DB may solve your problem. Also you may consider to move your DB on a separate server.
    Alnitech.com - dedicated servers for your business
    Dedicated Servers , Disaster Recovery, IaaS, BGP Announcement & More.
    ✓ 24x7 h/w Support & Server Monitoring
    ✓ 21-day Money-back Guarantee

Heavy database transactions? Consider improving IO before CPU and memory. Get a solid state in there -- Crucial M500s have worked great for us.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com