Thread: Velia problems

Velia problems

I'm so sorry about starting a discussion about that. But this is what I've been through:

We're using dedicated servers from Velia since 2010. We have 5 dedicated servers right now. We're using these servers for shared hosting as a web hosting company (we also have 30+ dedicated servers that belongs to us in our virtual datacenter in Turkey).

We installed our own operating systems and control panels. Never asked for support except hardware issues(or upgrades). We've been using their services happily for years(because we never needed support). But few months ago, problems started.

First of all, there was a disk failure on one of the servers. It took almost 24 hours to replace it(they didn't move any data or something, just a hardware change). By the way, our customers are killing us because this is a serious downtime. After that, we received a ddos attack on one of the servers. There are 29 IP addresses on the server and all we can see is a network graph of the vlan(not per IP address). Network is complately inaccessible because attack is bigger than 100Mbit and they don't tell me which IP address is under attack(their original claim is that any of our ip addresses might be under attack and they can't see it). And as you might guess, they don't nullroute IP addresses(they say they don't do it). I was very lucky about finding and removing ip address from server that is under attack, there was only a reseller account on the IP. Their only help on this problem, they told me to run netstat to find out which ip is under attack. Thank you very much!

Few weeks after that, another server received ddos attack. There were hundreds of websites on the ip that is receiving ddos so i was not that lucky this time(i had to figure out which ip is under attack again by removing ip addresses from server using IPMI). I asked them to nullroute ip address so i can work on finding out which website is under attack, the answer was negative again. So I had to buy 1gbit bandwidth from them instead of 100mbit (average bandwidth is 20mbit on the server except ddos attacks). Ddos attack was around 500-600mbit so I was able to make server work with software firewall. As I've paid extra price for 1gbit network, also they charged me over €50 for traffic overusage. Yes, I had to pay for ddos traffic which a simple nullroute could prevent(also waited for working hours to upgrade bandwidth).

Right now, while I'm writing this, another server is under ddos attack(third server, different servers each time!). But this time, IPMI is not accessible. I don't know whats wrong about it but I can't even ping IPMI. Of course, they still don't nullroute IP or tell me which IP is under attack. They don't do anything to fix IPMI(tried emailing many times). I called them via telephone, someone answered(thanks, he was able to speak English) and told me that there is no one at the datacenter and he can't help me about IPMI. He said he could record our phone conversion and give recording to support team at working hours. So I asked him a simple question, "you can't nullroute IP addresses, you can't tell me which IP is under attack and you can't fix IPMI problem, what do you do there?" That was my question. He started yelling at me, telling that it is 1:30 AM and they don't do any work at nights. I had to end conversation because he was yelling. I was very polite, they can listen the conversation recording if they want to.

So the situation is right now, I can't access my server. They don't do anything to help, they yell at their customers. By the way, as I've stated, we're working with them since 2010 and we never received ddos attacks except these 3 times on 3 different web hosting servers. We don't provide ddos protected web hosting or something, whenever a website gets ddos attack, we close clients account.

Ah, also they have stated that they can prevent ddos attacks for €500/month. We provide it here in Turkey for 17€/month per IP address. Of course, that made me think about that they are doing this on purpose so they can sell bandwidth or firewall service. Not nullrouting IP address doesn't mean anything to me, even the smallest datacenters is Turkey(with 100-200 servers total) nullroute IP address on demand.

So if you are working with Velia or you are considering to work with Velia, please consider these problems. Now I truly believe that their only goal is to get your money with extremely expensive services. Not nullrouting IP address is a part of that.

Thank you for reading this. Also I'm sorry for my bad English. I hope it is understandable.
      0 Not allowed!

We provide it here in Turkey for 17€/month per IP address.
    Yea, and Radore goes down at 5Gbit, TTNet tanks 20 in Istanbul and then Antalya is offline. Take down the TTNet pop in Van(?) with 5G and half of Iran is offline.

That amounts are nothing for EU/US protection providers.
    DDos Protection != DDoS Protection, and pricing varies. You don't even state any specifications (Mbit/PPS).

However, yes, the practice of Velia not nulling IPs is known and annoying, should be easy in 2014 to do.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLie View Post
    Yea, and Radore goes down at 5Gbit, TTNet tanks 20 in Istanbul and then Antalya is offline. Take down the TTNet pop in Van(?) with 5G and half of Iran is offline.

That amounts are nothing for EU/US protection providers.
    DDos Protection != DDoS Protection, and pricing varies. You don't even state any specifications (Mbit/PPS).

However, yes, the practice of Velia not nulling IPs is known and annoying, should be easy in 2014 to do.
    Thank you for your comment. We're not talking about very big attacks here, last one was consuming 500Mbit bandwidth. I know this one is also not very big, because we've been struggling with it all day and it was only consumint 50Mbit bandwidth. I'm sure it is just over 100MBit which is bigger than our bandwidth.

A very simple IP nullroute will solve problem. Even if thats not possible, fixing our IPMI will solve the problem. But right now, they do nothing to help. I'm waiting attack to stop helplessly. No control interface I can do something.

I know you underestimate Turkey internet connection and you're right about it, but we would never be in that position if one of our servers in Turkey received a ddos attack. At least, whole server wouldn't be inaccessible. So lets say that Velia has the biggest Bandwidth in Europe, even that doesn't matter. We're helpless because of them.

I'm pretty sure if one of their biggest references(Wooga maybe) was in our position, they would solve the problem very quickly and they would never yell at the telephone. Even if I want to buy firewall service, I have to wait until working hours right now. Most datacenters in Turkey cannot compete with Velia about Bandwidth, but no one can dare to do same thing to a customer. If there is a problem, it must be solved, or someone else will solve it and datacenter will lose customer. Surely, Velia seems not to care but we started migrating our other servers and we'll cancel all of our services at Velia. They have no right to thread this way to a customer.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry to hear about your services with velia really does look and sound like they try to make any type of penny of their clients.

As for that person why you spoke to at 1:30 am he was wrong and if he so happen did start screaming then this is bad practice and he makes the company look very immature.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks to Benjamin from Velia, he was very polite and explained every problem in this topic. I believe they are trying to helpful, but I still believe that they have to change ip nullroute policy. Thanks.
      0 Not allowed!

you should find a provider with DDoS protection
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bartuc View Post
    Thanks to Benjamin from Velia, he was very polite and explained every problem in this topic. I believe they are trying to helpful, but I still believe that they have to change ip nullroute policy. Thanks.

Closed by request.
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!