Domain Extensions

Hi,

I am looking to go live with a new website fairly soon. I already have the .com and .co.uk extensions, but I wanted to snap up some other extensions before go live.

The site will be initially focussed on the UK, but I plan to target other countries after launch. Is it worth getting the appropriate domain extensions for the countries I will expand to?

If the site went global, for example, could I just run it from .com?

Also, is there an easy way to register all domain extensions?
    What is the cheapest way?

Thank you.

If you can afford it, it would be nice to buy the most common extensions - .ru, .de, etc. You can always redirect them all to .com later on. It depends how much you would like to invest I guess.

Thanks GreenHornet.

Is there a list of the most common extensions and how much investment would be needed?

Just go to any big registrar and select all the TLDs (dynadot or moniker should do this quite well) they have available, then you should be able to see individual prices.

5. It is a good idea to buy the other extensions as well as they allow your business to grow into these markets. Also, competitors cannot simply register domain names "around you" and catch your customers. If you choose the cheapest registry, it is not going to be too expensive als. For example: The .de domain can be less than $ 4.00 if you compare prices.

Thank you.

I've looked into the other extensions, but some are very, very expensive (over £100??).
    Also, I am finding it difficult to find one supplier who can register the majority the extensions from one place. Does anyone have any suggestions?

There are plenty of suppliers that offer a large selection of ccTLDs. Just to throw in a few names (the first few that come to mind, in alphabetical order)

101domain
    1API
    BB Online
    Blacknight
    Eurodns
    Gandi
    Marcaria
    MTGSY

There are plenty more - but some are considerably more expensive than others because they target large corporations (and I deliberately haven't included the expensive ones)

Quote Originally Posted by Domain-and-Webspace View Post
    Also, competitors cannot simply register domain names "around you" and catch your customers.
    Well, in theory, they certainly can - its called "cybersquatting" and its an ugly practice to either steal your traffic or milk you if you want to purchase that extension too. That being said, if the business is well protected, you can track and chase the squatter off your virtual premises

As for the OP question, indeed its very good if you get more extensions, especially for the countries you will be expanding to. Of course, they come at a different price and another thing to keep in mind is that country-specific extensions have various requirements for registration, which are sometimes quite hard to meet. A little research of the extensions you most need will certainly help you avoid blind guessing
    www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
    Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.

Hi thebrosonite, you should include .asia domain as well since you only have .com and .com.uk - Target Asian Countries.

Response

Have a look at a list of tld's on the market at a place like crazydomains.

It's up to you. Though don't get a .org domain for a comercial website.

Quote Originally Posted by thebronsonite View Post
    Thank you.

I've looked into the other extensions, but some are very, very expensive (over £100??).
    Also, I am finding it difficult to find one supplier who can register the majority the extensions from one place. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I'm really not sure why people would tell you to purchase all these domains. I guess if you have tons of money, it is worth it. I thought that years ago, but after so many domains being registered, it never happened. And if it did, I could fix it.

Most of my "main" domains, I have the .com, .net, and .org. And I have the .us since that is cheap, and I can use it for downloads, etc.. good domain for those things you don't want to use your .com for. I let some of my other extensions go back... ICANN is full of it.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

If you are going to establish a brand to a specific foreign country, then buying a domain extension to that particular area would be good. And buying a .com domain for global purposes will vary on your goal on why you want to do it.