Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Web Hosting for a blog

Hi

I'll keep this quick as I'm sure you get this all the time - but I've spent all day trawling the internet and I'm not the wiser - actually I'm more confused!

First all of I'm UK based.

I wish to start my own blog running from my own web page (I've check the domain name I wish to use and it is available). This blog will be discussing product in an area that I'm knowledgable and passionate about. I will have affiliate links to these products as a way of generating a little bit of income to help pay for the site.

This is a hobby/fun first and if it takes off then great! But I'm just starting it as a blog which has affiliate links to make a bit of money on the side

I've looked into web hosting and buying domain names but it's so very confusing!

So I've thought about this long and hard before writing on here and these are the questions I have that I think will help me:

1) What exactly do I need from a web hosting service to do this idea? There will be pictures and text. Probably a few links to youtube videos as well. There will be links to other sites (affiliate links) to generate income.

2) I wish to run the blog from WordPress or SquareSpace. Which is better is a discussion for another tread! Will all decent UK based webhosting companies help with this?

3) Obviously the big boys I've looked at: 123 Reg, 1&1, GoDaddy all look great and have great offers BUT I've also looked at smaller companies as well but they use terms that make no sense to me (reseller accounts etc). Can anyone recommend an actual web hosting service/company based in the UK that would be suitable for my idea?

4) I have another idea for a totally separate website and therefore domain name. Should I look at different hosting services or can I do this on one of those offers where you allowed two domains (123reg offer this)

If you need anything more please let me know

Quote Originally Posted by spursberry View Post
    1) What exactly do I need from a web hosting service to do this idea? There will be pictures and text. Probably a few links to youtube videos as well. There will be links to other sites (affiliate links) to generate income.

2) I wish to run the blog from WordPress or SquareSpace. Which is better is a discussion for another tread! Will all decent UK based webhosting companies help with this?

3) Obviously the big boys I've looked at: 123 Reg, 1&1, GoDaddy all look great and have great offers BUT I've also looked at smaller companies as well but they use terms that make no sense to me (reseller accounts etc). Can anyone recommend an actual web hosting service/company based in the UK that would be suitable for my idea?

4) I have another idea for a totally separate website and therefore domain name. Should I look at different hosting services or can I do this on one of those offers where you allowed two domains (123reg offer this)
    1. you're going to want to look at shared hosting and then maybe upgrade to a vps later on when your site grows. in most cases around 1gb of space should be more than enough for starter/small blogs.

2. most web hosts allow for blogging software such as wordpress to be installed. some even offer one click installations of wordpress through softaculous so i dont think there should be any issues in running WP.

i don't think server location would matter much (you aren't running a game server or anything of that sort so the difference in latency would be negligible), but make sure you choose a reliable company who doesn't have overly sluggish servers!

3. i would suggest you stay away from 1&1, i've used them in the past (a client's site was hosted with them) and they were really slow especially when it comes to support.

4. you can just go with one hosting account and add add-on domains, or you can purchase a reseller hosting account and have each domain on a separate control panel

Most any shared package should work. While you can host multiple domains from the same account, I generally recommend hosting each domain separately for security reasons. I also recommend purchasing your domains and hosting separately from different providers.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

I think it will enough to have any shared cpanel hosting with Softacalous to make your wordpress blog.Domain you can get with godaddy, namecheap, dynadot etc...
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Guys! Thats really helpful! So fast as well! Thanks! A good forum!!!!

I've researched this for a while but today gone really into it big time!

I seem to like the look and sound of Kualo.co.uk for hosting!

Any views on them?

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    Most any shared package should work. While you can host multiple domains from the same account, I generally recommend hosting each domain separately for security reasons. I also recommend purchasing your domains and hosting separately from different providers.
    DWS2006 - thank you that last bit is very interesting. Could you explain a little why this is advantageous?

Also whereas webhosting really seems to matter who you go with - does domain name registration? I.e if a big boy like 1&1 or 123reg offer great deals on domain name reg - should I just buy with them and then spend more time worrying about the hosting?

From what I've picked up on the registration is just that - there seems to be no real technical issue about who I get it done with?

And finally on that - if I follow you plan - which I really like - is it easy to get someone else, such as Kualo, to host a site I brought with another company?

DWS2006 - thank you that last bit is very interesting. Could you explain a little why this is advantageous?
    Primarily because the relationship between a webmaster and hosting provider can sour for an endless number of reasons. Having your domain associated directly with a host can be very problematic when things go bad (WHT is full of horror stories about this issue).

Like you mention, less support is needed with domain registration which also limits the chances of problems arising between the domain owner and the registrar (not to say this can't happen, but it's rare). Also, when purchasing a domain from a registrar you will be the owner of the domain, this isn't always the case when buying a domain from a hosting provider.

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    Primarily because the relationship between a webmaster and hosting provider can sour for an endless number of reasons. Having your domain associated directly with a host can be very problematic when things go bad (WHT is full of horror stories about this issue).

Like you mention, less support is needed with domain registration which also limits the chances of problems arising between the domain owner and the registrar (not to say this can't happen, but it's rare). Also, when purchasing a domain from a registrar you will be the owner of the domain, this isn't always the case when buying a domain from a hosting provider.
    This doesn’t have to be the case as long as you aren’t signing up with a terrible host or doing illegal stuffs.

When it comes to domains, better safe than sorry.
    Always register direct with an accredited registrar (like Namecheap) and not a host.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by JFSG View Post
    This doesn’t have to be the case as long as you aren’t signing up with a terrible host or doing illegal stuffs.
    Unfortunately, bad hosting and illegal activities are just two of the endless number of reasons why the host/client relationship can fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Always register direct with an accredited registrar (like Namecheap) and not a host.
    That's interesting! Thank you!

As you mention it is Namecheap the best to go with? Anyone recommend anyone defo better or second name cheap? I'm thinking if buying tonight! Ta

I recommend Ghost.org for Blogging, it's much better than wordpress. Any host with Softaculous can allow it. You will need them to reset the blog if you add themes though.

I also recommend CrocWeb and FreshRoastedHosting. Also I believe if you find a reliable host which hasn't started and is trustworthy you can get domains from them, as they will help you get everything ready. Ensure you get control panel access to manage your domains so you can move out without them knowing you are.

Thanks mike - I'm gonna broach blogging itself in another topics soon but ghost looks very interesting thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Kpmedia - looking at namecheap they appear to offer the same services as everyone else (domains and hosting etc) which is fine but what makes them better than the other hosts?

Ta

looking at namecheap they appear to offer the same services as everyone else (domains and hosting etc) which is fine but what makes them better than the other hosts?
    namecheap is primarily a domain registrar who happens to offer web hosting services as well. other web hosts specialize in "web hosting" but they offer domain registrations as a complementary service.

when you sign up with namecheap you'll see that you have more freedom/control over your domain as opposed to registering your domain with your web host.

I believe KPMedia was referring to Namecheap as a registrar, not a host. I've used them for several years for a few domains. They are pretty easy to use for anyone, their prices are reasonable, and they don't bombard you with "offers." I just moved some domains from Register.com, which was ridiculously expensive, would send me notices that my registrations were expiring beginning 11 months before they were due, and making offers of other services to the point where basically they were spamming me. A few months back I registered some domains with ********, and so far, so good. They ONLY do registration, so they do it pretty well.

Many of the hosts who offer a free domain are affiliates of one registrar or another, and pick up a little extra as an affiliate fee. I don't think it happens much any more, but sometimes those free domains would actually be in the name of the hosting company, and when you went to move, they wouldn't allow the transfer, and you could lose your domain.

As for hosting, use this site to check out the reputation of the hosts you are thinking about. Just go to the webhosting forum, click on search this forum and type in the name of the host you are interested in. (you can also use the search box at the top of the home page, but you are likely to find stuff in forums that are not what you are looking for.) You'll find out what others have to say. Avoid most of the top ten or review sites out there, they are almost all based on being paid for the rankings, ad revenue, or affiliate income.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by illegit View Post
    namecheap is primarily a domain registrar who happens to offer web hosting services as well. other web hosts specialize in "web hosting" but they offer domain registrations as a complementary service.

when you sign up with namecheap you'll see that you have more freedom/control over your domain as opposed to registering your domain with your web host.
    We're both. We're in our 7th year of offering hosting services, so we're mature, established and not going anywhere like some on here. Hosting customers can expect the same level of quality that our domain customers expect.

Matt
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    We're both. We're in our 7th year of offering hosting services, so we're mature, established and not going anywhere like some on here. Hosting customers can expect the same level of quality that our domain customers expect.

Matt
    sorry i didn't mean to say that your hosting services are subpar, i just wanted to emphasize that getting a domain on a "real" (idk what term to use) registrar is always better. i've been using namecheap as my domain registrar since 2008 and i have yet to encounter problems

Okay - so regarding Domain name registration I think I'm going to go with Namecheap! Thank you

I wanted to email or ring them but can't find contacts SO I have three questions perhaps can be answered on here:

1) I'll buy a domain with them but host elsewhere - are they easy to go with for this? (don't forget I'm a total noob at all of this!!!!)

2) If I wish to extend my ownership of the domain, in say a year, but take it elsewhere- are they easy to work with when transferring the domain?

3) I've heard horror stories about registering a domain name but not actually owning it (that stays with the registar who have done a crafty) I'm guessing by the recommendations I don't have to worry about any silly business with Namecheap?

Thanks guys looking forward to making my first purchase today!!!!

Actually in addition to the above I just thought of something:

Is Namecheap British?

Or perhaps I should ask: does it matter where the company is based when I registar my domain?

I've heard when you host it's best to get a host/server in your country (makes sense) but is Namecheap UK based? Does it matter? Ta

Okay - so regarding Domain name registration I think I'm going to go with Namecheap! Thank you

I wanted to email or ring them but can't find contacts SO I have three questions perhaps can be answered on here:

1) I'll buy a domain with them but host elsewhere - are they easy to go with for this? (don't forget I'm a total noob at all of this!!!!)

2) If I wish to extend my ownership of the domain, in say a year, but take it elsewhere- are they easy to work with when transferring the domain?

3) I've heard horror stories about registering a domain name but not actually owning it (that stays with the registar who have done a crafty) I'm guessing by the recommendations I don't have to worry about any silly business with Namecheap?

Thanks guys looking forward to making my first purchase today!!!!
    1. yes, you'll just need to point your domain to your host's nameservers

2. yeah i suppose, but i doubt you'd want to move your domain elsewhere

3. you don't have to worry about anything of that sort.

illegit thanks for the speddy and informative reply!

Does my next post really matter? i.e are Namecheap UK based and does it matter if I'm only doing domain name registration with them?

ARGH! Sorry something just came up in discussion with a friend and I didn't know answer so thought I'd post on here! Soon I'll stop being a thorn in the side! Promise! lol

Anyway - I wish to buy two domain names. One for my blog idea I want to work on asap. The other I want to hold onto for an idea a little further down the line (when I get time)!

If I don't get time and decide to sell the domain name what do I need to be aware of at THIS POINT for doing this. So I'm not bothering you for detailed selling info at this point - I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right and getting the right account to give me the option so that if I wish to sell one of the names I can. Do I need not do anything special? I've registered it, it's mine and if I want to sell it I can just do so?

Actually in addition to the above I just thought of something:

Is Namecheap British?

Or perhaps I should ask: does it matter where the company is based when I registar my domain?

I've heard when you host it's best to get a host/server in your country (makes sense) but is Namecheap UK based? Does it matter? Ta
    Namecheap isn't British but we do have a UK location with servers in the UK. You can select the location as you order your plan.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

I've gone with NameCheap!!! Brought my first domain name! Yay!

Now I just need to find a host!

I'm thinking of Kualo! Any problems people are aware of for that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast