Provider slashing price - how does it work?

My provider, Contabo, has recently cut its prices (I believe it was in November).

I can see I'm still being charged the old price which admittedly is the price I signed up for.

Is this normal, i.e. that new reduced prices only benefit existing customers?

Contabo has a sign-up fee which of course you would have to pay again if you started over ... which I assume would give the new reduced price.

Just wanted to know if the fact that price cuts only benefits NEW customers is normal among hosting providers ?

thx.

Not really, but say if your bill is due in the same month as the price cuts you should pay the normal price until next month.

If the price rises then you shouldn't be effected. The only way that new customers should be able to pay less is promotions they use on purchase.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Hi,

contact them. They are obligated to keep prices for existing customers, no matter is it lower or higher then now. Price update possible only with customer approval within current service due date.
    Time4VPS - flexible, worry-free, fast and affordable VPS hosting in Europe.

The best way to find what happening here is to call them and ask or try to send then an email . Many companies cut price only for new registrations - customers.

Quote Originally Posted by phansi View Post
    My provider, Contabo, has recently cut its prices (I believe it was in November).

I can see I'm still being charged the old price which admittedly is the price I signed up for.

Is this normal, i.e. that new reduced prices only benefit existing customers?

Contabo has a sign-up fee which of course you would have to pay again if you started over ... which I assume would give the new reduced price.

Just wanted to know if the fact that price cuts only benefits NEW customers is normal among hosting providers ?

thx.

Dear phansi,
    I just read your message. I kindly ask you to get in contact with our support ([email protected]). I am sure they can help you regarding your request.

Have a nice day,
    Contabo-K
    Contabo
    Contabo offers low-cost Dedicated Servers, Virtual Private Servers, Webspace and Colocation.
    Professional hosting solutions for businesses of all sizes: https://Contabo.com

Quote Originally Posted by phansi View Post
    thx.
    In a word, yes.
    Industry standard is that both price cuts and price increases usually affect new customers only (though some hosts extends it to existing clients).
    On the other hand, there is nothing stopping you from cancelling your current VPS and purchasing a new one at the reduced price.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj5j View Post
    In a word, yes.
    Industry standard is that both price cuts and price increases usually affect new customers only (though some hosts extends it to existing clients).
    On the other hand, there is nothing stopping you from cancelling your current VPS and purchasing a new one at the reduced price.
    Exactly. I remember there was a huge debate involving WiredTree on this issue af few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JFSG View Post
    Exactly. I remember there was a huge debate involving WiredTree on this issue af few months ago.
    Except this doesn't apply to us as we "Level Up" our clients with free additional resources whenever we upgrade our VPS plans
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

i would have a good old moan at them. If they lower their prices, then technically is a promo. To raise their prices they need to contact you first and give you the option to end your contract. Well thats what they have to do in the UK........ i guess it depends on the law in the hosting country.

Are you sure that the price is only an introductory one? Most hosts offer a special introductory price for the first billing term, and then charge the regular price once the renewal comes through.