Thread: Down-Time Forum

Down-Time Forum

There shuold be a downtime forum, were people can place posts about a host being down.

Re: Down-Time Forum

Originally posted by Phoenix Host
    There shuold be a downtime forum, were people can place posts about a host being down.

hehe there is one agreement

Not that I'm disagreeing, but WHT was never intended to be a means of support for any host---or at least that's my impression. Shouldn't those posts go on the host's forums or be directed at that particular host's support ticket system?

Just make a forum called "INSANE" and move all the whining, bitching, HOST DOWN" threads.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

I think people use the "host down" threads to see if anyone else using their host is also experiencing problems, or if the problem is on their side. I know many times when my host had gone down, I felt so isolated, not know what the heck was going on.

Being able to at least tell SOMEONE "my host is down!" was therapeutic for me, even though my wife didn't know what I was talking about.

It would also help, like I said, to figure out where the problem really is. A month ago, somehow the DNS entries for my server got messed up in on one nameserver that belonged to Road Runner-Central Florida, where I live. To me, and to thousands of customers in this area, my sites were down, as was my host's site... so it looked to me that their whole operation was down. My family and friends in CA, OH, NH, TX and other parts of FL were able to access my sites fine.

Turned out, the TTL was set at 41 days (!) so there was no chance that the incorrect DNS was going to get fixed automatically.

I really think there should be a "Host Down" forum, if only to move thos posts out of the other forums.

Yes, maybe not call it a Down-Time forum but like Uptime Problems or something...

WHT is NOT a support forum. WHT = Web Hosting Talk. If your host has uptime problems then they SHOULD have another way for you to contact them.

Good idea Samuel

A Down-Time forum would not be a support forum and it should be forbidden to be used as one... it would be for users to seek out other users who are using the same host and TALK about whether or not they are having the same problems.

-- very useful with a host DOESN'T have a third-party place to go for support... which a LOT don't.
    Last edited by xWho; 04-19-2003 at 05:05 PM.

Exactly what I wanted, nothing like a support forum or Bash this host forum, just a place to see if others using the same service are expeiencing hte same problems.

Originally posted by sixdollarhos
    A Down-Time forum would not be a support forum and it should be forbidden to be used as one... it would be for users to seek out other users who are using the same host and TALK about whether or not they are having the same problems.

-- very useful with a host DOESN'T have a third-party place to go for support... which a LOT don't.
    Here again, as stated already, WHT is not a place for this type of communication.

If members would follow the rules in place now, it may be different... Most do I admit, but it's those that don't which make it rough for everyone else - mods and members alike.

If having a forum for a seperate support option is vital to someone, shame on them for not signing on with a host that doesn't have it.

It was a nice thought, just the wrong forum (people) to ask for one