Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a cheap server for only file hosting for private use.

Hi All,
    I need a cheap hosting which will be mostly used for file sharing for my limited clients. Files are mostly graphics and some are very few other files too. If I can use filezila and minimum control panel for adding/removing/modifying ftp user then that will be enough. My budget is low but I need guaranteed web space, no 'unlimited' offer please. I need at least 200 GB. <<snipped>>

You can ask me questions for more clarification if needed.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bear; 01-19-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Providers can't reply here with offers (I'm not sure about a pm).

You might want to take a look at a storage vps from buyvm.net or backupsy. Webmin + Proftpd with mod_sftp should provide you with a workable solution.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

I hope you're not taking about shared hosting, as you won't get 200 GB of storage on it, at least not from a reliable provider.

Can you give us numbers for your budget?
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

You'd probably be best going for a high end VPS, I've not seen many providers who offer that much disk space.
    Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Web Hosting
    Cloud VPS Servers | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups | One Click Apps | Custom ISOs
    clouveo.com | Locations: [UK] London, [NL] Amsterdam, [US] Los Angeles

200gb on vps ? it is better to take a look for a cheap dedicated server. Will run quicker than vps

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post

You might want to take a look at a storage vps from buyvm.net or backupsy. Webmin + Proftpd with mod_sftp should provide you with a workable solution.

backupsy seems promising in price but I do not know about their market reputation as they are very new! Any idea about their service?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoork Hosting View Post
    I hope you're not taking about shared hosting, as you won't get 200 GB of storage on it, at least not from a reliable provider.

Can you give us numbers for your budget?
    The cheaper is better

Quote Originally Posted by Tolis View Post
    200gb on vps ? it is better to take a look for a cheap dedicated server. Will run quicker than vps
    It doesn't matter actually. If anyone can provide a minimal control panel with some administrative option then that will not be a problem too. I just need it to share files with my customers. Can you please tell me a good and cheap dedicated server provider?

Whats your budget for this?
    if you not concerned with up-time and management there are lots of options

VPSs and dedicated servers just for sharing files with some clients? Are you guys mad?

Go and subscribe to Dropbox. It's essentially $10 per 100GB of space, which comes with 30-day version history and an excellent UI. You can either share files directly as hotlinks:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../cold-city.jpg

Or you can present your users with a simple page:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzkzw617a1...-cold-city.jpg

The latter can also show galleries of images, in-browser playing of media files, etc.

While Dropbox has recently stopped disclosing bandwidth limits, up until a few weeks ago it was 250GB per day. Unless you're serving a ridiculously high amount of traffic — in which case you probably do need a dedicated server or CDN — you're unlikely to ever hit a limit. After all, this service is primarily designed for backing up and transmitting lots of data.

Even static websites can be hosted on Dropbox in your public folder, behold:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3...pipe/index.htm

Of course the latency/performance isn't ideal, but perfectly fine for showing clients preview versions and such.

Really, I wouldn't bother with conventional web hosting for file storage. The newer services that have come along such as Dropbox, SkyDrive, and Google Drive are just better — and Dropbox is the best of the three.
    Last edited by Ryan Williams; 01-19-2014 at 10:48 AM.

If you want your own server, Backupsy is quite good and install owncloud and then you have got your own dropbox.

Been with them for about a month now and not had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    VPSs and dedicated servers just for sharing files with some clients? Are you guys mad?

Go and subscribe to Dropbox. It's essentially $10 per 100GB of space, which comes with 30-day version history and an excellent UI. You can either share files directly as hotlinks:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../cold-city.jpg

Or you can present your users with a simple page:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzkzw617a1...-cold-city.jpg

The latter can also show galleries of images, in-browser playing of media files, etc.

While Dropbox has recently stopped disclosing bandwidth limits, up until a few weeks ago it was 250GB per day. Unless you're serving a ridiculously high amount of traffic — in which case you probably do need a dedicated server or CDN — you're unlikely to ever hit a limit. After all, this service is primarily designed for backing up and transmitting lots of data.

Even static websites can be hosted on Dropbox in your public folder, behold:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3...pipe/index.htm

Of course the latency/performance isn't ideal, but perfectly fine for showing clients preview versions and such.

Really, I wouldn't bother with conventional web hosting for file storage. The newer services that have come along such as Dropbox, SkyDrive, and Google Drive are just better — and Dropbox is the best of the three.
    I'd agree with this or a similar solution... Or get a 2bay readynas and a quick home net connection ;-)
    VIPNode - a TeamRSS, LLC Company
    Reinventing Hosting - www.VIPNode.net

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    Both are disallowed.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Go and subscribe to Dropbox. It's essentially $10 per 100GB of space, which comes with 30-day version history and an excellent UI......
    I want to use a subdomain for the file-server, so dropbox will not work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shopnobaz View Post
    I want to use a subdomain for the file-server, so dropbox will not work for me.
    What about running an automatic redirect? I have various subdomains that are simply aliased to folders within my Dropbox account, for example:

files.grimfandango.net/audio/fan-music/sanspoof_on_piano.mp3

I do it so that if I ever need to change where I host the files, the URLs I link to don't need to change. Also it looks a bit nicer if somebody copies the link from the site. Of course, once they start downloading it doesn't really matter.

What about running an automatic redirect? I have various subdomains that are simply aliased to folders within my Dropbox account, for example:

files.grimfandango.net/audio/fan-music/sanspoof_on_piano.mp3

I do it so that if I ever need to change where I host the files, the URLs I link to don't need to change. Also it looks a bit nicer if somebody copies the link from the site. Of course, once they start downloading it doesn't really matter.
    My client will get individual ftp account to upload-download files, they use filezilla. And I do not want to give even any ip address, I use my subdomain for ftp accounts. Is it possible to upload-download file using filezilla in case of dropbox?

Sadly not, you're going to need a regular hosting plan after all due to your particular requirements.

Be aware that most shared hosts don't allow their hosting to be used as a general file sharing repository. If they catch you doing it they will likely find some way to terminate your services due to costs for them to keep your account running.

You'll probably need a semi-dedicated or managed VPS account in order to that kind of disk space along with the other features you need. That's a lot of disk space even for a VPS, though.

Sadly not, you're going to need a regular hosting plan after all due to your particular requirements.

Be aware that most shared hosts don't allow their hosting to be used as a general file sharing repository. If they catch you doing it they will likely find some way to terminate your services due to costs for them to keep your account running.

You'll probably need a semi-dedicated or managed VPS account in order to that kind of disk space along with the other features you need. That's a lot of disk space even for a VPS, though.
    Yes, I'm aware of those issues and that's why asking here. You are wise guys here, hope I'll get some more helpfull info form you all.

Quote Originally Posted by shopnobaz View Post
    Yes, I'm aware of those issues and that's why asking here. You are wise guys here, hope I'll get some more helpfull info form you all.
    It's very difficult if you won't tell us your budget. The VPS providers that I'd ordinarily recommend are Linode (unmanaged) and Future Hosting (managed). With the former you're looking at about $80/month plus however much management costs you, while with the latter you're looking at closer to $200/month. This is because VPS providers tend to iterate all of their resources at once, so for lots of disk space you also have to pay for lots of CPU and RAM.

A more economical option would be to get a very basic dedicated server, such as you can get from OVH's So You Start range or even cheaper Online.net's personal range. These will easily provide your required storage, and while especially in the case of the latter the CPUs and such are fairly weak this isn't really an issue for your needs. You will still need a management package from somewhere like Platinum Server Management if you can't do it yourself, though.

Some useful tutorials for VPSes...
    Set up an unmanaged Linux VPS to host websites
    (avoid having to pay for cPanel)
    Install a GUI on a Linux VPS with RDP (cheap alternative to paying for a Windows license if you need a basic remote workstation)

I vote for Backupsy as well. Sure, their CPU and RAM leaves something to be desired, but $10 for every 250GB is a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Looie View Post
    Good tips on the storage-orientated VPSs guys. Not seen many of those myself, although a shame the UK ones are more expensive. I'd be interested to know about more of these.

Where are your files at the moment?

What service are you currently using?

You could get a cheap VPS and use Samba maybe? It wont be fast but it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Akin Olagbaiye View Post
    Where are your files at the moment?

What service are you currently using?
    Files are not hosted yet. For now, some of files are hosted in my webserver, server runs php and mysql.

Quote Originally Posted by thecalstanley View Post
    You could get a cheap VPS and use Samba maybe? It wont be fast but it will work.
    I need space, vps or shared server or dedicated whatever I need space and also in cheap. May be backupsy is a good choice.

So are you just looking for a large "Storage Bucket" essentially? Something with lots of storage like but a reactively low/standard spec?
    Akin Olagbaiye | akin@tsohost.com | +44 203 137 5608
    Shared Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | Reseller Hosting | Managed Hosting | Domain Names | Email Hosting | SSL Certificates
    TSOHost | www.tsohost.com - Proudly based in the United Kingdom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast