Question Email from 'fbi'. Real or fake

I recently received an email from what appears to be the FBI. The 'from' field is: FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION <fbidirectorsoffice@fbi.gov>.

Below is the letter:

DO NOT PRINT /FORWARD THIS MAIL ITS AGAINST THE LAW
    This e-mail, including any attachments, is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 10 U.S.C. 2510-2521

ANTI-TERRORIST AND MONETARY CRIMES DIVISION
    FBI HEADQUARTERS WASHINGTON DC
    FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATIONS J.EDGAR HOOVER BUILDING
    935 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, NW WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535-0001
    Ref: FBI/DC/25/113/13/2014
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/executives/director

Your attention is needed immediately

We have been informed through our global intelligence monitoring network that the sum of $10.500, 000.00, has been released from a bank in Africa bearing your name as the beneficiary without dist certificate to clear your name and fund from every terrorist or drug or money laundering activities

We sincerely apologize for sending you this sensitive information via e-mail instead of a certified mail, phone call or a face-to-face conversation,We will also send you a certified email later it is due to the urgency and importance of the security information needed. To checkmate financial recklessness, illegal gambling, racketeering and considering the effect of the global financial crisis rocking the United States, our government with the help of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (F.B.I) Washington, DC and the internet crime complaint center (ic3),alongside the CIA signed an agreement with U.K police for an immediate release of all overdue funds presently logged in their treasury and to ensure it is disbursed to the rightful beneficiaries in all parts of the world. If you the beneficiary would adhere to our instruction it will help you receive your payment immediately

The bank knowing fully well that they do not have enough facilities to make this payment from any part of the world to your account directly, used what we know as a secret diplomatic transit payment (s.d.t.p) method to make the payment. direct transfers are difficult and secret diplomatic transit payment (s.d.t.p) are not usually made unless the funds are related to terrorist activities and we ask why must your payment be made in a secret transfer if your transaction is legitimate.

We do not want you to get into trouble as soon as these funds reflect in your personal account, so it is our duty as an international agency to correct these little problems before this fund reflects into your personal account.

we advise you to contact us immediately, as your funds have been stopped and are being held in our custody, until you are able to provide us with the dist certificate within 3 days from the country that authorized the transfer to certify that the funds that you are about to receive are terrorist/drug free or we shall have cause to impound the payment and subsequently prosecute you for cross border terrorist financial activites.

based on our findings, our investigative department wish to warn you against some miscreants, hoodlums and touts who go about scamming innocent people by claiming to be who they are not and thereby tarnishing the image of this wonderful country. By sending out fraudulent emails without our official logo and emblem we shall release your funds immediately we receive this legal document and we will ensure that you receive your payment without any further delay.

Note

We decided to contact you directly by email to acquire the proper verifications and proof from you to show that you are the rightful person to receive this fund, because of the huge amount involved. Be informed that the funds are now with a top bank in the united state in your name and under the monitoring/custody of the FBI. At the moment, we have asked the bank not to release the fund to anybody that comes to them, unless we instruct them to do so, and only if we receive the dist certificate this is to enable us carry out a comprehensive investigation first before releasing the fund to you.

hence, you are to forward your dist certificate to us immediately if you have it in your possession, if you do not have it, then let us know so that we will direct you to the appropriate authority to obtain the certificate then you are to send it to our office. And thereafter, we will instruct the bank holding the funds, to go ahead and credit your account immediately. If you fail to provide the documents to this office, we will prosecute you and take appropriate action against you for not proving the legality of the funds.

Finally if you truly want to receive this funds without F.B.I troubles then reconfirm the following below

Name………………………………………………….
    Address………………………………………………..
    Sex………………………………………………………
    Age.....................................................................
    Contact number………………………………………..
    Country of origin of funds……………………………..

Yours Faithfully

SPECIAL AGENT (admin division)
    Colleen M. Conyngham
    (BADGE NUMBER JTT047101111)
    FOR FBI DIRECTOR
    MR. JAMES COMEY

cc: general intelligence department (GID)
    cc federal bureau of investigation (fFBIi)
    cc .internet crime complaint center (ic3)
    cc: Asia pacific group on money laundering (APG)
    cc: international monetary fund (IMF)
    cc: international organization of securities commissions (IOSCO)
    cc: international banking security association (IBSA)
    cc: world customs organization (WCO)
    cc: inter-American development bank (IADB)
    cc: national white collar crime center (NW3C)
    cc: bureau of justice assistance (BJA)
    cc: supreme court of South Africa(SCA)

LEGAL NOTICE:
    Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.

AVISO LEGAL:
    Salvo que se indique lo contrario, este mensaje es confidencial y puede ser privilegiada. Se pretende a su destinatario (s)solamente. El acceso a este e-mail por cualquier otra persona no estб autorizado. Si usted no es un destinatario, cualquier divulgaciуn o copia de lacontenidos ni de cualquier acciуn realizada (o no) en la dependencia en que no estб autorizado y puede ser ilegal. Si no son unadestinatario, por favor notifique al remitente de inmediato

This e-mail, including any attachments, is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 10 U.S.C. 2510-2521

So my question is, is this some kind of scam and how does it purport to come from the FBI email address?

Of course it's Fake, surely you've had emails like this before? My old Hotmail account gets them daily.
    █ • North Hosts Limited - Company Number 8808995 Affordable UK Web Hosting
    █ • Shared • Reseller • VPS • Dedicated • 24/7/365 Support • Instant Activation
    █ • Trendy Site Builder • CloudFlare • Softaculous • Seo Tools • cPanel

As soon as I saw Africa I can tell you it's fake!

These emails stopped for a while but seem to be on the rise again!

Just delete it and ignore it!

P.s the FBI wouldn't email you they would come to your door if they needed you!

absolutely it is fake! do not send your informations to this type of emails senders

That's fake spoof spam.

100% fake.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

You can tell it's fake just by looking at all the grammatical errors and typos, starting from the very first line.
    VPSFlame - OpenVZ & KVM VPS, Web Hosting, Minecraft, Domain Registration
    Denmark | Germany | Dallas, TX

fake. no doubt.
    www.HostingITEM.com
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud Dedicated Servers | Contact Us : sales@hostingitem.com

Fake! Fake! Fake!

After investigation, what other details will the FBI request from an individual other than an arrest?
    █▌ Cheapest Domain Registration Service & Shared Hosting Solutions .
    █▌ Skrill, Perfect Money, AdvCash, Webmoney,Monero, Neteller, BitCoin, Payeer, Crypto.
    █▌ Instant Domain Name Registration - Over 700+ Extensions x3reg.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Jump-systems View Post

LEGAL NOTICE:
    Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.

Well... It says you cannot print or forward the email, it says nothing about posting it on WebHostingTalk... come on Spammers, get with the program already!.

Yes, it is fake. It is VERY easy to modify the email headers to display any name. This is commonly known as "spoofing". Spammers do this often with bank emails as well. In fact, just the other day, I sent myself a thank you letter from Barack Obama and @bear.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

I especially loved this bit:
    If you fail to provide the documents to this office, we will prosecute you and take appropriate action against you for not proving the legality of the funds.
    Points for trying, but good grief is this faked.

Quote Originally Posted by KMyers View Post
    just the other day, I sent myself a thank you letter from Barack Obama and @bear.
    Did you get my credentials yet? I could really use that money...
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Well... It has the word "Africa" in the e-mail, that should be enough to tell anyone fake.
    ExtraVM - DDoS Protected NVMe VPS, Website Hosting, & Game Servers
    Dallas, TX | Miami, FL | Los Angeles, CA | Piscataway, NJ | Amsterdam, NL | Singapore | Tokyo, JP

That's funny person who wrote that up waisted lots of time.

FBI will never bother to write an email they will come to your door.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.

Well, everyone already knows this is fake, but for mildly interesting details...

Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986, which this email cites is the act which prevents government authorities from unauthorized tapping phone and email records. It's the act NSA clearly hasn't read.

There is no such law. You can't one way enforce a law you made on the spot onto someone else, especially if it's caused by your mistake. Doesn't matter who you are. Actually, I guess it does matter who you are... like if you're Hitler.

$10.500, 000.00
    They clearly don't know how decimals work... WTF is that even supposed to mean?

...face-to-face conversation,We will also send...
    Or periods...
    Or commas... Or run-on sentences... or grammar in general.
    I have no sig to spam.

I've never heard anyone in the FBI call criminals hoodlums. Also, you would've received another email from them, how he makes $2000 per day sitting at home - click the link to find out how.

I get these types of emails all the from my 'Old Uncle George' who's died about 10 times this week and each time has said he's about about $10million for me
    Regards
    Josh Kility, Former CEO AllHostOne

lololol
    ofc its a fake, i'm receiving 3 of these emails per week in my hotmail account.
    Want cheap Facebook Likes or RDP(Remote Desktop 1Gbps)? PM
    or search for my threads in the Advertising Forums
    Demo available for both services

Aw man. That email wasn't suppose to go out. It was just a test to see who would respond

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryServers View Post
    That's funny person who wrote that up waisted lots of time.
    I bet there's a scam emails template site that anyone can get these from...of course if they haven't recived a ton of them already over the years. The site will have such options;

- bank scams
    - rich government official died and needs YOUR bank info because their "wife" cannot process the payment
    - hosting scams
    - travel scams

Change the name of the scam and send it off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by digitallog View Post
    FBI will never bother to write an email they will come to your door.
    Door..that's rather polite. Someone I knew who was involved in shady stuff was helping another friend of ours move some years ago. A few seconds after he walked around the corner with some boxes, RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) captured him and took him away. No sirens, no vehicles, no teams of people. Basically a very quick kidnapping.

Just ignore it. Its a fake email.