* Looking for a reputable whois site

I've heard too many horror stories about domain sellers selling our whois searches before we register them. I always used iwhois.com because I heard they don't sell them. But their site changed a while back so I don't know if that's still the case, and anyway all I get when I search is a little rotating ball. I use dotster for my domains but I don't trust them completely in that regard. (Not that it's happened to me but ...)

So what is a good site that definitely won't resell my iwhois searches?
    Last edited by Postbox; 01-18-2014 at 05:58 PM.

"selling our whois searches" <- what does this mean?

What does it mean when one "sells a whois search"?

I've heard of this happening for a long time but never saw proof. The version I've heard works something like this:

Search strings from whois sites are stored and then sold. Why? You search on your favorite whois site for domainname.com. If it comes up taken or comes up available. Let's say it is available and you do not buy it. Let's also say that 300 other people searched for that domain name recently and didn't buy it. Now it's on that list with 300 searches.

A quick sort of the spreadsheet holding all these searches and it's easily apparent that domainname.com is of some value to at least 300 people. And that is enough to prompt somebody to buy it to either sell it to one of those 300 at a very high rate or slap advertising all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by punstress View Post
    I've heard too many horror stories about domain sellers selling our whois searches before we register them
    A whois search wouldn't be on any use to anyone - for a domain to be in whois is has to already be registered.

An *availability* search result on the other hand ....

There are 'occurrences' where a domain name gets 'registered' immediately after you check it's available, several registrars have been known to do this.

The obvious 'solutions' are to run your own whois queries rather than use any 'service' or to use the authoritive source (like internic.net for gtlds)
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by astutiumRob View Post
    The obvious 'solutions' are to run your own whois queries rather than use any 'service' or to use the authoritive source (like internic.net for gtlds)
    Obvious solution. Of course. Complete no-brainer!

But I think you will find that many modern-day Internet users wouldn't have a clue how to do this. "Command line? Port 43? What's that???"

On windows I use this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/s.../bb897435.aspx and drop the whois.exe into C:\Windows\System32

Then run the command "whois example.com"
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I am using the GeekTools WHOIS Script. The TLDList is a bit outdated but can easily be extended: http://www.geektools.com/tools.php

It really depends on what you are looking for. If it's plain mass domain avaibility checking I'd recommend using the API of your registrar as they are usually faster when checking several TLDs at once. Easiest method would be the whois tool on a Linux/Unix box.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubeca View Post
    But I think you will find that many modern-day Internet users wouldn't have a clue how to do this
    If they're clued up enough to realise their checks for a domain name are being tracked, they're more than capable of using a command line tool.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by astutiumRob View Post
    If they're clued up enough to realise their checks for a domain name are being tracked, they're more than capable of using a command line tool.
    That's what any reasonable person would think. Sadly that's not been my experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541 View Post
    On windows I use this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/s.../bb897435.aspx and drop the whois.exe into C:\Windows\System32

Then run the command "whois example.com"
    This is probably the best method.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates