Question Good bandwidth providers in LA?

I'm looking to replace one of our transit circuits; we in CoreSite at 900 N. Alameda, Los Angeles.

I considered Level 3, but they gave me very high pricing (almost double what they quoted me 5 years ago!), so they are off the list.

We already have NTT America (been quite happy with them), and an old Mzima circuit (now GTT). GTT has been disappointing lately.

Any recommendations?

I was considering: PCCW, Qwest, Savvis, Tata Comm.
    Garry Dolley @ ARP Networks | gdolley _at_ arpnetworks . com | #arpnetworks on Freenode | @arpnetworks, @bsdvps
    State of the art services, strong community and friendly support
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux VPS • ARP Metal™ Dedicated Servers • Colocation • IP Transit
    Native IPv6 • VNC Console • Tunnel VNC over SSH • Serial Console over SSH • DNS Manager

You could try out Zayo if they're in that location, I've not used them yet in LA we have a 10gbps port going up with them shortly. Have you tried working Level3 down on their pricing?
    ⚡️ PUREVOLTAGE.COM ⚡️Custom Dedicated Servers, Colocation, VPS Contact us: sales@purevoltage.com Skype: Mobile.Jake
    AMD EPYC 7443P RYZEN 7950X3D ⚡️ NVME 10G - 100Gbps We do it all!

New York City ★ Seattle ★ Los Angeles ★ Chicago ★ Dallas

PCCW or Tata are both good choices, however Coresite has path protected metro cross connects back to 1 Wilshire, where you can pickup many more carriers. I would go this route if I were you.

You might even consider getting a few RU with a provider at 1 Wilshire with a metro XC from Coresite and then you can aggregate many providers and haul them back to your site.

We've seen a lot of customers do this.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Purevoltage View Post
    You could try out Zayo if they're in that location, I've not used them yet in LA we have a 10gbps port going up with them shortly. Have you tried working Level3 down on their pricing?
    Yeah, I tried to get Level 3 to go down, but they would not.

Thanks for the Zayo recommendation.
    Garry Dolley @ ARP Networks | gdolley _at_ arpnetworks . com | #arpnetworks on Freenode | @arpnetworks, @bsdvps
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux VPS • ARP Metal™ Dedicated Servers • Colocation • IP Transit
    Native IPv6 • VNC Console • Tunnel VNC over SSH • Serial Console over SSH • DNS Manager

Quote Originally Posted by lostpacket View Post
    PCCW or Tata are both good choices, however Coresite has path protected metro cross connects back to 1 Wilshire, where you can pickup many more carriers. I would go this route if I were you.
    That increases my cost quite a bit. The x-conn fees are higher back to One Wilshire. Most big providers are already at 900 N. Alameda anyway.

You might even consider getting a few RU with a provider at 1 Wilshire with a metro XC from Coresite and then you can aggregate many providers and haul them back to your site.
    Even higher cost. Although they gave me a good quote for a 1/3 cabinet on the 4th MMR at One Wilshire. It just isn't necessary though if a carrier will meet me at 900, directly.

Good Luck!
    Thanks.

What commitment size you looking for?

Have you looked into TW Telecom or Integra Telecom?

Garry,
    I'd like to see TATA or Zayo.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I have been very satisfied with the performance of our Centurylink/Qwest AS209 transit. We picked it up via Giglinx at very reasonable cost. We run Cisco performance routing (PfR) that does dynamic outbound route selection and the Centurylink circuit shows solid results for latency and packet loss against our other tranit providers Cogent, TW Telecom, and XO. TW Telecom is also very good across the board.

A few good ones I know of are Tata Communications, PCCW, AboveNet/Zayo, and (personal preference here, take it or leave it) nLayer.

Quote Originally Posted by progent View Post
    I have been very satisfied with the performance of our Centurylink/Qwest AS209 transit. We picked it up via Giglinx at very reasonable cost. We run Cisco performance routing (PfR) that does dynamic outbound route selection and the Centurylink circuit shows solid results for latency and packet loss against our other tranit providers Cogent, TW Telecom, and XO. TW Telecom is also very good across the board.
    I agree, TW Telcom is pretty awesome. We have them in Vegas and overall they are a solid provider. However I am not sure if they will hit the price points hes looking for.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

How about Cogent?
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - Colocation, Miner Hosting, Dedicated and Cloud Hosting Quotes

We work with Savvis, nLayer, Carpathia, TW Telecom, Tinet and a few others. Of the many providers we've dealt with, nLayer is definitely a favorite. Very reliable uptime and reasonable pricing.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

Quote Originally Posted by garrycc View Post
    I'm looking to replace one of our transit circuits; we in CoreSite at 900 N. Alameda, Los Angeles.

I considered Level 3, but they gave me very high pricing (almost double what they quoted me 5 years ago!), so they are off the list.

We already have NTT America (been quite happy with them), and an old Mzima circuit (now GTT). GTT has been disappointing lately.

Any recommendations?

I was considering: PCCW, Qwest, Savvis, Tata Comm.
    900 Alameda has cross connects to One Wilshire at the same price that One Wilshire charges for cross connects inside of its own building. Which in turn means you can connect to anyone in One Wilshire. One Wilshire is the main carrier hotel for Los Angeles, so bottom line is you can connect to just about anyone. The best carrier will depend on who you're trying to reach. If you want good performance to China for cheap, then HE.net is a good option. If you want good performance to China and willing to pay more, PCCW is supposed to be good. If you're interested more in US traffic, there are quite a lot of options. Level3 will be cheaper through a reseller. I would suggest contacting either Marcus @ giglinx or you can talk to Swiftway. Both companies can probably do a much better deal than direct. That applies to other carriers as well. Tata and Abovenet are worth contacting to see what they can do for you.

I know that FDCservers can resell Abovenet at good prices if the connection is inside a "zcolo pop", but cannot do the same for Abovenet's other pops. Not sure if Abovenet is competitive in general besides that one connectivity option. Wouldn't hurt to hit up Telia as well. Really all the good carriers are present in the building you're in.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Good Luck!
    Supposedly Coresite charges the same for an xconnect between 900 Alameda and One Wilshire as they charge for a connection inside of One Wilshire, so putting gear in One Wilshire to aggregate your backhaul shouldn't be necessary unless they've changed this policy.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Quote Originally Posted by benj114 View Post
    What commitment size you looking for?

Have you looked into TW Telecom or Integra Telecom?
    100 Mbps on a 1 Gbps port. Haven't looked into TWT or Integra yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Garry,
    I'd like to see TATA or Zayo.
    Zayo has contacted me. TATA, not yet, but hopefully soon...

If you need an account rep contact at TW Telecom let me know and I can PM you the info of the rep I've been dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by quotecolo View Post
    How about Cogent?
    The reason I'm looking for a new provider is congestion and packet loss. Therefore, I don't want to pick up Cogent and have the same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmax View Post
    We work with Savvis, nLayer, Carpathia, TW Telecom, Tinet and a few others. Of the many providers we've dealt with, nLayer is definitely a favorite. Very reliable uptime and reasonable pricing.
    nLayer is now owned by GTT. We've seen a lot of problems with traffic coming in over nLayer in Los Angeles. Hence, why I'm replacing GTT (and, as a result, nLayer).

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    900 Alameda has cross connects to One Wilshire at the same price that One Wilshire charges for cross connects inside of its own building.
    This is not always the case. My bill has x-conn's that are higher that go back to One Wilshire than local in-the-building.

Plus, if you ride their "campus network", then their L2 problems become your problems.

Not sure how providers are working with right now however we noticed much better pricing when hitting the 2-5gbps on a 10gb port. I believe most would be around the $3-6/mbps mark for that type of commit however it's been a few years since we did that.

Not sure if they're in the same building or not but check out http://wolfe.net I believe they're using Level3 and Zayo in their mix they offered us decent pricing in Seattle a few years ago chat with Deon.
    ⚡️ PUREVOLTAGE.COM ⚡️Custom Dedicated Servers, Colocation, VPS Contact us: sales@purevoltage.com Skype: Mobile.Jake
    AMD EPYC 7443P RYZEN 7950X3D ⚡️ NVME 10G - 100Gbps We do it all!

New York City ★ Seattle ★ Los Angeles ★ Chicago ★ Dallas

Not sure how providers are working with right now however we noticed much better pricing when hitting the 2-5gbps on a 10gb port. I believe most would be around the $3-6/mbps mark for that type of commit however it's been a few years since we did that.
    Yeah, it's just that is far more bandwidth than we would need. It would be better just to pay the higher price for a lower commit.

Not sure if they're in the same building or not but check out http://wolfe.net I believe they're using Level3 and Zayo in their mix they offered us decent pricing in Seattle a few years ago chat with Deon.
    OK thanks, I'll check 'em out.

Quote Originally Posted by quotecolo View Post
    How about Cogent?
    I have used Cogent transit for the past six years at multiple locations. There is a lot to like about Cogent. They often have the best pricing and especially so for small commits. You can usually get a price quoted instantly over the phone whereas many other tier 1 providers it seems like it takes an act of congress just to get a price. Contracting is quick and easy. You can usually get new service turned on in the 17 business days they normally quote. Their network is solid and well run, they now have more peering connections than any other network, and they have good to excellent technical support. In fact if your traffic originates and terminates on their network you would be hard pressed to not be very happy with their network performance.

The downside is they are a victim of their success. A lot of bandwidth heavy traffic has moved to using Cogent and as a result peering congestion to the "eyeball" networks of Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, Centurylink/Qwest, Cox, Time Warner Cable, etc. can be pretty bad a lot of the time. You will see this in greatly increased latency times and sometimes with packet loss. For example what normally might be a 10ms path turns into 50-80ms.

If you use Cogent transit as part of a BGP blend and have a dynamic routing solution in your network, such as Noction, Internap FCP of Cisco PfR, then you will probably be pretty happy. If you are single homed with Cogent on any latency sensitive application then your chances for happiness goes down.

I haven't had any issues with Zayo and a decent amount of my customers request x-connects to them. I operate out of 600 W 7th Street, Los Angeles.

To those who have used some of the carriers that have been discussed in this thread --

Which of them use IRR route objects to update their BGP prefix filters? Like, when I need to announce some new prefixes, I have to inform a couple of my transits to update their filters manually. However, with NTT, they get my new prefixes automatically from the route objects I create, and update their filters accordingly (automatically, I presume).

I really like this feature of NTT and it would be a selling point to me if a new carrier I pick up also did this.