Exclamation My sad experience with Dacentec

Well, just bought a 32GB machine from Dacentec, their prices are good, so why not give a try?

I installed a few clients on the machine, and was using to host Minecraft Servers. Since I was receiving alot of questions about DDoS Protection performance and being advertised 1GB connection, I decided to make a 30 seconds Stress Test on my Dacentec Dedicated using a Stress Test Service.

Well, in less then 10 seconds my server went down... I m unable to acess my SSH or Reboot the System from their Client Panel...

I contact the support and the Techinician Jesse gives me this response:
    Hello,

The IP was automatically null-routed due to DDoS. The null will automatically be lifted after three hours. For each time a DDoS is detected, the length of the null route will be doubled.

Please be aware that intentional DDoS attacks are a violation of your service agreement, and can lead to termination of your services.

http://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill...ntec%20v2.html

http://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill...onditions.html

So, if someone buys a Dedicated on Dacentec and get's atacked, you will be blocked for 3 hours, if someone atacks again, 6... and again... 12....

Their protection is not block the ATACKERS IP, their protection is BLOCK YOUR DEDICATED IP!

Well, I expect to get blocked to acess my data if I m in a Shared Host not a Dedicated Server.

Well, that's my experience with Dacentec so far...

Wanted to share with you guys.
    Last edited by FelipeK; 01-17-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FelipeK View Post
    So, if someone buys a Dedicated on Dacentec and get's atacked, you will be blocked for 3 hours, if someone atacks again, 6... and again... 9....
    3...6....9...? (12).

Most hosts will want to protect their network against ddos, maybe work with them for some additional protection.

DediPort,

I understand the point in protect their Network, but it was a simple Stresser, simply restrict the atacker's IP would have worked. I worked with alot of Datacenters and even the cheaper ones as OVH and Server4You block the ATACKER not the client.

Btw, their advise as "additional protection" is cloudlfare lol

p.s: Edited the 9, sorry

It's fairly common to nullroute the customers ip address to eliminate any traffic from reaching the network. Fastest and easiest way.
    Premium Quality | Norway, USA, Nigeria | Since 2006
    Virtual servers | Dedicated servers | Colocation
    99.99% Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Tech Support | Blazing Fast Network

I do agree with you, it is strange practice to suspend a client's port for so long, did they remove the block on request?

I would never suggest cloudflare as a ddos protection, although it would work.

There are a number of great DDoS defense companies out there. Black Lotus, CNServers, Awknet and services like Cloudflare.

There are quite a few hosts that combine our services with DDoS protection from another company.

We don't offer budget servers with DDoS filtering.
    cloud | hosting | email | network
    got.net order
    ──────────────

Quote Originally Posted by dacentec View Post
    There are a number of great DDoS defense companies out there. Black Lotus, CNServers, Awknet and services like Cloudflare.

There are quite a few hosts that combine our services with DDoS protection from another company.

Well said. And as the OP mentioned on the first post. "The prices is great" so i won't expect DDOS protection from budget providers.

Quote Originally Posted by DediPort View Post
    I do agree with you, it is strange practice to suspend a client's port for so long, did they remove the block on request?

I would never suggest cloudflare as a ddos protection, although it would work.
    unfortunately not, in Jesse words:
    I apologize, but our DDoS protection system is automated and will release the null route after a set amount of time. This is to protect our network as a whole from attacks. If you require additional DDoS protection, I would suggest a service such as Cloud Flare.
    So I will have to wait the time.

As for the Cloudflare, most of the users in Minecraft are from 12-16 years old, and CDN resolvers are pretty easy to find. Most of then will bypass Cloudflare with ease.

I would prefer to just get a refund from Dacentec and get this server to somewhere else, since in their Terms and Conditions it's especified that they have to provide the services that I bought.

Since I know this is not happening, all I have to do is wait to Dacentec stop the null-route so I can backup my files.

ranvik, as I said, its common in large atacks that may not be block (which is not my case, since they didn't even tried to block the atacker), I don't know what Datacenter you use but in my experience with Singlehop, OVH, Server4You, Limestone this didn't happened...

In my honest opinion, you have actually got the service you have purchased.

I would not expect any ddos protection on a self managed server, unless you have paid extra for a hardware firewall etc.

If this was a managed solution I would say different.

So you denial of service attack your own server, then complain about the provider here to try and elicit an undeserved refund?

Sorry, but you aren't going to get much sympathy here.

Quote Originally Posted by dacentec View Post

Ok, fair enough, as I said before, most CDN's wouldn't help in my case.

But why can't the block at least whitelist my IP? Or since I informed that I was responsible, allow the IP to get back online?

donmhico, again, OVH proved to be pretty good in handling this kind of things with a very good price, but you are right, I shouldn't expect much, but it's good to inform people who are unware, since many Minecraft Hosts are currently hosted in Dacentec, I m also the owner of the major portal of Minecraft in my country and a good number of our users uses Dacentec Services without knowing the fragility.

Strange part, I tested my friend Dacentec Dedicated with the same Stress test, it wasn't block...

Quote Originally Posted by qps View Post
    So you denial of service attack your own server, then complain about the provider here to try and elicit an undeserved refund?

Sorry, but you aren't going to get much sympathy here.
    Could you tell me how you test your service security agains't atacks?

And again, was a simple stress test that I actually use to test the connection of Shared Hosts without problem.

And I m not trying to get sympathy, just stating the facts, if I m wrong in your eyes, ok, I was only looking for the benefit of my clients using a server that can handle a simple stress test.

Quote Originally Posted by DediPort View Post
    In my honest opinion, you have actually got the service you have purchased.

I would not expect any ddos protection on a self managed server, unless you have paid extra for a hardware firewall etc.

If this was a managed solution I would say different.
    Yes, you are right, as I said, it was wrong to expect this kind of service.

But again, there's people that are not aware of this...

they dont advertise ddos protetion right? so dont expect it
    if u need DDOS protected server go to company who ADVERTISE IT and dont assume all datacenter would have it

Quote Originally Posted by FelipeK View Post
    Could you tell me how you test your service security agains't atacks?

And again, was a simple stress test that I actually use to test the connection of Shared Hosts without problem.

And I m not trying to get sympathy, just stating the facts, if I m wrong in your eyes, ok, I was only looking for the benefit of my clients using a server that can handle a simple stress test.
    Yes, you are in the wrong here. Many providers who saw this type of activity would have reacted more harshly to your actions.

You are not due a refund. If you're not happy with the service you are receiving, cancel and move on to another provider.

Quote Originally Posted by qps View Post
    Yes, you are in the wrong here. Many providers who saw this type of activity would have reacted more harshly to your actions.

You are not due a refund. If you're not happy with the service you are receiving, cancel and move on to another provider.
    You sound a bit rude, but again, it's your opinion

Again, Many providers that I know would react much better to this but this, but I m not here to discuss the right or wrong, I m just stating my case for future references about Dacentec.

Everytime I see a new WebHost company, I look at WebHostTalk to see possible problems, and this post serves to the Minecraft Community understand that Dacentec may not be a viable option for GameServers.

About the "move to another provider", you can read again my last response if you want, I have to get backup of my servers, which is not possible in the moment.

But I want your opinion in something, if you have a dedicated machine and some kid with his own computer atacks your server 8 times in one month, making your IP being Null-Route for 32 days. Would you think you are getting your services? Including the Interconnection?

Well, my IP is now back online and acessible

I would like say sorry to Dacentec, as mentioned by other users, it was wrong from my part to test the network agains't a stress test. I really didn't knew that this would affect my services in this way.

I will be taking measures to migrate my files and maybe use this machine for other purposes.

Thank you

OK, you committed an illegal action (DDoS is illegal in the US) and then think you are within reason?

I'd be furious and it's dumb they pass it to the customer you pay x100's a month and and as soon as you get it now money in the wind. Granted **** happens I hope you get things worked out.