Enom - chicken or the egg paradox? Any experience?

Hi all,

Today we got a request by a client of ours to send him auth code to transfer domain away. After authenticating client, we logged into Enom to send auth code.

However, client called us back that he has not received any auth code. The case is, e-mail of the owner-c does not exist for a long looong time.

Oh well, not a problem at all. We asked client to send us new one and he did. Went back to Enom, edited domain and set new e-mail address for owner-c. And now comes the issue.

Enom stated, that they have sent e-mail to _old_ owner-c e-mail address to verify it. Wait. Old? What?
    Further more, it also stated that failure to confirm change withing 7 days will result in NO changes at all? What?

Also, on this page:

http://www.enom.com/help/raa-faq.aspx

it says:

"Why was my domain suspended?
    A Registered Name Holder's willful provision of inaccurate or unreliable information, its willful failure to update information provided to Registrar within seven (7) days of any change, or its failure to respond for over fifteen (15) days to inquiries by Registrar concerning the accuracy of contact details associated with the Registered Name Holder's registration shall constitute a material breach of the Registered Name Holder-registrar contract and be a basis for suspension and/or cancellation of the Registered Name registration."

So, to summon things up;
    after updating owner-c details (e-mail) to be correct, Enom will be kind enough to keep domain active for another week before suspending it?

Have I missed something here? Has anyone had any experience with this issue since new RAA rules become effective this year? We have filed ticket with Enom, but from our experience it will take at least 3 to 5 brainless predefined replies before someone actually reads our question...

Thanx!

Well, some Registrars do some validation before changing the contact details. With GoDaddy for example, if you change the owner-c (Administrative/Registrant Contact) name, they will not allow you to transfer the domain away for another 60 days.

This is done for security, but sometimes it seems that it is another way to "block" the domain at their end.
    Last edited by CD Burnt; 01-17-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
    WebTuga Hosting - Portuguese Shared, Virtual and Dedicated Web Hosting
    CloudFire WebHosting - European Low Cost Cloud WebHosting

@SmilieBG, Please update us on what the outcome of this is. I am also a eNom reseller, and really interested in what eNom support had to say about this. Thanks!

@about: will do, we have exchanged two e-mails / tickets already, but no definite conclusion yet Will keep this thread updated as soon as I get any info.

Thank you for keeping us updated! However I am really confused about what you say. I have read all information from eNom about the new verification procedure, and from that information, I understand it that way that when email adress on owner contact changes, the verification email will be sent to the new email adress, not the old. But after reading your post, I am afraid that I am wrong about that.

That is how I understood it as well.
    However, on two separate occasions:

1. when changing e-mail address, confirmation on the website;
    2. listing of ongoing owner verification's;

we see *old* e-mail address. Thus, I am confused. Still no (reasonable) answer from Enom...

Just as I was afraid of - Enom is sending owner verification e-mail to the **OLD** e-mail address.

So, in the scenario that you need to update owner's e-mail address to get authentication code, all you will be doing is scheduling shutting down of the domain within 7 days of the change of the e-mail address.

Enom just confirmed that they are not able to deliver e-mail to **OLD** e-mail address.

Do I need say more?!

Quote Originally Posted by SmilieBG View Post
    Just as I was afraid of - Enom is sending owner verification e-mail to the **OLD** e-mail address.

So, in the scenario that you need to update owner's e-mail address to get authentication code, all you will be doing is scheduling shutting down of the domain within 7 days of the change of the e-mail address.

Enom just confirmed that they are not able to deliver e-mail to **OLD** e-mail address.

Do I need say more?!
    I'm confused. Your 1st & 3rd lines seem contradictory.

@Techno:

1. we changed owner-c e-mail address because old was deprecated;
    2. Enom sends verification mail to old e-mail address to confirm change;
    3. old e-mail address, as it does not exist any more can not verify it;
    4. Enom, within 7 days, as directed by ICANN disables / shuts down domain name.

Clear?

Enom just confirmed this!
    They have deleted our change requested as of now, requesting us to file new change request.

I just do not believe this! How far have we gone in this administration

Btw, is it legal to UNDO change of domain e-mail address without request?

I mean then I would just for the fun change Google's mail address, right?

After many (5+) e-mail back and forth, after Enom cancelling owner e-mail change and us filing a new one - finally they have sent verification mail to the new e-mail address.

Somehow I do believe that they have not yet mastered the process themselves.

Anyhow, within the given timeframe (7 days) we do seem to be on the right track.

I shall follow up this tomorrow with our (new) client to make sure e-mail has been received and acknowledged.

Thread will be updated accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by SmilieBG View Post
    I mean then I would just for the fun change Google's mail address, right?
    In case you've missed it, that's really the point. Suppose some malicious hacker stole your login details for a domain and changed the admin email to their own, effectively stealing your domain name. This happens far too often. So of course the registrar should try to verify changes with the owner using the *old* email address.

If the old email is no longer usable then there should be some other process to verify your identity, and apparently you've now gone through this. There's nothing wrong here, except for the domain owner failing to keep his details updated with a current email.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

@foobic: I do understand the need for the check. This check has always been delegated to hosting / domain providers.

Also, they have never been very eager to make sure 100% of e-mail addresses were 100% correct. And now, 'out of the blue' we must comply with this.

Again, Enom has only cancelled the change of owner-c e-mail (verification process has been cancelled). We requested then new change and according to their support, new change has trigger e-mail to new customer.

Still, if this does not work, I am not sure how we will ever be able to change e-mail address to a valid one. Probably by sending copy of passport or something to Enom by fax?! I mean, it's 2014 for Christ's sake!

Let me just conclude this thread;

We have finally managed to get owner-c e-mail address changed. To sum things up.

First change request resulted in e-mail being sent to old (non-working) e-mail address. After couple of support tickets with eNom, they have withdrawn / cancelled ongoing change request.

We have filed another change request, which this time went to new e-mail address.

Our client has already confirmed / verified change and we are now able to gain authentication code for transferring this domain.

My best guess (and it is only guess) is that eNom's process has gone wild somewhere, upon our ticket process / code has been adjusted and once we requested new change it worked as it should have in the first place.

Hope this thread shall help other people in the future