Web Hosting Solution Timeline

I noticed that there are many new users in the CrocWeb downtime issue today, so I thought of sharing to the newbies how I handle issues like this.

1. Offsite back-up - for sure you read this many times but read it again Your panic will surely lessen if you know that you have this.

2. Uptime monitoring - always monitor your service uptime.

If my website is down for the last 15-30 minutes it's important for me to know the issue at hand. After 1-hour I expect that my provider has solution and this is also the time that I will proactively notify my clients via email about the situation.

Clients are appreciative if you inform them because you are also preparing them whether to leave you or stay with you - depends on your relationship with them.

If this is hardware issue and the provider says that they need to do the famous "fsck" or replace something - I usually give them 12-hours to finish the job; because I expect them to have backup hardware.

If this is DDoS - I usually give them 24-48 hours.

Most importantly, I expect them to communicate on certain interval (maybe hourly, every 3-5 hours).

My decision is always based on the performance of the provider. I do not leave immediately if for 1-yr this is there only booboo but if this is there 3rd long downtime in one year...adios amigo!

Migrate your backups and tell the customer that you will provide instruction later to retrieve their old email from the old server and proactively offer them to restore the previous website if they like.

If you stay in this business...you will learn that many providers are really not concern and they simply want to get your money so be ready...backup, backup and backup.

Hope this helps
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Very usefully information and I have to agree 100% with you on the backups

Always backup your data!
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

Shared Hosting customers are actually quite anxious when they experience performance issues. I do not even speak about real downtime. A hardware failure usually takes 1 - 4 hours to address, especially when there's need for replacement of a faulty component. I would add that the technologies allow for providers to offer virtually "Zero" downtime in the Shared hosting niche as well, but not when it comes to cheap "unlimited" overselling services. CDNs and various failover options can be used to keep services online when there's a failure on a stand-alone server.

When it comes to data backup and other things in the opening thread, one would discuss the time a provider needs to fix a technical problem. Other than that I agree with "Yujin".
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Even if there is a DDOS such as this one. The major thing for any company to do, is to keep customers in the loop. Look at the massive thread on this site, CW didn't do a very good job keeping the customers informed. It takes about 2 minutes every hour or so and you have many more happy customers. You don't even need to have much of progress, if your customers realize that you care about them, and you didn't "forget" about them, they are much more likely to stay in an unfortunate event such as this one.
    Winged Hosting LLC | Reliable Web Hosting! | Personal Support!| Inexpensive quality alternatives
    █Personalized 24/7 Support! | Up to 30 Day Money Back
    █Learn More About Us!

Quote Originally Posted by WingedHosting View Post
    Even if there is a DDOS such as this one. The major thing for any company to do, is to keep customers in the loop. Look at the massive thread on this site, CW didn't do a very good job keeping the customers informed. It takes about 2 minutes every hour or so and you have many more happy customers. You don't even need to have much of progress, if your customers realize that you care about them, and you didn't "forget" about them, they are much more likely to stay in an unfortunate event such as this one.
    True.

Been in the industry for a modest time and communication is very essential. Not to brag or something but I already experienced worst downtime from hardware failure to DDoS and customers are appreciative if you inform them and if you're honest with them. Not like what CW did, almost no communication and that's very unprofessional.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Nice post @Yujin, the saying "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" is very fitting to webhosting. Your level of preparedness in the face of downtime allows you to be cool and calculated when needed, a benefit to both yourself and your clients.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    I noticed that there are many new users in the CrocWeb downtime issue today, so I thought of sharing to the newbies how I handle issues like this.

1. Offsite back-up - for sure you read this many times but read it again Your panic will surely lessen if you know that you have this.

2. Uptime monitoring - always monitor your service uptime.
    These are the essentials. We use pingdom for our monitoring which is pretty cool.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com