Question File Sharing Website Server Specs!!!

Hi All,

First i apologize if i am posting in the wrong forum!!

I will set up a File Sharing Website and i would like to know if i made the right choice with the server i bought, the site is going to be like Rapidgator and Rapidshare but of course on a lower scale .

I bought a HP ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Server

Specs:

Standard Memory: RAM 128 GB will upgarde to 356 soon!!
    Storage: 54TB
    Processor: 2X Intel Xeon E5 2609 v2 2.5 GHz Quad core

My Internet connection 2x 1Gbps unlimited Bandwith

• Product Type: Server
    • Standard Memory: 128 GB
    • Operating System: No
    • Form Factor: Tower
    • Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    • Processor Speed: 2.50 GHz
    • Processor Type: Xeon
    • Product Line: ProLiant
    • RAID Levels: 0, 1, 1+0
    • Product Series: ML350p G8
    • Rack Height: 5U
    • Brand Name: HP
    • Memory Technology: DDR3 SDRAM
    • Processor Model: E5-2609 v2
    • Memory Standard: DDR3-1600/PC3-12800
    • Height: 18.2
    • Width: 8.6
    • Depth: 29.1
    • Processor Core: Quad-core (4 Core)
    • Green Compliant: Yes
    • Memory Card Reader: Yes
    • 64-bit Processing: Yes
    • Processor Manufacturer: Intel
    • Chipset Manufacturer: Intel
    • Chipset Model: C600
    • Optical Drive Type: DVD-Reader
    • Optical Media Supported: DVD-ROM
    • QuickPath Interconnect: 6.40 GT/s
    • Hyper-Threading: No
    • RAID Supported: Yes
    • Ethernet Technology: Gigabit Ethernet
    • Remote Management: Yes
    • Product Family: ProLiant ML350p G8

what type of storage ? sas? sata? enterprise sata?
    and in what data center will you put your server? you need static ip or dns service if you would host on your side.

Quote Originally Posted by jetorbit View Post
    what type of storage ? sas? sata? enterprise sata?
    and in what data center will you put your server? you need static ip or dns service if you would host on your side.
    Will go with SAS, i have a static IP at home and have 2x 1000 Mbps fiber plans that go to Download Speed 1000Mbps Upload Speed 500Mbps each line.

I hope its enough to have at least 200 user at the same time in the website!!

Will you be using this server to only store the uploaded files or also host your website on it? If you will be hosting your website on it, I would highly advise getting an SSD just for your MySQL database. I wouldn't feel safe having my site's database stored on the same drives as uploaded files

I assume you will also be using RAID, right? RAID 10?
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

You've got all the hardware ready, what about the homepage/site? custom code or buy upload script?

Quote Originally Posted by jetorbit View Post
    You've got all the hardware ready, what about the homepage/site? custom code or buy upload script?

I bought the script from http://sibsoft.net/xfilesharing.html seems to be quite reliable! and they have all the mods already!

But i am still open to other scripts if you know about any!!

Quote Originally Posted by merismus View Post
    I bought the script from http://sibsoft.net/xfilesharing.html seems to be quite reliable! and they have all the mods already!

But i am still open to other scripts if you know about any!!
    +1 for XFileSharing. Very powerful and reliable script.

If you are going to use this script, host your website on another server and just use the server you got for file uploads/storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoork Hosting View Post
    Will you be using this server to only store the uploaded files or also host your website on it? If you will be hosting your website on it, I would highly advise getting an SSD just for your MySQL database. I wouldn't feel safe having my site's database stored on the same drives as uploaded files

I assume you will also be using RAID, right? RAID 10?
    Thanks a lot for that, yes its a good idea that you provided me with.
    I will buy a SSD for the Database in that case. 500GB should be enough for a start!

In regards to the RAID i was thinking RAID 5 because one of my concern is the loss of 50% of the total storage if i run the RAID 10!

In regards to the RAID i was thinking RAID 5 because one of my concern is the loss of 50% of the total storage if i run the RAID 10!
    In my opinion the loss of storage is worth the extra security. Do you plan on using any encryption algorithms upon uploading? could be a option instead of raid 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Steadyresources View Post
    In my opinion the loss of storage is worth the extra security. Do you plan on using any encryption algorithms upon uploading? could be a option instead of raid 10.

To be honest no but will look into it, you know of any reliable source where i could get info for the encryption algorithms?

There is a lot of algorithms out there. the problem you will end up facing is there isn't many file hosts that use this method. So it will be something you will have to either code your self or pay someone that has the skill to get this task done. Quite frankly it might not be the easiest thing to incorporate but it would give you a slight edge on the competitors. If you google encryption algorithms you should be able to find one that would be a good fit. But like i said incorporating it into the upload box and figuring out how to unencrypt the file upon download might be the difficult part.

Thanks a lot for that, yes its a good idea that you provided me with.
    I will buy a SSD for the Database in that case. 500GB should be enough for a start!

I recommend hosting the site itself on a separate server and using the server you bought for storage. The XFileSharing script has a module that allows you to host your website on its own server and then link storage servers to it. They way in the future you can simply add additional storage servers.

The way I would personally set this up would be to have a powerful server with SSD to host the site and then for storage server have a a mid range CPU such as E3 with 32 GB of RAM, SATA or SAS in RAID 10. You don't really need a powerful server for storage, as XFileSharing will transfer the files over via FTP in real-time to the storage server when users upload them through your site. So resource consumption should be minimal.

I recommend hosting the site itself on a separate server and using the server you bought for storage. The XFileSharing script has a module that allows you to host your website on its own server and then link storage servers to it. They way in the future you can simply add additional storage servers.

The way I would personally set this up would be to have a powerful server with SSD to host the site and then for storage server have a a mid range CPU such as E3 with 32 GB of RAM, SATA or SAS in RAID 10. You don't really need a powerful server for storage, as XFileSharing will transfer the files over via FTP in real-time to the storage server when users upload them through your site. So resource consumption should be minimal.

Thanks "Snoork Hosting" I understand and agree with you, its a very good idea what you saying!!!

One more question is the server i bought "HP Proliant ML350p" too much in order to host the website alone and i change for a smaller one or is it just good enough?

Thanks "Snoork Hosting" I understand and agree with you, its a very good idea what you saying!!!

One more question is the server i bought "HP Proliant ML350p" too much in order to host the website alone and i change for a smaller one or is it just good enough?
    Sure thing

To host the site itself, I would say that server is an overkill at least at the beginning. But if you are expecting fast growth and lots of traffic, then it should be fine, but I doubt you'll even utilize 75% of that memory.

XFileSharing is very well coded script and if you get that Nginx module, you don't need such a powerful server as resource usage will be fairly low. You may even get away with a E3 processor, 32 GB of RAM, and SSD.

For storage server you also don't need anything extreme, as it will just store files. As you probably won't be backing up the machine, I would advise going for RAID 10.

Talking

Sure thing

To host the site itself, I would say that server is an overkill at least at the beginning. But if you are expecting fast growth and lots of traffic, then it should be fine, but I doubt you'll even utilize 75% of that memory.

XFileSharing is very well coded script and if you get that Nginx module, you don't need such a powerful server as resource usage will be fairly low. You may even get away with a E3 processor, 32 GB of RAM, and SSD.

For storage server you also don't need anything extreme, as it will just store files. As you probably won't be backing up the machine, I would advise going for RAID 10.
    Will start the setup on monday!!!

Do you recon that 480GB SSD is enough for the Website server?

Will start the setup on monday!!!

Do you recon that 480GB SSD is enough for the Website server?
    Awesome!

You will only be having a database that will grow on the site, so you'll probably be safe with 240 GB SSD. If you do find a discount on a 480 GB SSD, get it

I know NewEgg is running specials on SSD almost every single day.

Awesome!

You will only be having a database that will grow on the site, so you'll probably be safe with 240 GB SSD. If you do find a discount on a 480 GB SSD, get it

I know NewEgg is running specials on SSD almost every single day.

Thank you very much for ll your advices, i really appreciate. Will let you know once the website is up!!!

Hi All,

Just received my 3 Servers, bit late but as we say itsbetter late than never!!

Just to give you an idea of my 3 servers sepcs:

1st Server: Main Webserver - HP Proliant Ml350e 24GB ECC RAM, Processor Intel Xeon E5-2429 1.9Ghz, SSD 360GB .

2nd Server = Storage Server: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 Micro ATX Motherboard with 16GB ECC RAM, Processor:E3-1220 V2, 3.10Ghz, BOOT Drive= 1 SSD Intel X25-M 160 GB, Finally 20TB SATA HD of Space in Raid 5.

3rd and last server for Database only: Dell PowerEdge 1950 II 3.5" Server, 2X Intel® Xeon® Processor E5335 (8M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 16GB, 2x 73GB 15k SAS or i change for a 480GB SSD Drive.

Please let me know what you think about all the Hardware so far and if this is enough to start the website for a maximum of 500 Registered members?

Thanks

Hi All,

Just received my 3 Servers, bit late but as we say itsbetter late than never!!

Just to give you an idea of my 3 servers sepcs:

1st Server: Main Webserver - HP Proliant Ml350e 24GB ECC RAM, Processor Intel Xeon E5-2429 1.9Ghz, SSD 360GB .

2nd Server = Storage Server: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 Micro ATX Motherboard with 16GB ECC RAM, Processor:E3-1220 V2, 3.10Ghz, BOOT Drive= 1 SSD Intel X25-M 160 GB, Finally 20TB SATA HD of Space in Raid 5.

3rd and last server for Database only: Dell PowerEdge 1950 II 3.5" Server, 2X Intel® Xeon® Processor E5335 (8M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 16GB, 2x 73GB 15k SAS or i change for a 480GB SSD Drive.

Please let me know what you think about all the Hardware so far and if this is enough to start the website for a maximum of 500 Registered members?

Thanks

it looks perfect to me. Can you please tell me from where you bought these servers and how much does they cost. Because i already started Filehosting site but now i need unmetered BW server with good specs. thnx