reliablesite.net SSD Performance

I ordered a server from reliablesite.net 2 days ago and the server got setup tonight. I ordered a Core i7 with 16GB of ram and a 64GB SSD. I ran some benchmarks on the SSD and i'm wondering a bit about the performance of the SSD. I'm only seeing about 100 MB/s read speed from it with 185 MB/s write speed. It seems odd that it's that low on the read. The SSD is a SanDisk SDSSDP064g.

is anyone else with a reliablesite.net server and a 64GB SSD seeing numbers like this from your SSD?

Code:
     hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
     Timing buffered disk reads: 288 MB in  3.01 seconds =  95.59 MB/sec
    Code:
    dd bs=1M count=512 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    512+0 records in
    512+0 records out
    536870912 bytes (537 MB) copied, 2.92336 s, 184 MB/s
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting

This is a small SSDs, these will typically have lower read/write speeds than larger SSDs. If you are seeing slower reads than writes, then you most likely have another service running in the background.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Looking to switch providers? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

It's possible you're on a SATA II port. Have you opened a ticket to inquire?

Quote Originally Posted by RSNET-John View Post
    This is a small SSDs, these will typically have lower read/write speeds than larger SSDs. If you are seeing slower reads than writes, then you most likely have another service running in the background.
    I looked up the specs and it's 490 MBps/240 MBps, so 185 MBps/100 MBps is quite a performance hit.
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support Enterprise Grade Hardware Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

Quote Originally Posted by RSNET-John View Post
    I do not have anything running on the server. All I did was login and run a few benchmarks once I received the setup email. It's very odd that the reads are lower then the writes when its rated at 390 MB/s

Quote Originally Posted by Steven F View Post
    It's possible you're on a SATA II port. Have you opened a ticket to inquire?

I looked up the specs and it's 490 MBps/240 MBps, so 185 MBps/100 MBps is quite a performance hit.
    I checked and its on a SATA 3 port.

That's definitely odd. I have a server with ReliableSite (One of their $69 deals, can't beat it) and I have a 500GB HDD in it, the read/write is faster than your SSD, soo. Sequential read/write on my 500GB HDD is 139 MB/s read and 136 MB/s write. 512K is 50/52 so it's less, but still pretty good performance in my opinion.

Hopefully if there's any issues it'll be fixed for you, I've never had any issue with ReliableSite so far.
    ExtraVM - 100Gbit+ DDoS Protected OpenVZ & KVM VPS, Minecraft, Dedicated, Web Hosting
    99.9%+ Up-time | 15 Minute Ticket Response | 24/7 U.S. Support | SSD-Only Services
    ≡ Dallas, TX | Montreal, CA | Gravelines, FR | Soon: Sydney, AU; Singapore; Portland, OR; Ashburn, VA

Yeah, something is definitely not right. You should be easily pushing up to 490 MB/s / 240 MB/s.

Can you run this test and paste the results:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    Have ReliableSite run a disk test on the SSD and double check it's in SATA III.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

Yes, re-run the test and make sure you have deleted the previous test file name test.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

Got a reply this morning from them they are swapping out the SSD and doing a reinstall so hopefully it will be much better.

I have a couple servers with reliablesite.net, all equipped with their 1TB SSD. Works really well, seems like something is wrong with that SSD as it's really low.. but glad too see you opened a ticket an hopefully the re-install solve the issue for you.
    TrentaHost INC. | 5 Years Operating | DDOS Protected Network | Multiple Locations | 24/7 Support
    DDOS Protected Web/Reseller/Master - DEDICATED IP | WHMCS | CloudFlare | LiteSpeed | CloudLinux
    DDOS Protected KVM Windows & Linux VPS | 7 Locations | 20GBPS DDOS Protection Windows & Linux VPS
    DDOS Protected Dedicated Servers | 20GBPS DDOS Protection | Control Panel | Price Match Guarantee*

[email protected] [~]# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 1164 MB in 3.00 seconds = 387.59 MB/sec
    [email protected] [~]#

Quote Originally Posted by MR-AJAX View Post
    [email protected] [~]# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 1164 MB in 3.00 seconds = 387.59 MB/sec
    [email protected] [~]#
    Are you also using reliablesite server with SSD disk??
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee

May be this is some cheap Chinese SSD model installed inside a cheap server from somwere of Chinese surburbs...

But yes, most possible solution of this quest - defective benchmark or SSD.

I can't see other solution except these.

I just got the server back with a replacement SSD and OS reinstall and still having the same slow read speed from the SSD. `

hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 290 MB in 3.01 seconds = 96.34 MB/sec
    [[email protected] ~]# hdparm -t /dev/sda

I would definitely have them try using a different cable and sata3 port, I am willing to bet that will make a difference. Its rare but I have seen issues similar to this.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Solutions
    Specializing in Managed SSD VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Rated #1 Provider at Top 20 VPS Providers For Performance
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Quote Originally Posted by dlewis23 View Post
    Got a reply this morning from them they are swapping out the SSD and doing a reinstall so hopefully it will be much better.
    Looks like the issue has been taken care of

Quote Originally Posted by WireNine View Post
    Looks like the issue has been taken care of
    Not exactly. The SSD they replaced it with did the same thing. So we decided to just upgrade it to a 128 GB drive. The put a Toshiba SSD in there and I'm now seeing about 400 MB/s read/write.

Much more happy

Not exactly. The SSD they replaced it with did the same thing. So we decided to just upgrade it to a 128 GB drive. The put a Toshiba SSD in there and I'm now seeing about 400 MB/s read/write.

Much more happy
    Congrats...

reliablesite.net has great support.

Much more happy
    Domain Good - Hosting websites since 2007!
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel | Softaculous | 99.9% Uptime | 24/7 Support | US & EU Server!
    Follow us on Twitter @domaingood | Facebook @domaingood | Google+ @domaingood