Complete noob, no idea where to start. Looking for hosting for small business

Hi everybody, I'll just sum up what I'm looking for. I run a small PC repair business locally and I'm just looking to stat a small website to direct customers to with my business card for information/appointments. Ideally I'd be setting it up myself. I want to stay away from EIG any help is appreciated.

Summary: need domain and hosting. Ideally under 100$ the first year as I get accustomed to it. I'm in California if location matters. Thanks

Hi, My recommendation:

http://jonesolutions.com/linux.html

see Linux Package A

Stablehost in Phoenix is what I'd use for this.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

With your budget you'll be able to find just the right host for yourself and your business needs. Stay away from any sales or promotions going on that say unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth on the other hand is a little okay to go with depending on the provider and to total use of bandwidth you'll use.

Check the hosting offers out here on WHT be sure to check on WHT and google for any reviews associated with the company you look forward in using for your web hosting needs. Best if luck any more questions feel free to ask here or simply open another thread in the right section

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryServers View Post
    With your budget you'll be able to find just the right host for yourself and your business needs. Stay away from any sales or promotions going on that say unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth on the other hand is a little okay to go with depending on the provider and to total use of bandwidth you'll use.

Check the hosting offers out here on WHT be sure to check on WHT and google for any reviews associated with the company you look forward in using for your web hosting needs. Best if luck any more questions feel free to ask here or simply open another thread in the right section
    Can you justify why to avoid unlimited? It's valid if you suggest to avoid EIG but to stereotype the others is absolutely unjustified.

Quote Originally Posted by JFSG View Post
    Can you justify why to avoid unlimited? It's valid if you suggest to avoid EIG but to stereotype the others is absolutely unjustified.
    Why? Because all it does is cause head aches and frustration when you actually hit your true limit on what ever it is that they host is saying they will give you unlimited but won't.

Ok so when the op goes for a unlimited disk space and bandwidth etc CPU account then uses to much resources as in disk space and gets his account suspended then to top it off if the op doesn't have back ups he'll be in heck of a mess that he could of avoided if he went with a more of a reliable host who dedicated a certain amount of specs to your account and no matter what how much you use if you don't pass your cap then your clean and clear sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaX View Post
    Hi everybody, I'll just sum up what I'm looking for. I run a small PC repair business locally and I'm just looking to stat a small website to direct customers to with my business card for information/appointments. Ideally I'd be setting it up myself. I want to stay away from EIG any help is appreciated.

Summary: need domain and hosting. Ideally under 100$ the first year as I get accustomed to it. I'm in California if location matters. Thanks
    Since you are starting, pretty much any hosts will do (avoiding EIG is a good thing).
    Your budget is more than enough, most basic plans goes from 1$ to 4$/month and a domain is about 10$/year. So you are looking at max ~60$/year.
    Don't have experience with them myself, but heard good thing from FreshRoastedHosting. They are active on this forum.

Good luck.
    Hostabulous 🔗 cPanel (Cloudlinux) & Plesk (Windows DC 2016) Hosting 🔗 R1Soft CDP backups
    No Gimmicks 🍁 Proudly Canadian

I recommend CrocWeb and FreshRoastedHosting you can't go wrong with them guys. Just be aware CrocWeb site isn't loading yet due to a big attack so check the thread here if you would like to keep up-to date: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...40#post8981840

Good luck. And most "Unlimited" hosts are bad, however some are good, be careful if you go down that road, check reviews and check to ensure they aren't EIG.

Hey everybody thanks for all of the responses. I didn't expect so many in such a short amount of time. Having looked around a bit here and elsewhere I have decided to go with freshroastedhosting but I have one question. Would the current roasted plan at 5.99 monthly fit my needs? It looks like the next plan up is a huge upgrade but I'm not trying to spend more than I have to. Thanks again so far on the help. Also, should I get my domain through them as well or would it be worth the time to get it cheaper elsewhere and transfer it?

Hey everybody thanks for all of the responses. I didn't expect so many in such a short amount of time. Having looked around a bit here and elsewhere I have decided to go with freshroastedhosting but I have one question. Would the current roasted plan at 5.99 monthly fit my needs? It looks like the next plan up is a huge upgrade but I'm not trying to spend more than I have to. Thanks again so far on the help. Also, should I get my domain through them as well or would it be worth the time to get it cheaper elsewhere and transfer it?

Yes the plan will be fine for a start up, I cant see you using more then 3 GB diskspace with a new website. Is it a CMS or?

The only downside to that package is it will only allow you to host 1 web site, so if you wanted to get your teeth into another web site you would need to upgrade.

Regarding the domain, its always best to get your domain separate from your hosting company. This is just to really cover yourself in case anything goes wrong with your hosting provider, for your domain check out namecheap

I definitely recommend CrocWeb. I was in the same position a couple years ago and joined their Egg Croc plan. It has been fantastic to me.

This week Crocweb has had some down time (the first in a VERY) long time but other than that for 3 years it has been fantastic to me.

Over the years I have also installed more complex scripts and their support team has been VERY VERY willing to help. And very quick support. this is what you need.

Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by comfreak View Post
    I definitely recommend CrocWeb. I was in the same position a couple years ago and joined their Egg Croc plan. It has been fantastic to me.

This week Crocweb has had some down time (the first in a VERY) long time but other than that for 3 years it has been fantastic to me.

Over the years I have also installed more complex scripts and their support team has been VERY VERY willing to help. And very quick support. this is what you need.

Good luck to you.
    I don't think all of their servers are still back up.

Quote Originally Posted by WireNine View Post
    I don't think all of their servers are still back up.
    I'd check on the outage thread here for an update. IIRC they're fully back online now. We used to have a few special-needs clients (Litespeed + SSD) on one of their reseller accounts, and we couldn't be happier. Their support was great!

And thanks for the kudos, everyone! That always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by comfreak View Post
    I don't think much about 3 years.
    I have been with Pair.com over 10 years and haven't had an outage. [knock on wood]
    I bounced around from the hosts du jour that are mentioned here on this forum.
    I remember when A Small Orange was touted like Crocweb is now.
    What a joke that was.

CrocWeb, StableHost, HawkHost, BigScoots - you can't go wrong with any of them.
    yo what's up

My suggestion is to get your domain on a registrar (such as godaddy, enom, etc) and get your host somewhere else, that will give you the freedom of move from host to host (in case that you need it) and keep the domain registered on the same place.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel@Sparta View Post
    CrocWeb, StableHost, HawkHost, BigScoots - you can't go wrong with any of them.
    Thanks for the recommendation!
    BigScoots.com - 98% of Clients Stay With Us Forever
    Offering Fully Managed Shared & Reseller Hosting
    Specializing in Managed WordPress, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    Opened 2010 & 100% Positively Reviewed Since | 100% Network Uptime

Domain? Check. Host? Check. Now what?

Hi everyone,

Playing necro on my own thread, I finally got my domain name registered through godaddy and signed up for hosting through crocweb. I have absolutely no idea how to access my site from crocwebs cpanel. Still a noob here. Thanks in advance. I'll do my best to answer any questions on things I did not clarify. Thank you all.

Regards,

have you configured your domain's nameservers?

have you uploaded your site's files to the public_html directory?

Hi everyone,

Playing necro on my own thread, I finally got my domain name registered through godaddy and signed up for hosting through crocweb. I have absolutely no idea how to access my site from crocwebs cpanel. Still a noob here. Thanks in advance. I'll do my best to answer any questions on things I did not clarify. Thank you all.

Regards,
    Hello,

Thank you for choosing CrocWeb. Please submit a ticket to our support department from your client area and we will assist you.
    CrocWeb Cloud - High Availability Cloud Website Hosting
    > NVMe Storage, LSCache, Redis, Global CDN, Unlimited SSL
    > Triple Data Replication, Automated Server Failover
    > Bad Bots, Malware, DDoS Protection