Outsourced Support? Good or Bad?

Hello,
    I am a relatively new web host. I am asking for the benefit of myself and others on WHT about outsourced support. Obviously its pretty hard for new startups to offer 24/7 help desk support, however these days its more important than ever to provide this in order to keep customers. I have researched many different options for this including Support Monk. What are peoples opinions to outsourcing support? and experiences? Its definitely the only way I can guarantee 24/7 support. Does anyone have any other recommendations or outsourcing companies to use?

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but couldn't find this thread anywhere being discussed recently, so thought s fresh look into would be good!

Thanks for your help!
    Ross

I think that outsourced support is better than nothing but above all would be staff working at your own company. I haven't worked with outsourcing companies, so I can't give much of a recommendation.

I did, however, once have Xieles fix a server issue a few years ago. Their communication was OK but they were fast to fix the issue. Based on this experience, I'd say that Xieles would probably be a good provider if you're low budget

Moved > Managed Hosting and Services.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Here is a list of some companies that offer technical support services - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/C...g_tech_support

Out Sourcing to can definitely help keep you competitive in this ever dynamic hosting marker place. Keeping costs down while providing your customers a high level of support is paramount to success, and if you are a new or growing company then Out Sourcing is the obvious solution.

While I do agree that outsourced support is better than none, i strongly suggest that you "test" their knowledge, friendliness and professionalism. You have to spend a relatively long period and an amount of money to find the company that best suits your needs, although I do think that not all techs are equally talented. You also gotta "test" how professionally their managers react when it comes to complain/feedback and how willingly they bear the responsibilities. Immatured companies tend to defend their support techs and claim that they know what they are doing even when you personally already found out what weren't done properly. Also, no offense to anyone, companies that claimed themselves to be "all Americans" or "American based" company doesn't mean they are really that good either. I am saying these based on my poor experience with one of such companies, but I wouldn't write in public which company is this, as I do not want to defame, maybe it's just me who nitpicky. But i believe if you want to success, you'll have to be serious with what you are doing and not choosing a company perfunctorily.

Outsourcing your support has pros and cons. As mentioned above it is better to have some kind of support than none. But make sure you test ride the support services and look around for customer reviews before hiring anyone. There are few popular ones like BobCares. If you have decent money to spend you can consider contacting BobCares. They are quite a big firm now and provide a decent service as compared to other outsourcing firms.
    www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

1st of all its good to see you are actually looking into supporting true 24/7 support, there are many hosts who advertise this but never live up to it.

Now outsourcing is going to have some pros and cons, the plus side is your support system is manned 24/7 and will be able to cover times you are not available. The downside to outsourcing is you may lose that personal touch when dealing with clients, however if you are available most of the time apart from when your getting some sleep I don't see it being an issue.

I believe there are both pros and cons to outsourcing support. A pro is that you actually can provide 24/7 support that many web hosts don't actually live up to. A negative is that the support a customer receives may not be the best, so you should test the knowledge and responses of the outsourcing company before deciding to go with them.

As I see it, now it could be good solution to try outsourcing support, but before you have to find experienced company with good feedback from it's clients.

Also you have to make "plan b" if something will go wrong way. If it will be goode managed, outsourcing support could be best solution...

How you guy give them access to WHMCS, server root password? Secure?

Companies will require login information to the servers that your customers are located on. Since you are sharing secure information you will want to make sure the company you are doing work with is reputable and also comes with some kind of contractual agreement that will protect both your data and customers information. It is pretty standard practice to have NDAs (Non-Disclosure Agreements) with companies, if the companies you are looking at don't offer this I would be hesitant to provide such sensitive information.

I would prefer inhouse support. Just hire individuals (local or remote) and that will do.

In house staff is a great, but there is a much higher cost, such as Human Resources, Hiring, Taxes, 24/7 coverage. If you are wanting true 24/7 coverage you will need a minimum of 3 full time for Mon-Fri and 2 part time for Sat-Sun. For small and growing companies that kind of costs could remove most, if not all, profits in some companies cases. If you want to offer 9-5 Mon-Fri support then a dedicated person or two would work, but in this industry not offering true 24/7 support you are hamstringing yourself and losing out on potential customers and customer retention.
    Last edited by TouchSupport; 01-17-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Outsourced support provides better security and professional management rather than hiring individual remote techs. You basically have no control on remote techs in any way. Also, they may be working on more than one projects at a time.
    || Tecsys Solutions LLC | Outperforming the Performers!! ||
    || Outsourced Server Management and Technical Support Solutions ||
    || Now Offering Secure Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers specially setup for Hosting Providers ||
    || https://www.24x7TechnicalSupport.net ||

I've never really had outsource any support to my clients but it is a good solution if your not able to provide the support. 24/7 support is a wonderful feature you just need to make sure you choose a healthy and good provider who can meet all your needs.

Also yea above all the only other thing better than outsource support is having your own in house support and sales team.

Personally I would never go for outsourced support. That's just my opinion though - I always provide the support for any clients - I just feel that way you know exactly what is being said to the customer and it's handled exactly to your standards. This isn't saying that outsourced support cannot be a good option - its just my personal opinion.

Like others have said though - if you cannot provide the 24hour support then I'm sure it would be an option worth exploring. As I have never used it I cannot comment.

Its pretty plain and simple, if you out source then you go by the companies reputation. If there is a company that is built on filling the requirements of other companies out sourcing needs then they will give you top performance. Dont go with a fly by night company that wasnt form a week ago.

The only way for a startup to offer 24x7 support is to outsource, there's just no other way. Having an in-house 24x7 staff is a very large expense and not necessary when you have no customers yet.

Outsourcing is the only practical solution until you grow large enough to be able to afford an in-house staff.

Of course there are both good and bad companies that provide outsourcing. Do your research to find out which one meets your budget and that has a good feedback and that has been in business long enough to establish a reputation that you can rely on.
    PlatinumServerManagement (also known as PSM)
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 18 years! Currently supporting over 3,000+ servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce & Authorized cPanel Partner.