RAID 10 Verifying too slow

Hi,

I have a server with 8x3TB drives set up in RAID 10. For the last couple of days the RAID's status is set to "VERIFYING" with a very slow progress (currently at 64%). Ever since it started the server is slow and randomly inaccessible.

I have the server for a few months now and it's the first time it does this although RAID is setup to do a verify every week.

All drives report that are OK. The controller is 3ware 9650SE.

Anyone encountered this before? Anything I can do other than wait it out?

Thanks!

I have a 1TBx4 RAID 10 array and when I replaced a bad drive it took well over a day to bring the new drive up to speed.

If it found a bad drive during the verify or a drive kicked offline for a second and is having to rebuild itself, that could take a while with 3TB drives.

That will happen when a raid is rebuilding its self or verifying its data integrity. And with a raid that BIG, its going to take a while. If you are more concerned about performance and you have customers complaining set the verify priority to the lowest or lower setting atleast. Personally I would set it somewhere in the middle.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Solutions
    Specializing in Managed SSD VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Rated #1 Provider at Top 20 VPS Providers For Performance
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Quote Originally Posted by murphyslaw4267 View Post
    I have a 1TBx4 RAID 10 array and when I replaced a bad drive it took well over a day to bring the new drive up to speed.
    I understand that filling up a big drive with data will take time but shouldn't an integrity check take a lot less? The integrity check was scheduled weekly by default and never went on for days or affected performance. That's what got me worried.

Quote Originally Posted by JGoldman View Post
    There's an option on 9000 series 3ware cards to set the priority of verify tasks ("set verify") - I believe "1" is for faster verify and "5" is for slower verify, giving more priority to regular I/O operations. Perhaps you have this set to a higher value?
    Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
    That will happen when a raid is rebuilding its self or verifying its data integrity. And with a raid that BIG, its going to take a while. If you are more concerned about performance and you have customers complaining set the verify priority to the lowest or lower setting atleast. Personally I would set it somewhere in the middle.
    Good pointer. I checked and it's already at 1 (fastest I/O; slowest Verify).

Quote Originally Posted by techflyer View Post
    If it found a bad drive during the verify or a drive kicked offline for a second and is having to rebuild itself, that could take a while with 3TB drives.
    Yes, but if it found a bad drive I think it would have started rebuilding. The status says it's verifying.

I can remove some data and free up some space. Do you think it's a bad idea to do that in the mids of the process?

the 9650 is a VERY slow card, and that's a BIG verify job. I'm not surprised at all.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals