Nameserver Lookup Process

Hi,

A domain has 2 nameservers, ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com.

Does it mean that if someone wants to open my website, ISP will start looking at ns1 first then ns2?

I am asking this since I will want to point ns1 of my domain to the DNS server closer to my target clients(geolocation).

Thanks in advance.
    Cebu Web Solutions - Cpanel Web Hosting | Cebu Web Designs

No, when a browser looks up a domain, it will look at one of the nameservers at random (maybe ns1, maybe ns2). If the first nameserver tried doesn't respond, a second nameserver will be used instead (and if that's down, a third if it exists and so forth). Nameservers are not like MX records which can be given a certain priority.

Quote Originally Posted by i7Grendel View Post
    No, when a browser looks up a domain, it will look at one of the nameservers at random (maybe ns1, maybe ns2). If the first nameserver tried doesn't respond, a second nameserver will be used instead (and if that's down, a third if it exists and so forth). Nameservers are not like MX records which can be given a certain priority.
    Thanks a lot for the info.

How DNS works

Hi pauloray

I don't think this can be done ; it's simply not the way I understand how DNS works.

This is my understanding of DNS.

DNS works roughly like this :

The root servers of the DNS system contain links to the servers for the top level domains e.g. com, edu, uk, de, fr. From those TLD servers, the nameserver for your domain, say example.com, can be reached.

This happens so quickly it's awesome - mostly because a lot of DNS servers out there, including your and my local ones, cache results at least until the TTL runs out for any given record.

A DNS server is a machine or set of load-balanced machines answering DNS queries. It has a fixed IP address of it's own. It has to to be accessible at all times.

Your domain is allocated an IP address which may be unique or shared across a number of domains and that information will be listed in the DNS servers ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com

The reason there are two name servers is for backup/redundancy purposes - if one goes down the other should still be up.

So when your client picks up the IP address of your site, it eventually goes to one of your nameservers to pick it up or picks up the cached IP address for your site on it's way through the DNS hierarchy.

So pointing the ns1.example.com to some other DNS server doesn't make sense - at least to me.

Kind Regards

Lesley

hi lesley

thanks for that detailed info.