Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the SolusVM project dying?

There have been no updates in months and a lot of things no longer work.

Just some of the ones I am aware of off the top of my head.

*Template syncing from node to master on OpenVZ no longer works.
    *Changing root password from WHMCS module no longer works.
    *Java Console to OpenVZ node no longer works.

I am not quite sure about it however java problem they are addressing it with adobe. As the console does not works with latest java version.
    TronicHost.com - Offshore Web Hosting Provider. Netherlands/Romania || 24x7 Support
    Shared/Reseller Hosting | Offshare VPS/Dedicated Server. Paypal/Perfectmony/Payza/Bitcoin accepted

Quote Originally Posted by tnhadmin View Post
    I am not quite sure about it however java problem they are addressing it with adobe. As the console does not works with latest java version.
    You probably mean Oracle. I heard that too but not holding my breath. Java console is the ONLY thing I have run into that got broken with the Java update. I would not think fixing that would be high on Oracles list assuming they even acknowledge it's their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mustardman View Post
    You probably mean Oracle. I heard that too but not holding my breath. Java console is the ONLY thing I have run into that got broken with the Java update. I would not think fixing that would be high on Oracles list assuming they even acknowledge it's their problem.
    This is why I miss Sun...

I wouldn't say they are dying out, they did run into a big issue which lead to a full audit of their code, I would presume that the reason no updates have been released is because they are still fixing bits here and there and it would be pointless to release just a little bit of it to then release another update.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo05 View Post
    This is why I miss Sun...
    Yeah they made a great product shame they sold it out.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    I wouldn't say they are dying out, they did run into a big issue which lead to a full audit of their code, I would presume that the reason no updates have been released is because they are still fixing bits here and there and it would be pointless to release just a little bit of it to then release another update.

Yeah they made a great product shame they sold it out.
    If that was true they could have completely rewritten the panel in less time. Honestly, I built our entire OpenVZ + KVM panel with more features in the areas where it counts and it was pushed out in under 3 months. I wasn't even working full time on the project, only about 6 - 7 hours a day, 5 days a week.

They have a half dozen outsourced developers, & the 2 main developers at their offices and they can't just redo things?

Someone posted the latest BETA changelog on vpsboard and it's laughable. It's all minor things with ploop being the only 'major' part (which isn't even all that major since vzctl handles all of that for you).

Personally? I think they had decided to change outsource groups after the audit and haven't found anyone they like or within the budgets they have set.

Francisco

All issues relating to the audit were released in 2-3 updates after the entire audit was completed as far as I'm aware?

Am a bit concerned if its still an active project as well. Have not heard from Phil in tickets or forum for a while?

They've released an beta update just a few days ago.

http://docs.solusvm.com/release_vers...1_january_2014
    Patrick ~ INIZ

It might die out in couple of years when everyone will be migrating to cloud.
    www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

They have been saying that Java was to blame for the console not working and an upcoming Java release in Jan was going to fix it. Well Java just came out with a new version and guess what. Console still does not work. I'm not a happy camper.

I really don't think they are doing any work on anything. I see that there is a beta that just came out but don't attach much significance to that. I don't know the exact reason but I have definitely noticed a slow down in things. I have asked for a few simple things to be done and I just get generic minimal effort responses. Some of these things that are broken are quite easy fixes and yet there seems to be no effort being put into it. The outsourced guys in India are the only ones who seem to respond to tickets and a lot of the time they are not very helpful. I wonder if they lost interest in the project and moved on to a new shiny object. Maybe they lost their main developer. Seems to me they are just trying to coast right now and collect money. My sense is that something is off and whatever it is they are being quiet about it.
    Last edited by UnfinishedSentenc; 01-16-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Ok I take back the part about Java Console not working with the latest update. It technically will work if you add the entire url including the custom port numbers to the new Java exception site list.

Pretty painful solution. Just not worth the support effort to try explain that to customers. I guess Java Console will be a non-starter for me from now on. Sucks!

What I have been holding out for is V2 which has been promised and then broken multiple times!. Phil himself said that was going to accommodate HA and SAN based storage.

Think we will be moving on from Solus.

When you guys note issues with the console, is that an issue with OpenVZ specifically?

We only use SolusVM with KVM and the console works without any issues on our side even with the latest Java update.

No need to update if it is working fine.

I would rather see them checking every file/code in solus rather than updating it for more features.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    No need to update if it is working fine.

I would rather see them checking every file/code in solus rather than updating it for more features.
    I Second this!

although looking at the change log of the beta, development has slowed right down so something has changed for the worse over at solusvm.
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Quote Originally Posted by mustardman View Post
    *Changing root password from WHMCS module no longer works.
    changing root password from hostbill doesn't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by BenTenn View Post
    It might die out in couple of years when everyone will be migrating to cloud.
    Nothing stopping Solus from developing panels for the "cloud".
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

There is a 3rd party cloud(ish) WHMCS module using Solus. Sort of like what Digital Ocean is doing.
    http://www.docs.modulesgarden.com/So...loud_For_WHMCS

Quote Originally Posted by leckley View Post
    When you guys note issues with the console, is that an issue with OpenVZ specifically?

We only use SolusVM with KVM and the console works without any issues on our side even with the latest Java update.
    KVM console uses VNC so it's a different thing.

When we started building our own VPS infrastructure two years ago we evaluated SolusVM, Virtualizor, CloudMin, and HyperVM. It came down to a close match between SolusVM and Virtualizor. We went with SolusVM.

However, we just purchased a few new nodes for Dunmore, and we're reevaluating Virtualizor and Cloudmin again. This is due in large part to ongoing weirdness we keep experiencing with SolusVM. In my experience, when a company or service heads towards failure, it always begins with ongoing weirdness. It always starts with "just a few little quirks" here and there that don't get fixed. Then come broken promises of glorious new releases that fix everything. Then come a few more quirks. Next thing you know the software has broken down to just its core functionality, and you're scrambling to find something better.

Now would definitely be the time for Virtualizor to make a big push into the market. Or Cloudmin, for that matter.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

I honestly don't think its dying I think there taking there time which is good coding wise.. Some of the best programs take time to build.
    Mrgeekchris.com ~ It's not just a job It's a passion
    "Mistakes are proof that you are trying"

Quote Originally Posted by FRH Lisa View Post
    When we started building our own VPS infrastructure two years ago we evaluated SolusVM, Virtualizor, CloudMin, and HyperVM. It came down to a close match between SolusVM and Virtualizor. We went with SolusVM.

However, we just purchased a few new nodes for Dunmore, and we're reevaluating Virtualizor and Cloudmin again. This is due in large part to ongoing weirdness we keep experiencing with SolusVM. In my experience, when a company or service heads towards failure, it always begins with ongoing weirdness. It always starts with "just a few little quirks" here and there that don't get fixed. Then come broken promises of glorious new releases that fix everything. Then come a few more quirks. Next thing you know the software has broken down to just its core functionality, and you're scrambling to find something better.

Now would definitely be the time for Virtualizor to make a big push into the market. Or Cloudmin, for that matter.
    Out of interest sake, do you know which one of the above you going with this time?

I find it really difficult to find a KVM control panel that can do everything we would like other than going with the full cloud solutions like OnApp ect. which is priced far higher than most of the above.

Both Virtualizor and SolusVM is the closest, and both have their unique little things not working or not supported. SolusVM however still have the better WHMCS addons available if you use the modulesgarden addons.

Also, anyone considered Proxmox VE using the Proxmox VPS WHCMS addon from modulesgarden?

That looks very good to me, though will need testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinuva View Post
    Also, anyone considered Proxmox VE using the Proxmox VPS WHCMS addon from modulesgarden?

That looks very good to me, though will need testing.
    I used to use Proxmox. But i opted for SolusVM after a year or so of using it.

I prefer SolusVM...
    ||High Powered Budget Dedicated Servers*
    ||DDOS Protected High Powered Budget VPS Servers*
    ||DDOS Protected cPanel/WHM Budget Reseller Hosting - NEW!!

We're finally to the point where we can move away from SolusVM and just rolled out our new control panel to our first location with the rest to follow hopefully before the next SolusVM invoice is due.

Aside from the license costs, my biggest issues with them are:
    1) They like to remove/break working features without telling anybody (not even in the change logs) so when you update to get the security fixes you find out from your clients that XYZ no longer works.
    2) Their support is laughable. Every time I open a ticket with their support I pray that the first 3 replies would be helpful but normally by their 3rd reply I just accept that I've wasted my time. Here are 2 good examples:

An actual reply from their support staff:
    There is no big difference between exclude and include.
    Another time, I submitted a bug report and included the code to fix it (SolusVM doesn't check if an IP is already assigned to another VPS) and I specifically asked them to send my ticket to a developer for review, instead the level 1 support guy couldn't comprehend that I didn't want support for a known bug and instead wanted to provide them with the code to fix it.

I'll admit it was a great product in the beginning, but these days it's easier and cheaper for somebody to code a better replacement in-house (this is coming from somebody who still uses Google to help him with PHP arrays and coded a replacement in less than 2 months and only coding on the weekends).
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels Hosts View Post
    I used to use Proxmox. But i opted for SolusVM after a year or so of using it.

I prefer SolusVM...
    Interesting. Was this Proxmox V2 or V3?
    What was wrong with Proxmox that you moved away from it?

Quote Originally Posted by ZKuJoe View Post
    We're finally to the point where we can move away from SolusVM and just rolled out our new control panel to our first location with the rest to follow hopefully before the next SolusVM invoice is due.

Aside from the license costs, my biggest issues with them are:
    1) They like to remove/break working features without telling anybody (not even in the change logs) so when you update to get the security fixes you find out from your clients that XYZ no longer works.
    2) Their support is laughable. Every time I open a ticket with their support I pray that the first 3 replies would be helpful but normally by their 3rd reply I just accept that I've wasted my time. Here are 2 good examples:

An actual reply from their support staff:

Another time, I submitted a bug report and included the code to fix it (SolusVM doesn't check if an IP is already assigned to another VPS) and I specifically asked them to send my ticket to a developer for review, instead the level 1 support guy couldn't comprehend that I didn't want support for a known bug and instead wanted to provide them with the code to fix it.

I'll admit it was a great product in the beginning, but these days it's easier and cheaper for somebody to code a better replacement in-house (this is coming from somebody who still uses Google to help him with PHP arrays and coded a replacement in less than 2 months and only coding on the weekends).
    I can echo the same type of problems I had with SolusVM support. They were very helpful when I asked for a extended trial license to test how their migrations in the control panel work ect.

But when I ask how to do lets say a complete node restore in the event of a full host failure and you want it restored to a new host which you have available and online instead of waiting on someone to go in and manually repair a host, their answer was the restore script is only intended to restore a vps to the same working host, or manually edit xml files. I went Ended up figuring out a better way myself.

So still between a rock and a hard place to figure out which control panel to go with.

We use Proxmox for internal, backend, and development. Would never consider it for Front end. Solus is much better for that imho.

SolusVM is not dying, I think they are changing whole design or structure so they need more time.
    Dewlance® Cheap Windows VPS - Chicago/Orlando/Vegas/AZ - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    Super Cheap Annually Shared Hosting - Canada/US/UK

Out of interest sake, do you know which one of the above you going with this time?
    Not yet. They both have their strong points -- Virtualizor has a vastly superior interface, Cloudmin has an amazing feature set. Virtualizor has built in Xen templates, which is a nice bonus for small hosts like us. It's not like templates are difficult to create, it's just one of those time-consuming things that I'd just as soon pay someone else (Stacklet) to do.
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."

Quote Originally Posted by DewlanceHosting View Post
    SolusVM is not dying, I think they are changing whole design or structure so they need more time.
    I doubt it. They've been rolling features in the current base.

SolusVM2 was supposed to be a redo and done in C but really, given how bad their PHP is, I'd not want to see them doing any full scale C.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    SolusVM2 was supposed to be a redo and done in C but really, given how bad their PHP is, I'd not want to see them doing any full scale C.
    Remember when 2.0 was originally supposed to roll out in 2012? Then early 2013? Then 2013?

Now would be a fantastic time for someone to step up and deliver a really solid replacement.

Remember when 2.0 was originally supposed to roll out in 2012? Then early 2013? Then 2013?

Now would be a fantastic time for someone to step up and deliver a really solid replacement.
    Hostguard's panel is likely top notch.

I've known the owner for quite a few years now and their head dev's also very skilled.

Francisco
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Interesting! But ... no Xen.

The owner and their main dev post on vpsboard so if you take part there you can check their changelogs/development plans. I'm pretty sure XEN support is quite high.

Francisco

We will have Xen ready by the end of the month.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

I've known the owner for quite a few years now and their head dev's also very skilled.

Francisco
    This actually looks very good. They even have a SolusVM to Hostguard conversion process. I also like the rate at which they are releasing new features.

The only question is, they are very brand new, so pretty much no reviews, ect, just hope they stay around at least.

This actually looks very good. They even have a SolusVM to Hostguard conversion process. I also like the rate at which they are releasing new features.

The only question is, they are very brand new, so pretty much no reviews, ect, just hope they stay around at least.
    The owner has been working on it for a few years so he's dedicated.

For what it's worth, if we were still using solus and I didn't have time to build stallion, I would move to this in a heart beat.

The owner, Richard, works full time on hostguard and some of his other projects so he's giving his all behind it

Francisco

The owner has been working on it for a few years so he's dedicated.

For what it's worth, if we were still using solus and I didn't have time to build stallion, I would move to this in a heart beat.

The owner, Richard, works full time on hostguard and some of his other projects so he's giving his all behind it

Francisco
    Perhaps it's just me, but i fail to se what makes HostGuard better than SolusVM? As far as I can tell, it has fewer options and is far worse designed. It's much harder to navigate for the end user.

Quote Originally Posted by UENO View Post
    Perhaps it's just me, but i fail to se what makes HostGuard better than SolusVM? As far as I can tell, it has fewer options and is far worse designed. It's much harder to navigate for the end user.
    Well, for one the developers are pretty active in what goes on, has had their code reviewed multiple times and is paying attention to what users are wanting 'now'.

The owner hasn't tried to hack people, either.

Francisco

The thing that go's wrong with these cheapo control panels is there pricing along with everyones expectations of quality support and constant feature releases for the price there offering the product for it's simply impossible for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast