Extra deep racks

Are providers adopting extra deep racks? the ones that are 120cm in depth? Those will be good way of stacking multiple devices on a single rackspace.
    mission critical!

Quote Originally Posted by nokia3310 View Post
    Are providers adopting extra deep racks? the ones that are 120cm in depth?
    Yeah, quite a few.

Those will be good way of stacking multiple devices on a single rackspace.
    No, not for that.
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support Enterprise Grade Hardware Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    and how will this work in a hot row/cold row architecture?
    Hmm not sure what you mean by hot row/cold row..but i know hetzner have the extra deep racks for their newer rack deployments http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produktmatrix/racks
    mission critical!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven F View Post
    No, not for that.
    What are the extra deep racks for then?
    mission critical!

There are larger chassis out there. Some come with cable management arms: http://www.quantaqct.com/en/01_produ...3&id=144&qs=96. There are reasons.
    Last edited by Steven F; 01-13-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Long servers and other equipment, such as cable management arms, etc.

Hmm not sure what you mean by hot row/cold row..but i know hetzner have the extra deep racks for their newer rack deployments http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produktmatrix/racks
    Datacenters are setup in a particular manner for cooling. one side is providing cold air, one side is extracting hot air. You cannot have the rear of a server facing the cold row, nor can you have 2 chassis's blowing hot air into each other in the middle of the rack/cabinet unless you specifically have a datacenter cooling/ventilation setup to extract hot air from the middle top of a cabinet.

Not only are they not going to let you do that, you would be sucking in HOT AIR from the HOT row into the machines on the back side of the cabinet.

Deep chassis. Stuff like WRONG LINK. I could be wrong, I'm sure there is a place that would allow you to double stack.
    Well there is regular 80cm deep, deep 100cm deep and extra deep 120cm deep

With the extra deep..one can stack a server and a switch/PDU on a 1U space..front and rear...a great feature for small colocation..like 2U-4U..where one can have ones switch and PDU.
    mission critical!

Well there is regular 80cm deep, deep 100cm deep and extra deep 120cm deep

With the extra deep..one can stack a server and a switch/PDU on a 1U space..front and rear...a great feature for small colocation..like 2U-4U..where one can have ones switch and PDU.
    No one is going to let you double stack servers. Maybe stuff like Mac Minis, but not servers/switches/PDUs.

No one is going to let you double stack servers. Maybe stuff like Mac Minis, but not servers/switches/PDUs.
    You'd be surprised.

In one of the DC's I was in they had no extra rails on site so they used to put a single long server that had rails (a colo customers) and stack ontop of that for 6 - 8 U's.

They had a real issue once when said customer wanted their server deracked >_> Thankfully (for them) the customer was remote and wasn't aware of that all.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    You'd be surprised.

In one of the DC's I was in they had no extra rails on site so they used to put a single long server that had rails (a colo customers) and stack ontop of that for 6 - 8 U's.

They had a real issue once when said customer wanted their server deracked >_> Thankfully (for them) the customer was remote and wasn't aware of that all.

Francisco
    wat. I guess people need to start asking for pictures. That's so absurd.

wat. I guess people need to start asking for pictures. That's so absurd.
    The best one I saw was where they simply installed 2 bolts (one on each side) at the front to 'catch' the ears of the server and then had a solid 2U plate that was at the back to hold the back side. This setup was also stacked pretty high (again, 4 - 8 U's)

Francisco
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

The best one I saw was where they simply installed 2 bolts (one on each side) at the front to 'catch' the ears of the server and then had a solid 2U plate that was at the back to hold the back side. This setup was also stacked pretty high (again, 4 - 8 U's)

Francisco
    I've seen much worse, there was another Atlanta datacenter (which will remain nameless) that didn't use rails on their servers and instead used 2x4's to stack between the servers, it was like Jenga when techs needed to take equipment out of the racks. Talk about a fire hazard... lets keep kiln dried wood in the DC!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    I've seen much worse, there was another Atlanta datacenter (which will remain nameless) that didn't use rails on their servers and instead used 2x4's to stack between the servers, it was like Jenga when techs needed to take equipment out of the racks. Talk about a fire hazard... lets keep kiln dried wood in the DC!
    God forbid someone wants a RAM upgrade.

That's hilarious.

Fran

We use 1200mm deep racks where we can, the real advantage is having the ability to mount deeper equipment as well as more room for cable management and use 0U vertical power bars without compromising the back verticals.
    EX Networks Limited (EXN)
    █ Enterprise Managed Services, VMware Cloud, Complex Hosting
    █ UK Datacentre Solutions, IP Transit, Layer 2 Services
    www.exn.uk - Call us on: +44 (0) 203 002 9259

<...> it was like Jenga when techs needed to take equipment out of the racks. <...>
    Hilarious! How is this possible without cooling problems. BTW, I like Jenga
    Time4VPS - flexible, worry-free, fast and affordable VPS hosting in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Time4VPS View Post
    They could have used blanking panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Time4VPS View Post
    Wait, so people put two servers with their backs against each other into these "deep" racks?? I'm no data center engineer, but there's no way those servers would run efficiently with hot air being forced into them.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

Some of the datacenters I have been in, i swear the "cold" aisle was 100+ degrees. Not sure how the servers weren't just failing

We normally use 1050mm deep cabinets, but would love to be able to use 1200mm ones. We use Supermicro servers with rear drive access and the drive always hits the PDU in a 1050mm cabinet.

That's just wow...
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

Quote Originally Posted by techflyer View Post
    Some of the datacenters I have been in, i swear the "cold" aisle was 100+ degrees. Not sure how the servers weren't just failing
    You'd be surprised. Concerning hard drives, when Google did their large population HDD study, they found that failure rates did not begin to significantly increase until you hit 45 degrees Celsius or 113 degrees Fahrenheit: http://static.googleusercontent.com/...k_failures.pdf

Of course those are SMART temps though--not ambient temps in the supposed cold aisle.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

Francisco
    I've seen worse. If you search my posts, you will find the provider . Servers without rails held up by hard drives. Broken floor tiles on a raised floor, consumer grade fans on-top of racks.

It's truly amazing what happens behind closed doors at data centres. Thats why I always push for a tour of the faculty before sending any gear.
    Andrew Wataszko - [email protected]
    Quartet Service Inc
    Cloud Services | Support Services | Technology Management Programs

Deep racks accommodate deep equipment, zeroU PDU's and excess cabling... not back2back servers. That's an airflow nightmare unless you're using some of the new gear specifically designed for that purpose (microcloud hardware)

Quote Originally Posted by Quartet-Andrew View Post
    Servers without rails held up by hard drives. Broken floor tiles on a raised floor, consumer grade fans on-top of racks.
    If we wait long enough someone will post that darn pic of a server in a cardboard box again. I would, but I've lost the darn link.
    There's no such thing as an unmanaged server - It's actually self-managed. Worth remembering next time you're looking for someone to complain to.
    DATA VALUATION SERVICE: Your data's value is linked directly to your backup strategy. If YOU don't have your own backups then YOU value your data at ZERO. So why should anyone else care when you lose it?

Quote Originally Posted by Quartet-Andrew View Post
    I've seen worse. If you search my posts, you will find the provider . Servers without rails held up by hard drives. Broken floor tiles on a raised floor, consumer grade fans on-top of racks.

It's truly amazing what happens behind closed doors at data centres. Thats why I always push for a tour of the faculty before sending any gear.
    Given the state of the current data center, I can't even fathom this.

I would think one would ALWAYS want a tour. Seems really nearsighted (even sans the details above) to buy colo without a tour.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers