6X 1TB 7200 - What is better to do with this? Raid XX ?

Hi there. It's my first experience with 6x disks. I have used 4x, 8x, 16x but 6x never used!

I'm always work with Raid-10, but with 6x Raid 10 is not possible.

The server don't have hardware raid card, I'll need to use software raid!

I have an option to get 8x, but I wants to use this other 2 spaces for 1x 1TB (Local backups) and 1x 512 SSD.

Someone have an experience with 6x disks software raid?

Thanks for help!

You certainly can do RAID-10 with six drives. The only requirement for RAID-10 is having an even number of drives that is equal or greater than four. That would be my recommendation as well.
    TailorMadeServers.Com - Dallas Dedicated Servers since 2003
    joseq@tailormadeservers.com | Skype (TailorMadeServers) | http://twitter.com/tailoredservers

It depends what your goal is. Performance + Reliability then Raid-10. If the goal is just more storage then Raid-5 or Raid-6.

Also, software raid on linux works just fine.

Keep in mind that RAID-5 and RAID-6 carry a much higher CPU overhead than RAID-10, so while you can get more storage with RAID-5, the performance will be considerably lower not only because of the RAID-5 design, but also because the CPU will be more heavily tasked.
    joseq@tailormadeservers.com | Skype (TailorMadeServers) | http://twitter.com/tailoredservers

Yaaaa... lol... I think that with 6 drives we can't use for raid10.

Raid 10 is always the best. And as I see, without hw raid, using software raid. It's not bad. Good speed with sw raid 10.

No, you can use 6 drives in Raid-10. Its very common and many do it to give additional space requirements or IO benefits from the additional drives and higher stripe level.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Think after 4, only 8 will be accepted. =)

Anyway thank you!

RAID 10 is a series of two or more striped RAID-1 arrays (pairs).

Each drive (letters) is mirrored, for example:

Drive A1 and Drive A2 are a RAID-1 pair, let's call it Array A. Drive A1 and A2 are identical images of each other.
    Drive B1 and Drive B2 are a second RAID-1 pair, calling it Array B. Drive B1 and B2 are identical to each other as well.

You then create a RAID-0 of RAID A and RAID B, making it a RAID-1 + RAID-0: 1+0 = 10.

You can have additional sets of RAID-1 arrays or pairs, and create a RAID-10 with however many pairs. They just need to be an even number. Many of our servers hold exactly six drives, and most of them are setup as a RAID-10 so it is definitely doable.

JoseQ

op is using the word "think" and meaning "thought". thats why you all are confused.

Good catch.

If you don't have a RAID card, I would consider going with ZFS. If your OS supports it, it's a really cool and robust filesystem with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS - JoseQ View Post
    Keep in mind that RAID-5 and RAID-6 carry a much higher CPU overhead than RAID-10, so while you can get more storage with RAID-5, the performance will be considerably lower not only because of the RAID-5 design, but also because the CPU will be more heavily tasked.
    That's why I commented that it depends on the goal, and how Raid-10 is the route to go for performance, and Raid-5/6 for just storage.

Quote Originally Posted by reldegart View Post
    op is using the word "think" and meaning "thought". thats why you all are confused.
    Sorry my English is not good at all.

You can definitely use 6 Hard drives with RAID10. Have you tried it yet?
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za

You can absolutely use 6 disks for RAID 10.

I like this site that explains pros and cons of each RAID setup - http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/...vels-tutorial/
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

RAID10 only needs to have an even number of drives when the RAID1's it's built on top of are comprised of 2 drives. Keep in mind RAID1 does not have to be 2 drives exactly, you can have 3, 4, 5, or any number in a RAID1 so long as it's 2 or more. So you can very well have a 9x drive RAID10 if it consists of striping across 3x RAID1's with 3x drives each. Generally, you won't find anyone using more than 2 drives in a RAID1, but there are situations where it could make sense to do so. For instance, with 4x drives and software RAID, you could have a RAID1 cross all 4x drives for /boot as you cannot boot from RAID10.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami