Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Windows VPS with SQL 2008R2 or 2012?

    Hello everyone. I currently have a couple of VPS's with softsys hosting, but I'm open to changing. I think I may be able to do better. I also like their support and billing process less and less lately.

    The below is what I need for a VPS:

    - 80GB+ hard drive
    - Windows 2008R2 64bit or later
    - SQL 2008R2 (or 2012) Web Edition (no limit on # of DBs or size of each DB)
    - 2 static IPs for it (ability to add more as needed)
    - 1000GB+ bandwidth
    - 2GB ram (4 would be better)
    - 2 vCPUs
    - Administrative Remote Desktop Access
    - WebsitePanel if possible

    I'd appreciate any details from hosts and/or customer comments. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Merville BC
    Posts
    608
    I also like their support and billing process less and less lately.
    What exactly? I am looking closely at this company right now
    Three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by oooshola View Post
    - SQL 2008R2 (or 2012) Web Edition (no limit on # of DBs or size of each DB)
    There should be no limit on number of dbs or size if you host MSSQL server on your VPS. VPS needs to have enough power to handle the load if you host many SQL dbs.
    You can try this link to request quote from providers.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

  4. #4
    Why do you need it with SQL Express installed? If you can install it yourself then you can get pretty much any VPS in the offers section. If you limit it to only offers that include SQL installed then you would limiting your options very much.

    Of course you can always ask hosts if they can install it as an extra for you.
    ZerOne Hosting
    Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Exchange | SharePoint | Web Hosting Services
    Advanced Data Restore | 100% SSD Storage

  5. #5

    Lightbulb

    I am working with softsys hosting for quite long...
    and i'm very pleased!

    Once a time i'm trying a trail / month with other companies to compare...

    Right now i'm trying Hosting Source for the comparing..

    It is all depend of what you need !? what are about to host, what kind of site or what do you want to operate with VPS...

    there are too many companies these days..

    In the past i was using Exmasters, They are good! but a bit expansive..

    I'm running an adult sites so this is why i'm using them!

    So if you want to leave softsys, Try Exmasters if you have a larger budget

    Good Luck!
    Z.

  6. #6

    softsys and other comments

    Hello all,

    I should be a bit more clear. Softsys isn't a total failure; I've been with them for years for a reason. I just haven't looked at any other hosts for a while, so I really want to see if I can do better. Plus, to answer your question @askthexperts: their emergency maintenance alerts could use work. You don't get alert emails when your server crashes; you have to monitor their announcement page or twitter feed on your own. I also had a recent snafu where they accidentally suspended my account because there was an addon they thought I was late in paying for. I will say they've since apologized and are offering me credits to my account (interestingly after I came to this forum yesterday).

    So it's little things like that which over time make me want to consider shopping around. But with the size and complexity of my sites, it will be a bit of a hassle to transfer hosts. So I'm somewhat complacent with Softsys but if another host can impress me enough, then we'll see.

    @zerone, I need Web Edition, not Express. That's one thing I do like about softsys is that they offer it as an addon and install it for you.

    @PremiumHost thanks for the link.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by oooshola View Post
    @zerone, I need Web Edition, not Express.
    Sorry for that, I missed it in your original post. But still, every host that offers Windows uses SPLA (it's a special licensing scheme for hosting companies) which means they can offer SQL Web edition too. Installation is not usually an issue, just shortlist some providers and ask them about it.

    What are you using SQL for? Web edition has some special licensing requirements.

    Something else to consider; you can run MSSQL on one VPS and not on two. I'm not sure if that's what you are doing now (you said you have two VPSs), but if you are not then it's definitely something worth looking into. The first VPS would be running SQL and the second one can connect to it through an internal only private NIC (traffic will NOT be on the internet this way, not even on a LAN). This way you can have the second VPS with much, much lower resources allocated (SQL tends to need a lot of RAM, not to mention CPU under some usage scenarios). Most providers can do that for you, it's certainly possible on Hyper-V but I believe all hypervisors allow this one way or the other.
    ZerOne Hosting
    Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Exchange | SharePoint | Web Hosting Services
    Advanced Data Restore | 100% SSD Storage

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerOne Hosting View Post
    Sorry for that, I missed it in your original post. But still, every host that offers Windows uses SPLA (it's a special licensing scheme for hosting companies) which means they can offer SQL Web edition too. Installation is not usually an issue, just shortlist some providers and ask them about it.

    What are you using SQL for? Web edition has some special licensing requirements.

    Something else to consider; you can run MSSQL on one VPS and not on two. I'm not sure if that's what you are doing now (you said you have two VPSs), but if you are not then it's definitely something worth looking into. The first VPS would be running SQL and the second one can connect to it through an internal only private NIC (traffic will NOT be on the internet this way, not even on a LAN). This way you can have the second VPS with much, much lower resources allocated (SQL tends to need a lot of RAM, not to mention CPU under some usage scenarios). Most providers can do that for you, it's certainly possible on Hyper-V but I believe all hypervisors allow this one way or the other.
    I actually am using one vps for SQL and one for the web, just as you described.

    What "special licensing requirements" are you referring to? SQL web edition is simply a $30/month addon at softsys. I didn't need to do anything special, and they installed it for me. Do you have a similar offer/setup?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by oooshola View Post
    I actually am using one vps for SQL and one for the web, just as you described.
    I see, then you already have an optimal setup in this regard.

    Quote Originally Posted by oooshola View Post
    What "special licensing requirements" are you referring to? SQL web edition is simply a $30/month addon at softsys. I didn't need to do anything special, and they installed it for me. Do you have a similar offer/setup?
    In a nutshell: Web Edition can be used only on public and Internet accessible applications.

    So for example a SharePoint site that is used only by your employees or partners cannot use SQL Web Edition.

    We do, but as I said pretty much any Windows VPS provider can do that for you.
    ZerOne Hosting
    Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Exchange | SharePoint | Web Hosting Services
    Advanced Data Restore | 100% SSD Storage

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by oooshola View Post
    I actually am using one vps for SQL and one for the web, just as you described.
    Transferring entire SQL server to a new server is fairly easy. Make sure you install same SQL version & edition, install all upgrades/updates required. Replace entire data folder with databases on old server, restart service and the transfer is completed. Same for web server but you need assistance from provider.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

  11. #11
    For MSSQL you would best use SQL Server Management Studio for backing up and importing DBs.

    Also, if your current provider as well as your next one use the same hypervisor (Hyper-V for example), you can request a complete export of your VPS and send that to the new provider for importing. In this case, all you have to do is update your IP settings wherever necessary and you should be good to go.

    It might also be possible to convert a Hyper-V VM to something else if necessary. Although this takes more work from the provider's side so it might not be free of extra charges.
    ZerOne Hosting
    Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Exchange | SharePoint | Web Hosting Services
    Advanced Data Restore | 100% SSD Storage

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,877
    Use what you need. I'm still using 2005 on one server.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2013, 08:43 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2013, 08:42 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 11:34 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 11:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •