wholesale/datashack/ovh out of servers

Are these companies going out of business? How is it possible for all their servers to sold out ?
    What is going on?

If not, when will there be new servers ?

When? The best way to find out is to ask their sales department, not WHT.

This article should answer the question of why they are out of servers: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...cated-servers/
    NewYorkCityServers.com - Specializing In Dedicated Servers and Financial Hosting
    True Enterprise Service, Tier 3 Manhattan Datacenter, 100+ Gbps Network, 100% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7 Support - Email, Tickets, Phone and Live Chat
    Bandwidth Graphs, Remote Power Control, Automated OS Re-installs, Secured IPMI+KVM Included With Every Server

a) Investment capital is not unlimited;
    b) There was a surge on cheap server purchases due to Bitcoin and Altcoins mining;
    c) OVH specifically has done it on purpose. Search the archives for more info.

Blame the <removed> *coin miners.
    HostUS - Premium Hosting Made Affordable
    EIGHT Worldwide locations spanning USA, Europe & Asia Pacific
    Own ASN, Own Network, Own IP's - AS7489 & AS25926

OVH is not really out of stuck, at least what I can see on their website - They was out of stock earlier tho.

Follow-up forum servers in the WHT there are special offers on a daily basis and the prices are excellent

Follow-up from their FB Twitter.when server come you can get notice.
    Web Host Fly - Fly with us!
    █ Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting and cheap Dedicated Servers!
    100% Up-time | 60 Minute Hardware Replacement | 24x7x365 Support | cPanel Managed Server

Personally when a company tells me they're sold out the last thing that seems like a option that comes to my mind is going out of business

It can only be one thing - they've sold all their stock and/or space allotment. There is not a unlimited amount of space for servers or stock of servers.

There are other people on the planet also looking to buy hosting as well.

This bitcoin thing is a pain for stock with budget providers. Some people are buying like 50+ servers at a time for a month or two. It adds up and causes others to have to wait for spots to come available.
    █ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by rits View Post
    Personally when a company tells me they're sold out the last thing that seems like a option that comes to my mind is going out of business

It can only be one thing - they've sold all their stock and/or space allotment. There is not a unlimited amount of space for servers or stock of servers.

There are other people on the planet also looking to buy hosting as well.

This bitcoin thing is a pain for stock with budget providers. Some people are buying like 50+ servers at a time for a month or two. It adds up and causes others to have to wait for spots to come available.
    OVH built 2 datacenters last year, and surely they didn't run out of space.

They went 'out of stock' because they needed to find a way, to financially keep running, not saying that they was on the edge of crashing, because I don't think they're stupid, they can see if trends start to occur, and that's why they did stop selling, because they needed to rethink their financial strategy.

Some people might say that stopping selling servers is financially bad, but on the other hand, if they don't sell anything, they don't have expenses for new servers, which they're going to trash maybe, because someone didn't need the server anyway.

Now they did rethink their way of selling things, by adding a small setup fee, some prices changed a bit.

Personally, I think they're going to do just fine, they will loose some customers because of the setup fee, but those people that are serious about a long term relationship with a company, probably doesn't care, because 50 or even 100 euro setup fee isn't a lot.

But again, I don't use OVH, so I don't know about exactly what is going on, maybe others know

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting4Real View Post
    But again, I don't use OVH, so I don't know about exactly what is going on, maybe others know
    OVH started selling better servers at a better or same price compared to their old servers. There was a huge demand for the new servers but it was mainly existing customers abandoning their old OVH servers - servers that OVH hadn't paid off yet. This happens at any host but to lesser degree. It was overwhelming at OVH so they put up "Sold Out" notices until they figure out a strategy to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    OVH started selling better servers at a better or same price compared to their old servers. There was a huge demand for the new servers but it was mainly existing customers abandoning their old OVH servers - servers that OVH hadn't paid off yet. This happens at any host but to lesser degree. It was overwhelming at OVH so they put up "Sold Out" notices until they figure out a strategy to handle it.
    Make sense then - if I have a server, I personally use it until it gets old, I know servers has a cost, and that it takes time to pay off, so I use the servers for more than a few months, preferably for years!

Quote Originally Posted by rits View Post
    It seems to me that this is more than a pain - it could represent a significant financial risk to the budget dedicated server providers. I have no inside knowledge of their business plans but just based on prices I'm sure they'd be looking for clients to stay at least a few months to pay back the cost of hardware. So if the miners move on to something else next month, that's a lot of servers sitting idle - bringing in no income and and not yet paid off. Not quite the same as the OVH situation (apparently that was more self-inflicted) but still a potentially serious problem.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting4Real View Post
    OVH is not really out of stuck, at least what I can see on their website - They was out of stock earlier tho.
    OVH were never out of stock, they simply stopped sales while they figured out what to do (and kept building servers during that period).

Their whole situation was made worse through poor translation of the original French bulletins. As soon as the word "turnover" appeared a number of people jumped on the bandwaggon and assumed "financial turnover" was a problem. Had the translation been more accurate everyone would have understood more that they were talking about churn.
    There's no such thing as an unmanaged server - It's actually self-managed. Worth remembering next time you're looking for someone to complain to.
    DATA VALUATION SERVICE: Your data's value is linked directly to your backup strategy. If YOU don't have your own backups then YOU value your data at ZERO. So why should anyone else care when you lose it?

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    It seems to me that this is more than a pain - it could represent a significant financial risk to the budget dedicated server providers.
    Agreed. In my talks with other providers, it seems many are treading lightly with miners to avoid the risk of crash/non-payment. It take a lot of time and money to set up 50+ servers. If the customer backs out after 2 months, the provider takes the hit. I'd be willing to bet OVH is just being extra careful to avoid a precarious situation.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

If you are looking for a budget provider you can try Joe's DataCenter or Hetzner. Those are not out of servers.
    Amanah Tech Inc. | Always On.
    100TB Dedicated Servers & 100TB Colocation.
    http://www.amanah.com

Thank you all... it is much clearer now